Hacking How to update rednand to 5.5.2

veggav

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'll post this in case anyone else likes rednand.

The reason I enjoy it is because it's safe and I can have 2 separate firmware for my WiiU.

Why this tutorial? Because if you are on rednand and try to update using the system menu it will fail giving you error 162-4023.

You will need:
1. Mocha CFW or other patch of your choice.
2. Ftpiiu everywhere
3. Homebrew channel
4. Haxchii
5. Crediar Wup installer the first version (the Wup Y mod will give you error when trying to do this method)

So this is what I did:
1. Launch Mocha CFW with Rednand, you can choose rednand or sysnand within mocha cfw menu (hold B while launching to select rednand on or off).
This will give you the patches needed for ftpiiu everywhere to browse the needed files and folders.

2. Start the update and close to the end of the download click "not now"
3. Go to download management and watch the download complete.

This will create the following folders:
/storage_mlc/sys/update/0005001010041100/
/storage_mlc/sys/update/0005001B10051000/
/storage_mlc/sys/update/000500301001210A/
/storage_mlc/sys/update/000500301001A10A/

Now don't update.

4. Launch FtpiiU everywhere and browse those folders.
4.1. Copy each folder to your PC.
4.2. Copy the FILES from inside each folder (ONE AT A TIME) to your SDCard folder install.

5. Now while still on rednand launch crediar WUP Installer
5.1. install the first title 0005001010041100
5.2. Exit, open crediar wup installer, and install the next.

6. PROFIT

After installing all those files you will be on REDNAND with firmware 5.5.2 and sysnand 5.5.1.
You can disable wifi, or block updates on sysnand the way you prefer and enjoy keeping the exploit entry point and having DLC, eshop, sigpatch and a nand safe on your SD card.

EDIT: THE FILES I MENTION ON THIS THREAD ARE FOR USA CONSOLE.

Last edited by veggav,

Powerful

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The reason I enjoy it is because it's safe and I can have 2 separate firmware for my WiiU.

Why this tutorial? Because if you are on rednand and try to update using the system menu it will fail giving you error 162-4023.

You will need:
2. Ftpiiu everywhere
3. Homebrew channel
4. Haxchii
5. Crediar Wup installer the first version (the Wup Y mod will give you error when trying to do this method)

So this is what I did:
1. Launch Mocha CFW with Rednand, you can choose rednand or sysnand within mocha cfw menu (hold B while launching to select rednand on or off).
This will give you the patches needed for ftpiiu everywhere to browse the needed files and folders.

Now don't update.

4.2. Copy the FILES from inside each folder (ONE AT A TIME) to your SDCard folder install.

6. PROFIT

After installing all those files you will be on REDNAND with firmware 5.5.2 and sysnand 5.5.1.
You can disable wifi, or block updates on sysnand the way you prefer and enjoy keeping the exploit entry point and having DLC, eshop, sigpatch and a nand safe on your SD card.

Awesome, thanks!

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
After installing the 4 titles, the system still needs to be updated in order to update game or access to eshop.

I've just figured out that, we don't need to update rednand to 5.5.2 in order to download game update or download game on eshop.

When the update downloaded, just go ahead and install it. There will be an error when installing the update. It won't automatically download again.

Run NNUPatcher as homebrew then you can normally download game update or game on eshop.

Update: can play online without spoofing or updating to the latest firmware. Just run NNUPatcher after getting an error when update firmware (rednand of course).

Last edited by thaikhoa,

Powerful

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After installing the 4 titles, the system still needs to be updated in order to update game or access to eshop.
I have a probelm, I followed everything up to where you install the titles. I have them in the correct place sd:install. I use the wup y mod, except since that wont work, i downloaded the 1.0 from hbl app store, and none of my install titles are there, is there a different version i need?

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You will need System Config Tool to install system title (without title.tik). You can download them using NUSGrabber to get title.tik to install on wupinstaller mod or else.

Wilthril

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
For some weird reason, my rednand updated itself to 5.5.2 successfully (I have unlinked nands).
Still, this tutorial is awesome for people still using rednand.

dj_skual

Code & Mix
Trophies
Website
sourceforge.net
XP
Country
France

You will need:
2. Ftpiiu everywhere
3. Homebrew channel
4. Haxchii

So this is what I did:

Now don't update.

6. PROFIT

OK, here my method...

- Looked at titles and version of 5.5.2 here for your region,
- then download needed titles with NUSGrabber using command: "NUSGrabber.exe titleID version",
- then use a modified version of WupInstallerGX2 to install system titles (just need to modify line 262 in "src/menu/installWindow.cpp" from "bool spoofFiles = false;" to "bool spoofFiles = true;" and compile. BE CARREFULL WITH THE USE OF THIS MODIFIED VERSION!!!)
- Then just go to settings menu and come back to wiiu menu,
- Enjoy!!!

I hope this will help.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Very nice guide I like! Or you could flip it and have your system on Version 5.5.2 "Spoofed" and keep your Rednand on version 5.5.1 ;) not sure what benefits you would get by doing this but hay its rather cool, regardless. Of course there would be no need for this guide if you did that :lol:

I was just thinking, if you did update fully to firmware 5.5.2 and your Rednand was still on 5.5.1 would the browser exploit still work? of course I'm presuming you have some sort of access to homebrew through haxchi/cbhc etc.. to access your Rednand.

Last edited by Reecey,

Powerful

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nice guide I like! Or you could flip it and have your system on Version 5.5.2 "Spoofed" and keep your Rednand on version 5.5.1 ;) not sure what benefits you would get by doing this but hay its rather cool, regardless. Of course there would be no need for this guide if you did that :lol:

I was just thinking, if you did update fully to firmware 5.5.2 and your Rednand was still on 5.5.1 would the browser exploit still work? of course I'm presuming you have some sort of access to homebrew through haxchi/cbhc etc.. to access your Rednand.
Yes it would still work for rednand, but not the sysnand. I have done it, and now I run both on 5.5.2

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
OK, here my method...

- Looked at titles and version of 5.5.2 here for your region,
- then download needed titles with NUSGrabber using command: "NUSGrabber.exe titleID version",
- then use a modified version of WupInstallerGX2 to install system titles (just need to modify line 262 in "src/menu/installWindow.cpp" from "bool spoofFiles = false;" to "bool spoofFiles = true;" and compile. BE CARREFULL WITH THE USE OF THIS MODIFIED VERSION!!!)
- Then just go to settings menu and come back to wiiu menu,
- Enjoy!!!

I hope this will help.
Could you compile that version of wupinstaller GX for us? :)

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
sorry, i won't compile this for everyone as it is not noob proof and very Dangerous to use, but if someone want to done it...
It's obviously for whoever wants to use it. I'm not asking for this to be an official release.
There already exists one for non-GX version btw

nalle077

Trophies
XP
Country

You will need:
2. Ftpiiu everywhere
3. Homebrew channel
4. Haxchii

So this is what I did:

Now don't update.

6. PROFIT

Can you access homebrew channel and other homebrew after rednand is loaded?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."