How to update 3DS and update homebrew?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by szymon170, Feb 5, 2016.

1. szymon170
    OP

szymon170 Pr0FessiuNal HelPeR wiTh HaxXX

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    I have installed homebrew on my New 3DS via browserhax and then I have installed menuhax, because I don't want to use browserhax. There is a new 3ds firmware version and homebrew works on this version https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Exploits. I want to update my 3DS to the newest version (10.5.0-30) and update my homebrew so it will work on the new version of 3DS firmware. Currently I have 10.3.0-28E. How can I do that?

EDIT: Now we are talking about downgrading my New 3DS XL (European). So just skip the first pages of that thread and talk about downgrading and CFW. I wish I could change the title of that thread but unfortunately I can't. And I don't want to create a new thread because that will just mess the discussion and will lead to some weird things (for example someone won't know what we were talking about previously or someone won't get notifications about the thread and will think that the discussion has ended, but there actually will be discussion on an other thread).

Last edited by szymon170, Feb 6, 2016

2. SANNIC789

SANNIC789 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2015
    United States
    why not downgrade with save sysupdater to 9.2 and get CFW then update the emuNAND

3. szymon170
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    No, thanks. I just want homebrew and I don't want to downgrade my 3DS, because it may brick my New 3DS. And I don't want to risk. So how can I update my New 3DS and update homebrew?

4. SANNIC789

Oct 3, 2015
    United States
  5. szymon170
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    What will happen to my installed menuhax? Can I uninstall it and then update New 3DS, then use browserhax and then install new menuhax?

6. SANNIC789

Oct 3, 2015
    United States
    ya you unstall it by changing the theam and evrything els yes

7. szymon170
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    I just need to change the theme in my home menu and it will uninstall? Without even going to homebrew launcher? Is there a chance that it will brick my 3ds or something?

8. SANNIC789

Oct 3, 2015
    United States
    no... nothing with homebrew can rely brake your 3ds and theam hax well 100% not brake it

9. ih8ih8sn0w

ih8ih8sn0w Koreaboo

Aug 22, 2015
    United States
    Hell
    the most you can do right now is soft brick, which will just require you to update sysnand to 10.5 (this is assuming you use the correct cias and are using safesysupdater)

10. SANNIC789

Oct 3, 2015
    United States
    hes not downgrading he is skared of brake

11. szymon170
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    I just want to UPDATE my New 3DS to the NEWEST version and update my Homebrew so it will work with the newest version, but I don't know what to do.

12. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    No risk. i have never seen any brick from homebrew because it's a *Userland* exploit. Menuhax is just a custom theme that can boot into homebrew with a button, nothing else. Changing your theme will get rid of menuhax and leave no trace whatsoever. Then after that just update using system settings like normal. When it's done go to the browser and run browserhax to take you to the homebrew menu. It will still work since it downloads the newest payload. Then just install menuhax again and ur set. Just remember there's no going back. if you ever get the urge to downgrade for faster emulators and pirating, you lose that chance, but you seem like you'll never have that issue.

13. szymon170
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    Downgrading a New 3DS with homebrew can brick my system and installing CFW can brick my New 3DS too. And If I woulf use that I have another question. Can I get banned for using CFW and playing online games?

14. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    Do not update that 3DS. Downgrade it using SafeSysUpdater!! ignore me; just use the regular one (Trust me, you will not regret downgrading!) You will miss out A LOT of stuff if you just update to 10.5. :(

Last edited by Voxel, Feb 5, 2016
    Bubsy Bobcat and Shadowfied like this.
  15. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    They don't want to downgrade. They want to safely update without risks. I can understand why some people who aren't major in the hacking scene wouldn't want to downgrade. The only firmware that should truly be kept without exception is 1.0. And btw, safesysupdater has more recorded bricks from a downgrade.

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  16. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    I know they don't want to downgrade. I'm just pointing out that they'd be missing out on some cool stuff other than homebrew. And anyway, if that's the case, then use the regular sysUpdater.

Shadowfied likes this.
  17. szymon170
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    Poland
    Where I live
    I was saving my money for that 3DS for a long time, and I really don't want this 3DS to be a brick, but I'd like to have downgraded 3DS for that better stuff. And, can I get banned for using CFW and playing online games? And will my New 3DS work properly (by 'work properly' I mean that there won't be much crashes or errors, I will be able to play my games including Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and upcoming New 3DS exclusives, and I want my Zl, Zr, C-stick and head tracking working)? And I have some experience in hacking, for example I have hacked Wii and I have custom android rom on my phone. And those devices are still working properly.

18. hacksn5s4

hacksn5s4 Banned

Banned
    Aug 12, 2015
    safesysudaters a lie just use normal one i used the safe one and it kept giving me red line when i try to downgrade

Voxel likes this.
  19. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    You can't get banned online for using CFW, however Nintendo have been rolling out restrictions to lower FW people which stop them from playing online unless you're on the latest FW (on EmuNAND).

20. hacksn5s4

hacksn5s4 Banned

Banned
    Aug 12, 2015
    if you use unlegit dlc online with smash can you get banned