1. dawnbomb

dawnbomb GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    i can't quite get it to work. I've been wondering if its because of the file sizes. when i unpack and repack the exact same files - it changes, its a little less in file size, i wonder if the tool isn't repacking all the files? but i'm not getting any errors...hmmm

upload_2020-2-4_23-44-0.png

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  2. masagrator

OP masagrator The developper

Poland
    You need to name it as specified in tutorial.
    By default paks are loaded in alphabetical order. So newpak.pak is overwritten by octopath_traveler.pak

3. dawnbomb

dawnbomb GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    oh no im aware, i name it exactly the same, the screenshot was like that explicitly to show a side by side

4. masagrator

Poland
    So maybe specify what is not working if you want help. :P

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

And about filesize - it all depends on compression settings. They may specified what should not be compressed, where default compression settings for unrealpak is "compress anything worth it with zlib", very small files are not compressed.

5. dawnbomb

dawnbomb GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Alright, another day at this.
    Anyway, whats not working would be, i put the new file renamed properly where the old / original one was, try to boot up the game and nothing happens it doesn't start. I figured if i did literally nothing but unpack and repack it, it would defiantly remove any possible errors on my side, but after dealing with one small error after another, all the way to full width text and making absolutely sure where is no strange characters in the folder names of where im doing this, still nothing. I mean, i unpack, no problems, (except the warning for
    no paths for game localization data, but thats normal(?) as is shown in your main post, and when repacking (after doing all the adjustments, fixing full width, ect) the repack goes smooth no errors. It's a different file size, but i assume what your trying to tell me is thats normal (or maybe not?). i rename the pak properly (using copy paste to make sure i can't make typing errors) and its all done on a new SSD (not hard drive failing). if i put back the old pak, the game launches when i try.

because the old pak still works, it means i haven't accidentally done anything to the original, and incase i somehow messed the contents of the unpacking, i have completely unpacked the file a few times to make sure each attempt is without chance of me moving something on accident like a idiot. i considered that unpacking multiple times from the same unrealpakswitchv4 folder might keep old ones, so i've been doing it with multiple copies of the unrealpak4switch folder itself. i have also downloaded multiple copies of unreal engine to try other versions incase the version check was wrong somehow.

The one thing i might be messing up, is in 4.3 you talk about "yes" and "mounting" but, i have no idea what that means. i've skipped it every time, but is that a instruction for something? i posted a screenshot of my notepad++ at the time previously when talking about it, theres nothing to indicate any kind of click yes or click to mount or anything. i figured maybe it mean click yes to save ( the file with notepad++?) but thats just a random best guess i could make. From some googleing into unreal paks, i think that IS supposed to be a instruction to do something, but it comes between putting in the text to replace, and clicking replace all, and theres no text anywhere on screen that can even vaguely relate to the instructions. i tried looking to see if anyone using this tool made a youtube video on the process, but can't find anything. i absolutely feel like i'm making a mistake somewhere, but i just can't figure out what or where. all i can think of is yes mount point, but thats just a guess.

6. masagrator

Poland
    Then don't pack all files, only changed files.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Patch tab

7. dawnbomb

dawnbomb GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    That didn't work either.

Can you tell me about what "Yes - our mount point" is supposed to mean?

8. masagrator

Poland
    This is only for paks that have different mount point when unpacking - default is ../../../, but there could be f.e. ../../../Kingship/Config

If you have one pak, then for 100% is ../../../

9. dawnbomb

dawnbomb GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Now that i think about it, something strange did happen at the start. Your first post says that for V4 the ONLY thing you need from unreal is the .exe,

1. UnrealPakSwitch\v4\2\3\UnrealPak.exe (v4 pack)

but when trying to unpack, it asked for files like later pak versions would. i just took a bunch of files from 4.19.2 that it would ask for, and it worked but, was it actually supposed to work with ONLY the exe, or was the first post wrong, or is this a edge case scenario?

10. masagrator

Poland
    Are you sure it was 4.19.2? Only exe is needed, because all needed DLLs were compiled to exe, so nothing additional should be there to copy (they shouldn't even exist).
    Or you are doing something wrong, or Epic did some shadow update.

11. dawnbomb

dawnbomb GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Yeah i'm pretty sure.

upload_2020-2-5_15-30-51.png

upload_2020-2-5_15-27-50.png

upload_2020-2-5_15-28-33.png

upload_2020-2-5_15-28-47.png upload_2020-2-5_15-28-57.png

upload_2020-2-5_15-29-7.png

The interesting part is it's only asking for 4 files, and not all of what later version you posted ask for, they ask for like 7~8
    I tried with just these, and going the extra mile and taking basically everything related to unrealpak.exe and bringing all of it. i mean, they "work" (i extract the game, i can confirm pretty without a doubt its defiantly the game files, just don't repack, or rather won't repack and have the game still work)

Edit1:

I may have a idea whats going on, investigating a possible answer. It's a long shot tho.

12. GamingDamned

GamingDamned Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Your getting same issue i had where game refused to load and orig pak works fine. Wish Arthur would investigate it. I tried all same steps you tried @dawnbomb :( Even with the patch method and the _1_P it just refuses.

13. dawnbomb

dawnbomb GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    i'll consider agreeing with you after i try a few more things, but your running a actual PC game @GamingDamned while i'm using a port of a switch game, and this program was made for switch games. I'm not against thinking it can work for PC games to, but it might be that switch games are slightly different or that he does something, or fails to do something, between PC VS console.

my problems stem from discovering one annoyingly minor thing after another, also, Octopath is talked about extensively in the main post in various spots, for basically being special and unusual compared to most projects. I think i would believe Octopath is being weird and try a number of more things, before believing with certainty that the program is at fault.

I had another new thought typing this out, i wonder if after we pak it up with the program (and it still does not work), in a separate folder, we take the new pak and unpack it, and see if theres any differences. maybe we will see something unexpected. and if we pack that one back up again, will the file get smaller yet? or stay the same size? if it gets smaller AGAIN, then something sketch is surely happening with the program.

14. dawnbomb

dawnbomb GBAtemp Regular

Canada
  15. GamingDamned

GamingDamned Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
  16. dawnbomb

dawnbomb GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Maybe i'll help you on discord sometime, hit me up. Dawnbomb#3408

17. masagrator

Poland
    144 kB? WTF... xD
    IT should be almost 10 MB. So they did something...
    I will try to investigate it.
    IMG_20200206_020444.jpg

18. dawnbomb

dawnbomb GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I found out, there is MULTIPLE versions of unreal 4.19.2 AS IT TURNS OUT. but it only shows 4.19.2 not 4.19.2.x
    After getting a DIFFERENT 4.19.2 it all worked great.

Edit: OMG you call your PC your Komputer, you heathen!

19. masagrator

Poland
    And how did you acquire both versions? I want to inform about it other people in tutorial.

And this is default name for PC in Polish version of Windows - "This computer". :P

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - unpack, repack, Unreal