Hacking How to update to latest Luma and B9S

MrCatFace

Trophies
Home (Is where the heart is, so my chest?)
XP
Country
Hey! I hacked my 3DS when Boot9Strap first came out. I havent touched it in a while. I was wondering whats the best way to update everything as I know newer versions of B9S and Luma have came out. What about FastBoot3DS? Is that worth installing?

I have a N3DS on 1.17 with Luma 8.1.1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh, everyone seems to forget about the trusty ol' 3ds.hacks.guide.
You should familiarize yourself with how Luma3DS and boot9strap work before switching over from B9S to FB3DS. There is a slight learning curve, so it's recommended you back up your SysNAND before making the change.

Reactions: zacchi4k

zacchi4k

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey! I hacked my 3DS when Boot9Strap first came out. I havent touched it in a while. I was wondering whats the best way to update everything as I know newer versions of B9S and Luma have came out. What about FastBoot3DS? Is that worth installing?

I have a N3DS on 1.17 with Luma 8.1.1
While fastboot3ds is kinda cool and can do some stuff that B9S by itself can't (like NAND backup and restore), really all the features it offers are all already possible with B9S, Luma and payloads like Godmode9 combined. Also, as TurdPooCharger said, there's a slight learning curve, because while the interface is user friendly, it still needs to be configured, unlike B9S which doesn't need any configuration at all. Still, if you want to install it, go ahead and do it. If you end up not liking it, going back is as simple as copying the needed files to the SD and running SafeB9SInstaller again

Last edited by zacchi4k,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

MrCatFace

Trophies
Home (Is where the heart is, so my chest?)
XP
Country
Sigh, everyone seems to forget about the trusty ol' 3ds.hacks.guide.
You should familiarize yourself with how Luma3DS and boot9strap work before switching over from B9S to FB3DS. There is a slight learning curve, so it's recommended you back up your SysNAND before making the change.

While fastboot3ds is kinda cool and can do some stuff that B9S by itself can't (like NAND backup and restore), really all the features it offers are all already possible with B9S, Luma and payloads like Godmode9 combined. Also, as TurdPooCharger said, there's a slight learning curve, because while the interface is user friendly, it still needs to be configured, unlike B9S which doesn't need any configuration at all. Still, if you want to install it, go ahead and do it. If you end up not liking it, going back is as simple as copying the needed files to the SD and running SafeB9SInstaller again

Thanks for the help!

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • KimKong @ KimKong:
    Start is "ENTER"
    +1
  • KimKong @ KimKong:
    B is "Z"
    A is "X"
    +1
  • KimKong @ KimKong:
    Thanks for the props @Costello
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    I think theirs a section in the forum for gba home few games could share it their
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Homebrew*
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Oh looks like you have already
  • KimKong @ KimKong:
    Yup! Now that I think about - I'm n
    ot sure if it's in the right section tho...?
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Eh they'll just tell you or move it no biggie
    +1
  • banjo2 @ banjo2:
    @CPG SO true
  • Costello @ Costello:
    @kenenthk : there are no longer blue mods. They're all global mods now :)
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Can't always know where to park
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    @ Costello thinking of adding a new generation I noticed most are green
  • Xzi @ Xzi:
    Well-executed concept in your game, @KimKong . Music's pretty great too!
    +1
  • KimKong @ KimKong:
    @Xzi Thanks for the feedback! I'm planing to make alot more music for each of the levels, so it don't get so repetitive! And working on some graphical upgrade ideas!
    +1
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Do you use 8bit equipment for the music and FL studio
  • RichardTheKing @ RichardTheKing:
    I did notice one particularly bad bit of text formatting (and minor typo): in the UFO fight, when trying to shoot at the bottom, it says "Looks like the UFO have some kinda shield" - "has" is better. Also, the very next text box has "L et's try shooting the top instead!" with a line break in the word "Let's".
    +1
  • RichardTheKing @ RichardTheKing:
    Oh, and I have no idea how to get past this gap - it's too close to the roof. https://imgur.com/A2mYGPy
    +1
  • KimKong @ KimKong:
    @kenenthk I used OpenMPT to make all the music. My brother will be helping out with some more tunes in the future!
  • KimKong @ KimKong:
    @RichardTheKing Thank you so much for pointing out that dialog bug!! I never noticed it while finishing up these new boss fights..

And that gap on that level should be close enough to jump if you run? I might have to lower that platform a bit maybe?
    +1
  • KimKong @ KimKong:
    Thanks so much for the feedback!! You are awesome!!
  • DrunkenMonk @ DrunkenMonk:
    RIP GBA section 2021 :cry:
  • Darth Meteos @ Darth Meteos:
    Has the GBA section been removed? :O
  • KimKong @ KimKong:
    Wait WHAT???
  • Undwiz @ Undwiz:
    I'll be banned after this My Wife passed away 3 months ago , We have 3 kids. Living in a Motel right now . I make enough for a place but need a deposit.... Please help share the word. paypal.me/jdcass82 Sorry , I'll take the Ban if need be , just trying to get a home and out this Motel ... Need to get My Kids out of this place.
    Undwiz @ Undwiz: I'll be banned after this My Wife passed away 3 months ago , We have 3 kids. Living in a Motel...