Hacking How to update my emunand?

ghostdini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Helena
Ok, So I did all the steps, installed gateway, redid my NAND, format.

But i'm a little bit on the fence about actually updating afterwards.
Because if I mess up at that point I'll end up updating my 3ds instead of the gateway, and I know there is no way to return after that (Had a really hard time finding a 3ds with the right firmwire)

Question 1: will I be able to play smash bros in the near future without actually having to update?

Question 2: Can I play online and acceess the shop after I update my emunand?

Question 3: If I now decide to grow a pair and actually do the update. Do I have to go over every step again or do I just launch in gateway mode and update?

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Ok, So I did all the steps, installed gateway, redid my NAND, format.

But i'm a little bit on the fence about actually updating afterwards.
Because if I mess up at that point I'll end up updating my 3ds instead of the gateway, and I know there is no way to return after that (Had a really hard time finding a 3ds with the right firmwire)

Question 1: will I be able to play smash bros in the near future without actually having to update?

Question 2: Can I play online and acceess the shop after I update my emunand?
Just format emunand, boot in gateway mod and make system update in settings (ONLY OVER SETTINGS). You wont be able to play SSB for 3DS without emunand. Yeah, you can access the eshop after update your emunand.

ghostdini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Helena
Just format emunand, boot in gateway mod and make system update in settings (JUST OVER SETTINGS). You wont be able to play SSB for 3DS without emunand. Yeah, wou can access the eshop after update your emunand.

thanks for the answer man. I added a 3rd question.

Wildblood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Launch in gateway and update - MAKE SURE you check the system version before hitting the update button.

Basically - enter emunand, then click on system setting, check the version (should way GW...something). Then, WITHOUT leaving settings, go and update. You'll be fine.

ghostdini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Helena
Launch in gateway and update - MAKE SURE you check the system version before hitting the update button.

Basically - enter emunand, then click on system setting, check the version (should way GW...something). Then, WITHOUT leaving settings, go and update. You'll be fine.

And I'll do this with the RED card inserted right? sorry for the retarded questions but I can't afford to make a mistake :/

Wildblood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
And I'll do this with the RED card inserted right? sorry for the retarded questions but I can't afford to make a mistake :/
The blue card is only ever needed once - when you first hack the 3DS. The only other time you'd need it, is after play a DS game on the 3DS - if you never do that, then the blue card can be thrown in a drawer and forgotten about.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Question 3: If I now decide to grow a pair and actually do the update. Do I have to go over every step again or do I just launch in gateway mode and update?
I dont understand your question. If a new system update is out and gateway support the new firmware, you just need to boot in gateway mode and update your 3DS via system settings. You dont need to formate the emunand again.

Wildblood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I dont understand your question. If a new system update is out and gateway support the new firmware, you just need to boot in gateway mode and update your 3DS via system settings. You dont need to formate the emunand again.

I think he means: insert blue card, hack 3DS, enter gateway mode, update gateway....etc. If this is what you mean, then the answer is no. Just make sure you have the newest launcher in your red gateway card, and that your gateway menu is updated.

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are ways to make sure you are not accidently updating SYSnand:

1. Fill your sysnand wifi slots with garbage (this is because any changes in wifi on emunand will be copied to sysnand if it's blank)
2. Change the main menus so they look different between sysnand and emunand. The way I did this was I zoomed in all the icons and made 4 folders that spell out REAL on the sysnand.
3. Once you are ready, go into emunand and into system settings and then do NOT under any circumstances leave settings or it will throw you back into sysnand. Your version number should have GW3D before the number.
4. Make sure wifi is on and connected to the internet. Go directly to "Other Settings" and hit right 3 times and do "System Update".
5. It should update and then kick you back to sysnand. Just go back to emunand and check to make sure it updated correctly.

Reactions: ghostdini

ghostdini

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Helena
There are ways to make sure you are not accidently updating SYSnand:

1. Fill your sysnand wifi slots with garbage (this is because any changes in wifi on emunand will be copied to sysnand if it's blank)
2. Change the main menus so they look different between sysnand and emunand. The way I did this was I zoomed in all the icons and made 4 folders that spell out REAL on the sysnand.
3. Once you are ready, go into emunand and into system settings and then do NOT under any circumstances leave settings or it will throw you back into sysnand. Your version number should have GW3D before the number.
4. Make sure wifi is on and connected to the internet. Go directly to "Other Settings" and hit right 3 times and do "System Update".
5. It should update and then kick you back to sysnand. Just go back to emunand and check to make sure it updated correctly.

I love you dawg, you saved the day.

Reactions: Ryft

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.