Question How to update to the latest firmware (6.0) from 5.1

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Deftsu, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Deftsu
    OP

Deftsu Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hello first time poster here. I want to know how I would go about updating my firmware with ReinX installed. Do I have to do it manually through my PC? Or do I have to restore my NAND backup then update it through official Nintendo servers?

I don't plan on doing it any time soon, I just want to know in case I want to do it in the future.

2. switchbricker

switchbricker Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2018
    United States
    Erol and Skiiermike like this.
  3. Erol

Erol GBAtemp Fan

May 13, 2009
    Gambia, The
  4. Ivellios

Ivellios GBAtemp Regular

Sep 5, 2009
    Brazil
    Why is it not recommended to update? I thought everything worked in the new firmware

5. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    magico29 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    of course everything works if you use TX, i dont know about reinx.

6. Snomannen_kalle

Snomannen_kalle GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2018
    Norway
    The bootROM exploit is a hardware exploit, so it is fundamentally unpatchable; and homebrew will work on any firmware. However, there may still be as of yet undiscovered software exploits on lower firmwares that may make it easier for us to gain control of the Switch that may be patched out by Nintendo on newer firmware, that you will lose access to if you update. That is generally why it is recommended to stay on lower firmwares. But if e.g. online play is more important to you than waiting for a software exploit that may not even exist, you should update, as you will never lose access to homebrew via the bootROM exploit

7. alepman90

alepman90 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 10, 2014
    The most noob friendly method wait till It’s included in Switch game cards, till then no game require 6.0 update so far

8. Wurstmann

Wurstmann Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2018
    Germany
    When you decide to do it you remove your SD card, restore your NAND backup, update, create a new NAND backup, insert your SD card and keep doing what you are doing.

9. Ivellios

Ivellios GBAtemp Regular

Sep 5, 2009
    Brazil
    But you can always update without burning fuses, so you will still have access to future software exploits

10. Snomannen_kalle

Snomannen_kalle GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2018
    Norway
    That is true, I didn't consider that

11. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    If he’s on 5.1.0 already he might as well update as far as cfw goes it won’t get any better, if your thinking of a more permanent solution it won’t happen. Everything is exactly the same from fw5.1 to 6.0 no difference the only issue is the devmenu doesn’t work at the moment but that’s not necessary anymore. Sorry I am coming from an sxos point of view if he’s going cheapskating with cfw then I don’t know.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Most important games have already been updated for 6.0 mk8, xenoblade, arms, splat2, mario tennis and lots more! Sorry not the retail card itself I meant the update I’m not even sure if it’s a required update I had to update them on 6.0.

Last edited by Reecey, Sep 21, 2018