ROM Hack Question How to unpack and repack *pak files which dragon quest 11 demo has ?

Falo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Game uses Unreal Engine 4.18.3 "SDK MW+EpicGames+UnrealEngine-4_18_3", pak is Version 4.

The compression method in this game is 0x3 -> Oodle, but since it's version 4, UnrealPak.exe detects it as Zlib (because "(0x3 & 0x1) == 0x1").
The used Oodle compression is a little bit tricky, they reversed the compression tables and switched the big endian values to little endian.

Oodle is closed source (RAD Game Tools) and so it's up to the magic from aluigi (quickbms) to implement this custom algo.

Pokeytax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bumping this thread with the game release. Seems to be using similar Oodle compression to the demo. QuickBMS will need a different library for Oodle to unpack the contents.

Pokeytax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Game uses Unreal Engine 4.18.3 "SDK MW+EpicGames+UnrealEngine-4_18_3", pak is Version 4.

The compression method in this game is 0x3 -> Oodle, but since it's version 4, UnrealPak.exe detects it as Zlib (because "(0x3 & 0x1) == 0x1").
The used Oodle compression is a little bit tricky, they reversed the compression tables and switched the big endian values to little endian.

Oodle is closed source (RAD Game Tools) and so it's up to the magic from aluigi (quickbms) to implement this custom algo.

Thanks for the help, I'm looking at this and willing to do some work but can't figure it out. Are you sure it's Oodle? I know compression method is 0x3, yeah, but there's no Oodle header, and it looks bytewise which seems odd. A custom Oodle LZNIB/Selkie? I tried all the existing QuickBMS compression with no luck, it's definitely little-endian like you said.

Nevermore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get the extract to work... and I just realized as I was typing up this post, is my issue because the pak file is split up from when I dumped the Romfs?

upload_2019-10-9_21-2-39.png

Welp, redumping just the file, hopefully it stays intact.

EDIT: Yup, I'm a dum-dum, I just joined the two files, then ran the quick BMS and it worked flawlessly. Thank you.

Now I wonder how we can extract the texture files. JackGame\Content\UIs_common\Texture\Map has all the ingame maps.

Before I could use this UE Viewer set to Unreal 4.14 to open, but it doesn't work here :/
http://www.gildor.org/en/projects/umodel#files

Last edited by Nevermore,

Pokeytax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Lizard/LZ5 compression should be out of the picture now, that was the compression format of the pak and now the files are decompressed. I think unfortunately it’s a UE Viewer issue (which I know little about). DQXI S probably runs on Unreal 4.15 or higher (one of the reasons for the game taking so long was updating from Unreal 4.13).

The original version of my bms script output some uncompressed files at 0 bytes, so that could also cause an issue.

Last edited by Pokeytax,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: gn