Hacking How to update sysnand from 6.x to 7.x (Have access to a gateway temporarily)

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm running 6.x and need to update to a 7.x firmware in order to have access to the encryption used in smash (have the clean CIA on the sysnand)
Can I do that update with a rom from the gateway?

michyprima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm running 6.x and need to update to a 7.x firmware in order to have access to the encryption used in smash (have the clean CIA on the sysnand)
Can I do that update with a rom from the gateway?
No. don't, or you will brick.
get a real cartridge or a sky

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So it looks like a copy of ORAS or Smash is what I need, just pop it in and update with the wifi turned off and I'm all good yea?

Loaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty certain you can update with ROMs on gateway, considering gateway has a built in update method (something like holding up on the d-pad when booting into gw mode or selecting the game, I don't own gw myself so can't quite remember). I've also read tons of posts about people using roms to update with gw, so...

You could also update by downloading the .cias for the update version you want with 3DNUS and then installing those .cias with BigBlueMenu.3DS which GW can launch. This method would allow you to update to any version you wanted. But I think using a rom would be easier - just look for some posts about updating with gw roms (use google or gbatemp's search) to be sure you do things right.

michyprima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm pretty certain you can update with ROMs on gateway, considering gateway has a built in update method (something like holding up on the d-pad when booting into gw mode or selecting the game, I don't own gw myself so can't quite remember). I've also read tons of posts about people using roms to update with gw, so...

You could also update by downloading the .cias for the update version you want with 3DNUS and then installing those .cias with BigBlueMenu.3DS which GW can launch. This method would allow you to update to any version you wanted. But I think using a rom would be easier - just look for some posts about updating with gw roms (use google or gbatemp's search) to be sure you do things right.
you really want him to brick don't you?
both methods you suggested would brick.

I know you want to help, but it's not a good idea to give advices without research first.

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Downgrade to 4.5,then you can upgrade with a rom, but only with an old launcher.dat like 2.2, never do that with 2.3+ launcher.dat.

Edit : if it's not a 2ds ofc.

Loaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you really want him to brick don't you?
both methods you suggested would brick.

I know you want to help, but it's not a good idea to give advices without research first.

Can you explain why either of those methods would cause a brick? Is it only because he's going from 6.x to 7.x?

Can you not upgrade sysnand while in gw mode? If not, that's kind of lame.

edit: I guess apparently gw mode can only update sysnand below 6.x? I'm sorry then, this seems like a really lacking feature.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Downgrade to 4.5,then you can upgrade with a rom, but only with an old launcher.dat like 2.2, never do that with 2.3+ launcher.dat.

Edit : if it's not a 2ds ofc.

That sounds like a brick waiting to happen, Can you even use an old launcher on a gateway that's been updated to 3.x?

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Can you explain why either of those methods would cause a brick? Is it only because he's going from 6.x to 7.x?

edit: I guess apparently gw mode can only update sysnand below 6.x? I'm sorry then, this seems like a really lacking feature.

Because updating sysnand while in gateway mode brick it with the news launcher.dat.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Gateway's support of 7.x has always been a hack because it doesn't use the correct encryption. I think it was originally to maintain backward compatibility with older saves or something.

michyprima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Cias upgrade work only if you are updating to a version using the same FIRM. this means no big jumps.

new gw launchers bricks if you update with a cart on sysnand. the reason seems they patch FIRM on install.

bache

Trophies
XP
Country
Because updating sysnand while in gateway mode brick it with the news launcher.dat.

No it doesn't. What bricks the device is updates that change TWL_FIRM. As long as that's not touched, you can update just fine using any launcher.

I and many others have updated from 9.0 to 9.2 using the Cooking Mama ROM. I use the latest Launcher.dat.

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
No it doesn't. What bricks the device is updates that change TWL_FIRM. As long as that's not touched, you can update just fine using any launcher.

I and many others have updated from 9.0 to 9.2 using the Cooking Mama ROM. I use the latest Launcher.dat.

Yes, but like michyprima said, it will if you make a big jump like the OP is planning to do.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't really have the guts to attempt it but essentially the process would be what? downgrade to 4.5, pop an old launcher.dat on, force 'update' to run it and then use a rom of what title?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.