Tutorial How to use a larger than 2TB Hard Drive on a Wii as a Single FAT32 Partition

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, most apps cannot access GPT drives and that is why they are the issue for the moment. I have heard that if you ONLY use Nintendont & USB Loader-GX it is possible to use a NTFS GPT drive. But like you I don't want to be limited to just those two applications and must use a FAT32 MBR drive to have everything compatible.

Seeing the above steps make the Western Digital drive MBR you should have no problems using a 5TB or larger drive to keep everything on it.

I know. Last I knew NEEK2o needs a 32k cluster. So I'm asking if this way is compatible with all Homebrew. Including NEEK2o. I want to.be able to store EmuNANDS for Rockband on the HDD

Reactions: ca032769

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know. Last I knew NEEK2o needs a 32k cluster. So I'm asking if this way is compatible with all Homebrew. Including NEEK2o. I want to.be able to store EmuNANDS for Rockband on the HDD

Well, I have always had my EmuNAND on my 256GB SDXC card so I could easily pop it back and forth between the Wii & PC. At this time I cannot confirm from personnel experience that EmuNAND works on the HDD using 64k or 256k clusters.

Everything else works so give it a try and let me/us know.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I have always had my EmuNAND on my 256GB SDXC card so I could easily pop it back and forth between the Wii & PC. At this time I cannot confirm from personnel experience that EmuNAND works on the HDD using 64k or 256k clusters.

Everything else works so give it a try and let me/us know.
I need the emunand to work on both the SD and the HDD. As I previously stated. The hard drive needs to work for everything. It needs to work for ROMs and needs to work for NEEK. Rockband has its own EmuNANDS. Several of them. I have every single song from all the guitar Heroes and all of the rock bands injected into a few different emunand in order to accommodate them all. This works on 2TB and 32k cluster. I can't get it to work with a higher cluster because of limitations of NEEK. I want everything functional. I am also running every single emulator available. Some of the older ones have never been updated. With my 2 terabyte drive everything used to work. I want the same experience with my 5 terabyte drive. I don't want to have to have an SD card because my kids switch them in order to switch their personal Emunand. So once again I'm back to I need everything to work off of a hard drive. I'm not trying to be convinced to do it a different way because it doesn't work for me. I can definitely confirm it does not work on a hard drive with 64k or 256k clusters unless there's some kind of way to trick it. 256gb won't fit even 1 of the RockBand EmuNANDs anyway.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need the emunand to work on both the SD and the HDD. As I previously stated. The hard drive needs to work for everything. It needs to work for ROMs and needs to work for NEEK. Rockband has its own EmuNANDS. Several of them. I have every single song from all the guitar Heroes and all of the rock bands injected into a few different emunand in order to accommodate them all. This works on 2TB and 32k cluster. I can't get it to work with a higher cluster because of limitations of NEEK. I want everything functional. I am also running every single emulator available. Some of the older ones have never been updated. With my 2 terabyte drive everything used to work. I want the same experience with my 5 terabyte drive. I don't want to have to have an SD card because my kids switch them in order to switch their personal Emunand. So once again I'm back to I need everything to work off of a hard drive. I'm not trying to be convinced to do it a different way because it doesn't work for me. I can definitely confirm it does not work on a hard drive with 64k or 256k clusters unless there's some kind of way to trick it. 256gb won't fit even 1 of the RockBand EmuNANDs anyway.

Looking for others that have tried EmuNAND using 64k or 256k clusters of the HDD to confirm if they were able to get it to work or not. Has anyone else tried it? I'm slammed between working full time and going to school full time, so it might take a bit before I can try it myself.

For now I'll edit the OP to note that EmuNAND has been reported NOT to work with this method using 64k or 256k cluster size and the only choice seems to be to use EmuNAND off an SD card or 4TB or lower HDD with 32k cluster size.

@mikefor20 - Unless someone can confirm a working EmuNAND using a 64k cluster size, and the steps needed to make it work, it does not look like this will be your single drive solution. I wish it were, but it is not looking good.

Last edited by ca032769,
Reactions: jeannotte and XFlak

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm that neek does not work

Thanks Mike.

Anyone else out there, besides Mike, that has tried EmuNAND on a 5TB+ HDD that can conform working or not working?

Maybe a different setup is working for someone? If so please let us know and post a Syscheck so we can see what settings and IOSs you have installed.

Not sure if anyone else has tried EmuNAND on the HDD. While several people have been referred to this process over the years, there have only been a few of us that I know of that have actually used it to set up a large 5TB+ HDD. Probably not a lot of people following this tread or using large HDDs that have tried to setup EmuNAND on it to draw from. Up to this point if there's more than 15 of us using large 5TB+ HDDs I'd be surprised.

It was mostly a proof of concept experiment of mine that lead to having the current ability. I got lucky and always used WD drives and one day hit upon what was needed to make it work. Most of the others attempting this had Seagate drives, which were very popular, but they were not able to get it to work and eventually gave up. Turned out the WD drives still had what was need in their control hardware (or something like that) to allow the necessary cylinder emulation something or other. I got lucky, just happen to have the right type of drive, was interested enough in experimenting around, gave it a shot (on and off over a few years) trying to figure it out, and then wa-lah 5 years ago this process was born and eventually refined to what I have posted here. Problem is that when the Wii was at it's height of being popular this method remained buried in a thread. I should have put it into the wild back then for others to take a crack at improving on. I think the few of us were just happy at the time it did what we wanted and our own personnel setups worked.

From time to time someone comes looking on how to do this. Rather than having to find and refer them to that buried 5 year old post, the process is now here for better visibility.

Last edited by ca032769,

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know which version of EaseUS to use? I bought the 5tb western digital that the OP linked to, but I don't see the option to convert it to MBR.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know which version of EaseUS to use? I bought the 5tb western digital that the OP linked to, but I don't see the option to convert it to MBR.
Sorry for the late response. As @ber71 mentioned, you'll want to use the WD Quick Format Utility and select XP mode.

For your question, to get the CONVERT TO MBR option you need to right click the drive to convert and then select CONVERT TO MBR, see step 2a in the instructions. But this will most likely error out for you because the drive is larger than 2TB. I haven't tried it in a while, but I did ask EaseUS to add in the function to convert larger drives, but I doubt they ever added it.

You are going to want to use step 2b because of the drive size. Use the WD Quick Format Utility to convert the drive to XP compatible. Doing this causes the drive to be reformatted as MBR.

Reactions: jeannotte
General chit-chat
Help Users
    KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie: https://youtube.com/shorts/xbuzqFyctQQ?feature=share