Tutorial How to unpack and repack Unreal Engine 4 files

khk2423

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I can't open the tutorial pages.
In the repack section, can you tell me the instructions that organize the front and back of the list of 'lista.txt'?
The part where change the front part to "../../../ and the part where erase the back part and replace it with "
The game has been patched, so I have to unpack and repack, but I can't access it.

NikkMann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have re-made your entire tutorial into Word and PDF files so people can see it easily. I also fixed the grammar mistakes, should help people read it easier :)

Attachments

• UnrealPak Instructions.zip
    264 KB · Views: 14
  • UnrealPak Instructions.pdf
    245.8 KB · Views: 21

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Added support for PAK from Unreal Engine 4.27

Some big brain from Epic made breaking changes to PAKs without changing header struct at all, so it's not possible to detect if it's v11 from 4.26 or v11 from 4.27 (even unrealpak from v11 4.26 can't detect that it's not compatible with it and it's aborting on some point).

v11 from 4.27 I have named 11.27

Last edited by masagrator,

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Unreal Engine 4.27 added publicly Oodle. Updated package with tutorial how to add support for Oodle to UnrealPak 11.27

Unpacked pakchunk0-Switch.pak from Tony Hawk 1+2 which is v8.23 using Oodle and encryption without issues.

Code:
C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Switch\UnrealPakSwitch2>v11.27\2\3\UnrealPak.exe C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Switch\UnrealPakSwitch2\pakchunk0-Switch.pak -list -cryptokeys="..\..\..\crypto.json"  1>lista.txt

C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Switch\UnrealPakSwitch2>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Switch\UnrealPakSwitch2>v11.27\2\3\UnrealPak.exe C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Switch\UnrealPakSwitch2\pakchunk0-Switch.pak -extract ..\..\..\ -cryptokeys="..\..\..\crypto.json"
LogInit: Display: Loading text-based GConfig....
LogPaths: Warning: No paths for game localization data were specifed in the game configuration.
LogInit: Warning: No paths for engine localization data were specifed in the engine configuration.
LogPakFile: Display: Parsing crypto keys from a crypto key cache file
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/AssetRegistry.bin" to "..\..\..\Base/AssetRegistry.bin" Offset 0.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Base.uproject" to "..\..\..\Base/Base.uproject" Offset 2541248.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Config/DefaultBuildPassword.ini" to "..\..\..\Base/Config/DefaultBuildPassword.ini" Offset 2542240.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Config/DefaultDeviceProfiles.ini" to "..\..\..\Base/Config/DefaultDeviceProfiles.ini" Offset 2548048.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Config/DefaultEngine.ini" to "..\..\..\Base/Config/DefaultEngine.ini" Offset 2549328.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Config/DefaultGame.ini" to "..\..\..\Base/Config/DefaultGame.ini" Offset 2556544.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Config/DefaultGameBuild.ini" to "..\..\..\Base/Config/DefaultGameBuild.ini" Offset 2560576.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Config/DefaultGameplayTags.ini" to "..\..\..\Base/Config/DefaultGameplayTags.ini" Offset 2561312.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Config/DefaultInput.ini" to "..\..\..\Base/Config/DefaultInput.ini" Offset 2569248.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Config/DefaultLoadingScreen.ini" to "..\..\..\Base/Config/DefaultLoadingScreen.ini" Offset 2573936.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Config/DefaultScalability.ini" to "..\..\..\Base/Config/DefaultScalability.ini" Offset 2575696.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Config/DefaultUI.ini" to "..\..\..\Base/Config/DefaultUI.ini" Offset 2578560.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Config/DefaultWatermark.ini" to "..\..\..\Base/Config/DefaultWatermark.ini" Offset 2578896.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Config/DefaultWatermarkBuild.ini" to "..\..\..\Base/Config/DefaultWatermarkBuild.ini" Offset 2579664.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Config/Switch/SwitchDeviceProfiles.ini" to "..\..\..\Base/Config/Switch/SwitchDeviceProfiles.ini" Offset 2579904.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Config/Switch/SwitchEngine.ini" to "..\..\..\Base/Config/Switch/SwitchEngine.ini" Offset 2582912.
LogPakFile: Display: Extracted "Base/Config/Switch/SwitchGame.ini" to "..\..\..\Base/Config/Switch/SwitchGame.ini" Offset 2585024.
[...]

Durandil67

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi!
I followed your tutorial for unpack a .pak file and everything was ok. However I have this error when I want to repack it:

Code:
LogWindows: Error: === Critical error: ===
LogWindows: Error:
LogWindows: Error: Assertion failed: false [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Developer/PakFileUtilities/Private/PakFileUtilities.cpp] [Line: 1935]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffee16de0f7 UnrealPak-Core.dll!FDebug::CheckVerifyFailedImpl() []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fff027ecdac UnrealPak-PakFileUtilities.dll!VerifyIndexesMatch() []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fff027c71bc UnrealPak-PakFileUtilities.dll!CreatePakFile() []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fff027d10bf UnrealPak-PakFileUtilities.dll!ExecuteUnrealPak() []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff6646da407 UnrealPak.exe!wmain() []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff6646db1a8 UnrealPak.exe!__scrt_common_main_seh() []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fff32227034 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fff33242651 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: FPlatformMisc::RequestExit(1)
LogCore: Engine exit requested (reason: Win RequestExit)

I specify that it's display at the end of the log file which indicates that all the files are added to the .pak. I used the unpack version 11.

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi!
I followed your tutorial for unpack a .pak file and everything was ok. However I have this error when I want to repack it:

Code:
LogWindows: Error: Assertion failed: false [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Developer/PakFileUtilities/Private/PakFileUtilities.cpp] [Line: 1935]
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffee16de0f7 UnrealPak-Core.dll!FDebug::CheckVerifyFailedImpl() []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fff027ecdac UnrealPak-PakFileUtilities.dll!VerifyIndexesMatch() []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fff027c71bc UnrealPak-PakFileUtilities.dll!CreatePakFile() []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fff027d10bf UnrealPak-PakFileUtilities.dll!ExecuteUnrealPak() []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff6646da407 UnrealPak.exe!wmain() []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff6646db1a8 UnrealPak.exe!__scrt_common_main_seh() []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fff32227034 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fff33242651 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: FPlatformMisc::RequestExit(1)
LogCore: Engine exit requested (reason: Win RequestExit)

I specify that it's display at the end of the log file which indicates that all the files are added to the .pak. I used the unpack version 11.
This error probably states that constructed index doesn't match file list. Dunno how did you achieve that.

What you have in lista.txt?

Durandil67

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This error probably states that constructed index doesn't match file list. Dunno how did you achieve that.

What you have in lista.txt?
Here is the beginning and the end of my lista.txt (I did not put everything because it's too long for the post)

Code:
Log file open, 10/23/21 20:04:23
LogPlatformFile: Not using cached read wrapper
LogTaskGraph: Started task graph with 4 named threads and 7 total threads with 1 sets of task threads.
LogWindows: Failed to load '../../../Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/DbgHelp/dbghelp.dll' (GetLastError=126)
LogWindows: File '../../../Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/DbgHelp/dbghelp.dll' does not exist
LogPakFile: PakFile PrimaryIndexSize=69424
LogPakFile: PakFile PathHashIndexSize=117264
LogPakFile: PakFile FullDirectoryIndexSize=81360
"../../../Engine/Config/Base.ini"
"../../../Engine/Config/BaseCompat.ini"
"../../../Engine/Config/BaseDeviceProfiles.ini"
"../../../Engine/Config/BaseEngine.ini"
"../../../Engine/Config/BaseGame.ini"
"../../../Engine/Config/BaseGameUserSettings.ini"
"../../../Engine/Config/BaseHardware.ini"
"../../../Engine/Config/BaseInput.ini"
"../../../Engine/Config/BaseInstallBundle.ini"
"../../../Engine/Config/BaseRuntimeOptions.ini"
"../../../Engine/Config/BaseScalability.ini"
"../../../Engine/Config/Layouts/DefaultLayout.ini"
"../../../Engine/Config/Windows/BaseWindowsEngine.ini"
"../../../Engine/Config/Windows/DataDrivenPlatformInfo.ini"
"../../../Engine/Config/Windows/WindowsEngine.ini"
"../../../Engine/Config/Windows/WindowsGame.ini"
[...]
LogExit: Preparing to exit.
LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module PakFile (4)
LogModuleManager: Shutting down and abandoning module RSA (3)
LogExit: Exiting.
Log file closed, 10/23/21 20:04:23

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Beside dunno what this logger is.
You're adding some stuff between my tutorial points that seemingly are breaking my scripts.
Stick to the tutorial and you will be fine

Durandil67

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh damn my bad! I told myself that I just had to delete some lines indicated in the tutorial. It seems obvious to me now and it worked, sorry and thank you for your help!

orangpelupa

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
btw anyone know how to list the maps or level name via console command? or how to see the map or level name from the unpacked files?

khk2423

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I'm editing the demon slayer pak files on Steam.
This game has two pak files.

pakchunk0-WindowsNoEditor.pak
pakchunk1-WindowsNoEditor.pak

Both are in v9 version, and unpack works well without any problems.
(I made two UnrealPakSwitch folders and worked on them)
After modifying the contents, the pakchunk0 file is packed without any problems.
But when I try to pack the pakchunk1, I get this error.

LogPaths: Warning: No paths for game localization data were specifed in the game configuration.
LogPakFile: Display: Using command line for crypto configuration
LogPakFile: Display: Loading response file C:\UnrealPakSwitch2\lista.txt
LogPakFile: Display: Added 38016 entries to add to pak file.
LogPakFile: Display: Collecting files to add to pak file...
LogPakFile: Display: Collected 38016 files in 0.19s.
LogPakFile: Display: Creating pak ../../../newpak.pak.
LogWindows: Error: Fatal error: [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Developer/DerivedDataCache/Private/DerivedDataBackends.cpp] [Line: 89]
LogWindows: Error: Unable to create backend graph using the default graph settings (DerivedDataBackendGraph) ini=../../../Engine/Programs/UnrealPak/Saved/Config/Windows/Engine.ini.
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd7e9930e6 UnrealPak-DerivedDataCache.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd7e99b34a UnrealPak-DerivedDataCache.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd7e99d97d UnrealPak-DerivedDataCache.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd1cfc0743 UnrealPak-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd1cfbfba8 UnrealPak-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd1cf6edd1 UnrealPak-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd1cf6ee0b UnrealPak-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd7ef624ed UnrealPak-PakFileUtilities.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd7ef6e06e UnrealPak-PakFileUtilities.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff7eb4aa5c7 UnrealPak.exe!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff7eb4ab338 UnrealPak.exe!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd98e47034 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd9aca2651 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []

I used the same method for both files, but why does only the second file show an error on the pack stage?

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm editing the demon slayer pak files on Steam.
This game has two pak files.

pakchunk0-WindowsNoEditor.pak
pakchunk1-WindowsNoEditor.pak

Both are in v9 version, and unpack works well without any problems.
(I made two UnrealPakSwitch folders and worked on them)
After modifying the contents, the pakchunk0 file is packed without any problems.
But when I try to pack the pakchunk1, I get this error.

LogPakFile: Display: Loading response file C:\UnrealPakSwitch2\lista.txt
LogPakFile: Display: Added 38016 entries to add to pak file.
LogPakFile: Display: Collected 38016 files in 0.19s.
LogWindows: Error: Fatal error: [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Developer/DerivedDataCache/Private/DerivedDataBackends.cpp] [Line: 89]
LogWindows: Error: Unable to create backend graph using the default graph settings (DerivedDataBackendGraph) ini=../../../Engine/Programs/UnrealPak/Saved/Config/Windows/Engine.ini.
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd7e9930e6 UnrealPak-DerivedDataCache.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd7e99b34a UnrealPak-DerivedDataCache.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd7e99d97d UnrealPak-DerivedDataCache.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd1cfc0743 UnrealPak-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd1cfbfba8 UnrealPak-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd1cf6edd1 UnrealPak-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd1cf6ee0b UnrealPak-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd7ef624ed UnrealPak-PakFileUtilities.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd7ef6e06e UnrealPak-PakFileUtilities.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff7eb4aa5c7 UnrealPak.exe!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff7eb4ab338 UnrealPak.exe!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd98e47034 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ffd9aca2651 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []

I used the same method for both files, but why does only the second file show an error on the pack stage?
Don't delete "Engine" folder after unpacking pak. UnrealPak is creating configuration files based on unpacked PAKs to Engine folder that are later used to pack them back.
Not sure if mixing PAKs Engine folders is not an issue.
Try to unpack PAKs in separate UnrealPakSwitch folders and work on those.

Reactions: zerlkung

kenken0215

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi! I want to unpack a game that has a switch, but it doesn't work.

Code:
LogInit: Warning: No paths for engine localization data were specifed in the engine configuration.
LogPakFile: Warning: -compress is deprecated, use -compressed with UAT instead
LogPakFile: Display: Loading response file -compress
LogPakFile: Error: Failed to load -compress
LogPakFile: Display: Added 0 entries to add to pak file.
LogPakFile: Display: Collected 0 files in 0.00s.
LogPakFile: Display: CompressionFormats in priority order: Zlib
LogModuleManager: Warning: ModuleManager: Unable to load module 'C:/UnrealPakSwitchv9/v8.23/2/3/UnrealPak-DerivedDataCache.dll' because the file couldn't be loaded by the OS.
LogWindows: Error: Fatal error: [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/Misc/CoreMisc.cpp] [Line: 116]
LogWindows: Error: Derived Data Cache was requested, but not available.
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fff5feb8679 UnrealPak-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fffacb15282 UnrealPak-PakFileUtilities.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fffacb21f7e UnrealPak-PakFileUtilities.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff7bd37b037 UnrealPak.exe!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff7bd37be18 UnrealPak.exe!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fffc97e7034 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fffc9922651 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []

Please help me!

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi! I want to unpack a game that has a switch, but it doesn't work.

Code:
LogPakFile: Warning: -compress is deprecated, use -compressed with UAT instead
LogPakFile: Display: Loading response file -compress
LogPakFile: Error: Failed to load -compress
LogPakFile: Display: Added 0 entries to add to pak file.
LogPakFile: Display: Collected 0 files in 0.00s.
LogPakFile: Display: CompressionFormats in priority order: Zlib
LogModuleManager: Warning: ModuleManager: Unable to load module 'C:/UnrealPakSwitchv9/v8.23/2/3/UnrealPak-DerivedDataCache.dll' because the file couldn't be loaded by the OS.
LogWindows: Error: Fatal error: [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/Misc/CoreMisc.cpp] [Line: 116]
LogWindows: Error: Derived Data Cache was requested, but not available.
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fff5feb8679 UnrealPak-Core.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fffacb15282 UnrealPak-PakFileUtilities.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fffacb21f7e UnrealPak-PakFileUtilities.dll!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff7bd37b037 UnrealPak.exe!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007ff7bd37be18 UnrealPak.exe!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fffc97e7034 KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction []
LogWindows: Error: [Callstack] 0x00007fffc9922651 ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction []

Please help me!
Follow properly tutorial.
1. You are packing, not unpacking.
2. You didn't copy all files specified by tutorial.

jmga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi, thanks for the tutorial.

I have successfully unpacked and repacked a single file to make a patch, but the folder structure is not preserved in the newpak.

In the file list of the new pack file I can see the mount point has been modified.

Mount point ../../../Engine/Config/Switch/ instead of ../../../

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

EDIT: If I add a file to the pack from another root directory then the mount point is correct.

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Revolting.... Some of the stuff I have seen would probably give people PTSD lol