Hacking ///\/ How to update a system 3.4u Wii to 4.3u without additional purchase \/\\\\

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,512
  • Replies 24
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted User

OP
Hello all!
I am wondering how to update my old 3.4u Wii to 4.3u so that I can use Letterbomb, but I have not found anything helpful online. I am not willing to spend any money on new games.
My Wii is from 2006, and I have a compatible 1gb SD card formatted to fat32.
Thank you for your help.
(sorry if this has been asked before.)
MicmasH

Reactions: The Catboy

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know you can still update the Wii from system settings if you simply connect to the internet,

Have you tried that?

D

Deleted User

OP
#x69543 No I have not, thanks for the reply.
#XFlak thank you, will look into it!

D

Deleted User

OP
@XFlak, you're a hero! ModMii is a great tool, got through without a hitch. Thanks.

##### NEVERMIND Completely. Dumb questions, didn't see the faq. By the way, amazingly clear, I would have probably bricked my Wii following all the outdated instructions on the web.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: XFlak and x65943

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
@XFlak, you're a hero! ModMii is a great tool, got through without a hitch. Thanks.

## I've got the Homebrew channel on my wii now, but the system menu still says 3.4u.
At this point does updating even matter? All I want to do is backup my games, and enable
the dvd player.
## NEVERMIND, I read the faq.
You can simply drag a syscheck log onto the ModMii window and it will generate a set of WADs for you to install to update. That should also give you the cIOSes you need to run USB loaders.

D

Deleted User

OP
Thank you all for responding so quickly!
I'll follow the ModMii Wizard Guide that popped up in my browser,but thanks for the info, The Real Jdbye.

Reactions: x65943
D

Deleted User

OP
@The Real Jdbye (sorry to bug you but I thought I should let some one know)
Hmm. Maybe I was too quick to respond, it seems I'm having some issues.
When I tried to use MPlayerCE the first time, it gave me an error and restarted. No big deal, I turned the Wii off and back on, did it again and MPlayerCE shows up. I've got the disc in, but it won't play, it just keeps going back. Not too big of a deal either, maybe it's an outdated version that I shouldn't have got. I then go to CleanRip, and attempt to rip a Gamecube game to a 32gb NTFS thumbdrive. It checks out, shows the progress bar and ETA, and after that shows an "Exception DSI ocurred!" error. Anyone have any ideas?
I could have messed up the installation on the first bit, I used the ModMii and selected all the recommended settings, and got the homebrew channel on but didnn't do any Priiloader or IOS patching yet. I then decided to redo Modmii process with better settings (system 4.3 intead of 4.1, NTFS usb instead of FAT32, i think that's all), because I didn't want to have any problems using an outdated version, and followed all of the steps.
Both Gamecube games and Wii games work, it's just that the Homebrew channel stuff doesn't seem to be working.
Anyone know what this could be? (other than me being an idiot)

## I've got a NAND.bin and a keys.bin file from backing up, just so you know.

Attachments

• IMG_6826.JPG
    IMG_6826.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 282
Last edited by ,
Reactions: Alexander1970
D

Deleted User

OP
Thanks, Xflak. WiiMC is much nicer. However, I'm getting "DVD not supported" with my pink panther dvd's. Their not blu-ray. Also, I put a normal music cd in there too, same problem. I tried both the WiiMC channel and the app through the homebrew channel. I'm assuming something with codecs but I have no idea.

I figured out my stupid SDHC problem by formatting it to FAT32. Can't believe I didn't think about it before bugging you people about it... thanks for putting up with me :)

D

Deleted User

OP
I think so, its from 2006. Someone says they changed in 2008 so they wouldn't be able to do it. It's a rev-001, btw.
##And Cleanrip started doing what it's supposed to. I formatted the USB to fat32 as well. I just didn't want to have to mess with split iso's, but NTFS I think was causing the crashing I was seeing.##
Nope, not crashing but has Unrecovered read error.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

OP
Just to clear some things up, I used Modmii to install everything, followed the ModMii steps, and and now have System 4.3u, the Homebrew channel, Priiloader and BootMii (on SDHC) installed. The problems I have are:
* Cleanrip throwing "Unrecovered read error", I've tried NTFS and FAT32, changing between 2gb and MAX split sizes, and changing whether it requires a new device for each rip. I get the ISOs on a thumbdrive, but not sure if they work.

*DVD's wont read from WiiMC, I tried some normal movie DVDs that aren't working, their not Blu-ray but I'll try some others, but so far no luck.

These two things are all I need to work.
I'm not that interested in too many other things except for some emulators, like C64 or ZX Spectrum, and GB/C/A games, and I wont about those things in this thread.
Just in case it wasn't clear before.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

OP
@XFlak @The Real Jdbye (If you want me to stop notifiying you, just say the word, I'm new to forums and am not etiquette savvy when it comes to such an advanced forum :)

It seems I jumped the gun a little too early :/
I can backup my Gamecube games just fine. All I have to do is let it get the hash from ReDump, and as long as I take the game off and delete it from the thumb drive, it will dump the next game. If I don't delete it off, it'll crash and give me that black screen. Thats ok.

Whats not ok is Wii games arent dumping at all. Not even halfway through it throws the Unrecovered read or cancels. I've tried NTFS and FAT32, I'm dumping them to my 32gb thumbdrive, so more than enough space. What I've noticed is it doesn't say its verifying from ReDump like it did with Gamecube games. Maybe its something with Redump??

Anyway, hoping someone will know what to do, this wii's driving me crazy!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Try different apps to rip games (like usbloader gx, cfg USB loader, etc.) and see if u have better luck that way.

If that doesn't work, try a different hard drive, ideally not a pen drive as their compatibility is low

If that doesn't work, try launching the loader with a different cios

Reactions: Deleted User

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
@XFlak @The Real Jdbye (If you want me to stop notifiying you, just say the word, I'm new to forums and am not etiquette savvy when it comes to such an advanced forum :)

It seems I jumped the gun a little too early :/
I can backup my Gamecube games just fine. All I have to do is let it get the hash from ReDump, and as long as I take the game off and delete it from the thumb drive, it will dump the next game. If I don't delete it off, it'll crash and give me that black screen. Thats ok.

Whats not ok is Wii games arent dumping at all. Not even halfway through it throws the Unrecovered read or cancels. I've tried NTFS and FAT32, I'm dumping them to my 32gb thumbdrive, so more than enough space. What I've noticed is it doesn't say its verifying from ReDump like it did with Gamecube games. Maybe its something with Redump??

Anyway, hoping someone will know what to do, this wii's driving me crazy!
You can try CleanRip but it dumps to .iso and not .wbfs so you'll have to convert them afterwards with Wii Backup Manager or similar.

D

Deleted User

OP
@XFlak Thanks! This is probably the best thing to do at this point, didn't realize the pen drives aren't that great for it. I don't know why it works with Gamecube and not Wii, but I have an extra usb harddrive lying around that I really dont use.

@The Real Jdbye
I'm using CleanRip 2.0.0, ReDump is just a verification server that checks the hash sums (or something or other) and makes sure it's not a bad dump.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end