How to update homebrew installed as CIA?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cyber Akuma, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Cyber Akuma
    OP

Cyber Akuma GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2009
    United States
    You would think this would be easy to Google, but all I can find are information about homebrew that can install CIA files themselves, or how to update games installed as CIA.

Needless to say, I can't just go to the ehsop and click "download update" to update my CIA homebrew apps, so I am a little confused.

I mainly have three homebrew apps I installed as CIA:
    Soon!2
    JKSM
    The Homebrew Launcher

Soon!2:
    My installed version of Soon!2 appears to be 2.2.0, which AFAIK is the latest version, so not much I can do about updating that one.

JKSM:
    JKSM appears to be several months old, and a newer version was released two months ago, so I downloaded the .CIA file for that from it's github page. Thing is, since I already have JKSM installed via CIA, I am not sure how to install an update to a CIA homebrew app this way. Is there some sort of update function? Do I just install the new CIA and it will overwrite the older one? Or do I need to uninstall the older CIA first?

The Homebrew Launcher:
    I am even more confused about The Homebrew Launcher. I can't seem to find a CIA version anywhere, don't recall where I got mine. And the official Homebrew Launcher page just offers a .bin file to download.

First of all, is this CIA version just a forwarder that runs this .bin file, and thus by replacing the .bin file on my SDcard with a newer one? If that is the case, what about updates to this forwarder channel itself?

Second, how can I tell what version of The Homebrew Launcher I am even downloading? The official page that all Google results send me to, which is also the page that the "About" section of The Homebrew Launcher lists, just asks you to enter your 3DS's firmware version to download the bin file, it never mentions what version of The Homebrew Launcher it's giving you.

Third, the version numbers don't even seem to match up. The "About" page lists my version as b135, but any version numbers for The Homebrew Launcher I can find (which in and of itself for some crazy reason is a challenge) are a completely different format with no letters and with decimals, similar to 3DS firmware version numbers. I am really confused on this one.

2. OfficialBrony

OfficialBrony

Banned
    Jan 6, 2016
    Canada
    With old3ds users, homebrew is broken as of right now. But new 3ds users like I, should be fine with the new payloads. It's not the cia that needs the update, it's only the payload.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

3. OfficialBrony

OfficialBrony

Banned
    Jan 6, 2016
    Canada
    Also in fbi titledb section you can install homebrew there. Just look for homebrew_launcher or something similar

4. OfficialBrony

OfficialBrony

Banned
    Jan 6, 2016
    Canada
    You can update jksm with the newest cia like updating a game by installing an update. Install the cia and it will overwrite the existing cia installed and updates it. Don't worry about your saves, they will be fine.

5. Cyber Akuma
    OP

Cyber Akuma GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2009
    United States
    That's the confusion though. To update a game, I just go to the e-shop and download the update. Obviously, I can't download updates to my homebrew from the e-shop.

This also doesn't help with my questions about The Homebrew Loader.

6. OfficialBrony

OfficialBrony

Banned
    Jan 6, 2016
    Canada
    Yeah, but say that the jnstalled version of jksm is version 1.0 and you have the 2.0 cia on your sd card. If you install 2.0, and check on jksm app icon on the home menu, it should go blank and reappear. If it doesn't do that within 10 to 15 seconds restart your ds and it will be "updated".
    Homebrew cias won't tell you there is an update for that title like a normal game from the eShop would.

Last edited by OfficialBrony, Apr 12, 2017