Hacking How to upgrade DStwo with 1.4.3u DSi XL?

robbgerard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,

I dropped my DSi XL in the toilet on an airplane so I had to buy a new one. I got a used one and unfortunately it has been upgraded to 1.4.3u and now my DStwo supercard won't work: the Fish Tycoon logo shows up but upon selecting it I very quickly get an error message.

Is there any way for me to upgrade the supercard without using a DS lite or non-upgraded console? I don't have access to a second machine.

Thanks for any suggestions!

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
IIRC you could place the update on the DSTwo and boot your card.
Wait 5 minutes and it should be updated.

I'm not really sure about it so best wait for someone to confirm it.

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if its an airplane toilet it should be fine. (why did you even take it to the bathroom anyway?)
like ^ said but you have to reanme the dstwoupdate.dat file to dstwoupdateb.dat and wait 5 mins on the error screen

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you people keep on recommending other people update their firmware for DSi compatibility? As I've said numerous times before, the firmware updates are only for 3DS compatibility. All the you need to do for DSi/XL compatibility is copy-paste the latest EOS onto your memory card and overwrite the old files.

robbgerard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, I put the DSi in my back pocket when I went to the toilet so it wouldn't get stolen and after doing my business I stood up and it fell out of my pocket and into the toilet. bad luck!

"reanme the dstwoupdate.dat file to dstwoupdateb.dat and wait 5 mins on the error screen"

Thanks! I will try this when I get home today.

Terminator02, as for simply copy-pasting the latest EOS, that definitely did not seem to work (I did that and waited on the error screen for 30 minutes, and the error screen came right back upon restarting).

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waiting on the error screen will do nothing, that's only if you're trying to use the alternate method to update the firmware, which will do nothing for DSi compatibility. If you're still getting an error screen while using the latest EOS, it must be a contact problem between the MicroSD card and the DSTWO.

robbgerard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the response T02.

Not likely a contact problem - I have several microSD cards and they all react the same way.

So my next question is, how to update to the latest EOS when I automatically get the error message upon selecting 'fish tycoon' and booting to the card? It doesn't seem to matter what is on the MicroSD which is why firmware seems to be the problem. The consensus seems to be that you must update using a DS or non-upgraded DSi, but I don't have access to a second console to do this (hence my original question).

Are you saying that all I should have to do is put the latest EOS file onto the microSD (after formatting it and with nothing else on it), and start it up? I think I tried this to no avail. If this isn't the method, please let me know how to work it!

Thanks again to the ultimate max!

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That method only works on the 3DS, I don't think it works on the dsi(XL). But it might be useful information for the OP in the future, so here's a tutorial.

Waiting on the error screen will do nothing, that's only if you're trying to use the alternate method to update the firmware, which will do nothing for DSi compatibility. If you're still getting an error screen while using the latest EOS, it must be a contact problem between the MicroSD card and the DSTWO.
I'm pretty sure the EOS is associated with game compatibility, not the compatibility to dsi firmwares. I don't think updating the EOS will make the dstwo compatible with the latest dsi firmware. :unsure:

So my next question is, how to update to the latest EOS when I automatically get the error message upon selecting 'fish tycoon' and booting to the card? It doesn't seem to matter what is on the MicroSD which is why firmware seems to be the problem. The consensus seems to be that you must update using a DS or non-upgraded DSi, but I don't have access to a second console to do this (hence my original question).
You can update by simply downloading the latest EOS (here), but that will only affect game compatibility. The 'fish tycoon' dstwo's are only compatible to 1.4.0~1.4.1 dsi firmwares, so you'll have to update your dstwo. The one compatible with 1.4.2~1.4.4 is the 'Alex Rider' icon (you can find a nice chart here by xenon).

Unfortunately (unless the method given by Dinoh doesn't work on the dsi), you won't be able to update, unless you have a ds phat, ds lite, or a 3ds.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That method only works on the 3DS, I don't think it works on the dsi(XL). But it might be useful information for the OP in the future, so here's a tutorial.
That method should work for any DS, it just requires that the DSTWO already be on a specific firmware (somewhere around 1.11 I believe, not sure where exactly) or higher for that to actually function. After you use the traditional update method with a DS/Lite/i/XL, you should be able to use that alternative method.

I'm pretty sure the EOS is associated with game compatibility, not the compatibility to dsi firmwares. I don't think updating the EOS will make the dstwo compatible with the latest dsi firmware. :unsure:
I'm 100% sure that EOS updates (simply copying the newest files) allow for compatibility with newer DSi firmwares. This has been one of the unique features of the DSTWO since it was launched, instead of requiring a firmware flash, they instead located the necessary information for faking the game cartridge in the DSi in the Kernel (EOS) itself. See picture of previous EOS updates and their change logs:
nlHJB.png

Are you saying that all I should have to do is put the latest EOS file onto the microSD (after formatting it and with nothing else on it), and start it up? I think I tried this to no avail. If this isn't the method, please let me know how to work it!
Yes, if you download the EOS that I linked to and put it on your card it should work fine.

I'm just wondering, when you dropped your DSi XL into the toilet, was the DSTWO in it, and did it get wet? You might have shorted something out in the DSTWO or the MicroSD card or otherwise messed it up.

Reactions: 1 person

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just updating EOS won't make it compatible with newer dsi(xl) or 3ds firmwares.
EOS is just the operating system. Whenever a firmware totally blocks the cart, an update for the cart is needed.
When its a specific game that won't run, an EOS update is needed.
Whenever the 3ds has had a cart-blocking firmware update, I have to update the cart itself using a ds lite.
Your best bet is to find someone with a lite you can use. It only takes a few seconds.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just updating EOS won't make it compatible with newer dsi(xl) or 3ds firmwares.
EOS is just the operating system. Whenever a firmware totally blocks the cart, an update for the cart is needed.
When its a specific game that won't run, an EOS update is needed.
Whenever the 3ds has had a cart-blocking firmware update, I have to update the cart itself using a ds lite.
Your best bet is to find someone with a lite you can use. It only takes a few seconds.
That's completely wrong, Let me pull out the changelog for the last Firmware update and for the last EOS update.
2012-05-21
Fixed for
Meitantei Conan - Kakokara no Zensou Kyoku(J)
----------------------------------------------------------
2012-03-23
Added support for DSi v1.4.4 & v1.4.5
Note: If the icon of your card is "Fish Tycoon" it will cost 5-6s to load. If it's "Alex Rider: Stormbreaker", will be faster.
2011-11-8
Fixed for Camping Mama: Outdoor Advenures(U)
2011-9-8
Fixed for Kirby Mass Attack(U)
2011-9-3
New patch for Atsumete Kirby(Chinese)!
2011-8-18
New patch for Atsumete Kirby(J), you can run it with patch mode now!
2011-8-4
Fixed: Atsumete Kirby(J) (Force to use Clean mode, require high-speed microsd card)
2011-7-23
1, Added a new tech for AP which likes the kind for Nora to Toki no Koubou: Kiri no Mori no Majo(j)
2011-7-18
1, Fixed: Captain America: Super Soldier(E)

Update: 2011-6-30
the support for the latest NDSI 1.4.3 system.

Update: 2011-5-12
the support for the latest NDSI 1.4.2 (Chinese to 1.4.3) system

DSTWO EOS v1.11 Update: 2011-3-9
1, Updated to v1.11 EOS. Added AutorunLastRom function, you can turn on/off it in the setting option of game select menu. You can run your last played game directly by selecting "DS_GAME" in the plugin menu after turned on this function. If you want to enter game select menu after turned on this function, please hold on B to select DS_GAME plugin.
2, Fixed some Japanese letters can't be recognized.

DSTWO EOS v1.09 Update: 2011-01-22
1. Fixed Hello Kitty Big City Dreams(E)
2. Fixed Battle of Giants: Mutant Insects(U)
3. Fixed Bleach Dark Souls(U)
4. Fixed Real-Time-Cheat display bug for some games (include "0" in their crc32)
5. Fixed Real-Time-Guide display bug for some games when your named RTG file as different letter case with rom file
6. Fixed the GBA union for Rockman(#0484) and Pokemon(#0026)
7. Fixed the bug for some homebrews which use (__system_argv), like "MyNitro"

2011-1-13
1, fixed real-time-cheat cant display for some games which contain "0" in their crc32
2, fixed real-time-guide cant display for some games
2011/01/12
Fixed the GBA union for Rockman(#0484) and Pokemon(#0026)
2010/12/22
Fixed the downloadplay issue for some games
2010/12/17
We forgot to add the anti-crash codes for EUR/USA version of Castlevania: Portrait Of Ruin
Added it now :P
2010/11/24
We solve low-speed card problem for MvD(U) yesterday.
But we found u may get a black screen @stage6-2, so we updated again.
----------------------------
2010/11/23
add a card reading function patch
MvD(U) should work on almost slow cards now.

2010/11/22
Still some slow cards users cant run Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini-land Mayhem! (U), so we improved the card read speed again.
We had tested with some microsd cards we have, works on all of them.
2010/11/18
We saw there are still some users report Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini-land Mayhem! (U) does not work with the patch of 16th
Maybe their microsd card is too slow, so we set the card speed to the max for Anti-Piracy check.
2010/11/16
Fixed bugs of Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini-land Mayhem! (U)
2010/11/13
Fixed New Carnival Funfair Games(EUR) with PATCH mode.

Update: 2010-10-21
1, Fixed file system (Fixed the crash bug when filename is less than 8 letters and there is space in it)
2, Fixed save bugs of Summon Night(J) & Summon Night 2(J)
3, Fixed crash bug of Pokemon Black connection
4, Fixed touch bug of Real Time Menu

update: 2010-09-28
1, Fixed Rabbids Go Home
2, Supports V1.4.2C/V1.4.1J/V1.4.1U/V1.4.1E Fireware
3, Save wirte/read speed up
4, Fixed the bug of some cheats cant be shown in Real-Time menu
5, Fixed a save files recognise mistake bug

Update£º2010-09-20
DSTWO Compatible (DSi firmware 1.4.1)

Update£º2010-09-04
1, Fixed the unstable crush bug in game (added a check to check if the card is reading busy)
2, Added a simple hotkey mode.
Full hotkey mode is the same as the in-game hotkey mode before. But in-game menu does not work with some very special games (like Mario RPG 3) before, so we had added a simply hotkey mode, you can enter in-game menu by simply hotkey mode, but Real-Time-Save&Real-Time-Load dont work, other functions work.
You can set the hotkey in the start menu of game browser windows.
3, Use hardware mode to emulate the special command of pokemon games.

update: 2010-08-21
1, Fixed the crush bug of Brain Age Series
2, Fixed the crush bug of Animal Crossing Chinese translated version.
3, Added the rumble, browser funcation(set in the system menu) for slot-2 series, supports SC slot-2 carts and 3in1 cart.
4, optimized read speed.
5, added reset hotkey(Select button) for the Real-Time menu.

update :2010-08-05
1. Fixed 0396, 5140 Galaxy Racers reading save data error problem.
2. Fixed 0856 Bleach 2nd can not save problem.
3. Fixed 5116 Keshikasu Japanese version (clean mode)
4. Fixed the cheat code blank list problem in some games.
5. Added GBA linkage function.
Q: How to use GBA linkage function?
A: Usage: NAME.nds, NAME.nds.gba, NAME.nds.gba.sav. These three files are DS game file, GBA game file, GBA game save. NAME which can be user defined. This feature is selected by the user to open, choose the interface in the start menu, select System Settings option.
6. Added the WII linkage functions.
7. The main menu by using cyclic mode
8. Added support ez3 in 1, superCard lite, superCard MINI SD, superCard SD, superCard CF
9. Update Korean language package
10. Added prevent halt in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.

Update: 2010-07-02
1. Fixed 2971 Star Wars Clone Wars.
2. Fixed save corrupt problem of 0856 - Bleach DS 2nd - Kokui Hirameku Requiem (JP) (WRG).
3. Enable to modify the desktop icon "DS_GAME", just edit the dstwo_game.ini file (it's in "_dstwoplug" folder, edit the same way as other plug-ins).
4. Added a sort type, text list.
5. Fixed a bug which touch invalid of text part in file list.
6. Fixed reset in the game return to desktop, switch to game list.
7. Fixed the amount of shin limitation.
8. Changed desktop icon from cycle show to single way, and removed the space plug-in icon .
9. Fixed the real-time menu splash screen problem.
10. Enhanced homebrew compatibility.
11. Fixed Eigokoro Kyoushitsu DS(J) The save file size should be 64Mb, please del the old 512kb save file of it

update :2010-06-01
1, Update the file system, remove checking storage space function to improve reading speed.
2, Added system file protection, user could not operate on system files to avoid system corrupt.
3, Fixed ReadTime Save display time error bug.
4, Fixed save problem, when the patch database save size is different from customer save size setting, will keep customer save size.
5, Fixed a cheat code bug. Sometimes, the cheat code does not display

6, Fixed GameWatch Games Collection, RPG tools.
1222 - Archime DS (J)
2360 - LOL (U)
2645 - Bakushow
7, Fixed downplay function.
8, Added DSTWO provide Soft-Reset function for Homebrew. Any homebrew software run ¡°_dstwo/reset2desktop.nds¡± file can return to DSTWO desktop.

update:2010-05-22
Fix "Made in Ore"&"RPG Tool DS"
Fix "4951 Daigasso! Band Brothers",The save is normal now
Fix "4952 Prince of Persia(Black screen Error)",If you want to play,Premise is clean mode
Increase capacity detect in disk for enter the game,Avoid roms generate the bad damage the game system
Update: 2012-04-25
1.15 firmware upgrade support for 3ds v3.0.0.7x system

Update: 2011-11-7
1.13 firmware upgrade support for 3ds v2.2.0-4J system & Fixed Mario 3DS

Update: 2011-6-9
1.12 firmware upgrade support for the 3ds v2.0 system

Update: 2011-5-12
the support for the latest NDSI 1.4.2 (Chinese to 1.4.3) system

update£º2011-3-3
1, Added a system11.dat file which is a patch file for N3DS under the _dstwo folder.
2, Fixed the lag bug under patch mode for #1404-Mogitate Tingle No Barairo Rupee Land(J)

I do find it curious that Supercard listed DSi v1.4.2 compatibility with Firmware 1.11, but I feel it was most likely an error, all of their English material is very sloppy, and the EOS that was released on the same day also claims to have solved v1.4.2 compatibility.

robbgerard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Success!

Alright, I feel a bit stupid now, but the problem seems to have been that when I loaded the EOS onto the MicroSD, I opened the zip file then copied the contents of the 'dstwo' folder to the card. I failed to put onto the card the file ds2boot.dat (which is not in the above folder, but in the root directory of the original 'DSTWO_v1.11_2012_0521_eng' folder that the zip file extracts to).

So it's not surprising that it couldn't figure out how to boot, which it must do to upgrade, etc.

I think I got blinded by the confusing instructions on the DStwo site, namely step 4 in the firmware upgrade how-to: "Step 4: Find a DS console (NDS\DS\DSLite\DSi\3DS) which can run this EOS system, if you have the latest version console can not run EOS system, sorry, you have to find one".

I do think the firmware needed upgrading mind you, but the files to do that are indeed in the kernel (the DStwo now shows up as 'Alex Rider').

All that remains is to find some software to play movies, snes games, etc to bring this baby up to full functionality. Any tips on where to find those?

Thanks for your help in figuring this out!

robbgerard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right on, I am back in business.

At least I can confirm what T02 said: anyone out there with a DSi XL, even if it's upgraded to 1.4.4, doesn't need to upgrade the firmware of the DStwo using a DS lite or anything else. The DStwo can be updated from the latest EOS using the upgraded DSi.

Thanks again T02!

Vampire Lied

Resident sociopath
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My bad. I've always upgraded EOS and firmware whenever possible.
I tend to forget the dsi doesn't get updated often like the 3ds now that I have 3ds.
I just keep a DSL around for update purposes.
Thanks for sorting that out terminator.
Glad to see you're back in business robbgerard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended