Homebrew How to uninstall HiyaCFW on DSI

JohnB17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DISCLAIMER: This guide was made when I wasn't that experienced with it, so until I fix it at a later date:

DO NOT USE THIS

I read a couple places that if you followed "dsi.cfw.guide" that you were screwed, but I used that website and uninstalled it just fine. So here is how I uninstalled it:

Prerequisites:
  • fwtool (Firmware tool)
    • Note: Use the legacy version as the non-legacy version checks if the backup is bigger than the NAND which will not let you restore from the NAND backup.
  • unlaunch.dsi already on the SD card
    • You need this to uninstall.
  • Twilight Menu++ installed
    • This is to run the .nds and .dsi files.
  • pit.bin exploit setup
    • you need this to run the firmware tool after uninstalling Twilight Menu++ from the DSI menu.
  • A NAND backup
    • Obviously.

Instructions:

1. Go to DSI settings, then click "Data Management" and a menu will pop-up, click "Twilight-Menu++" and click "delete" this will delete it from the system NAND.
  2. Turn off the system, hold down (A + B) and press the power button, then when a menu pops-up, let go of (A + B) and use the d-pad to go to "OPTIONS" and press (A) use the d-pad and (A) in the list of items go one-by-one changing all of them from what they are to "launcher" this is the DSI menu. The one labeled "BUTTON A+B" leave it, this is fixed (unchangeable). When you are done changing all of them to "launcher" click "SAVE & EXIT" then power off.
  3. Power on your DSI and head to the camera app. Open the album on the SD Card to launch the pit.bin exploit, it should launch Twilight Menu++. Launch "unlaunch.dsi" (Unlaunch DSI Installer) then select "uninstall" let it finish then click exit and power off your DSI.
    • Note: Restoring from the NAND Backup will uninstall unlaunch, but I have found you can sometimes get errors if you don't uninstall before-hand.
  4. Power back on your DSI and go back into Twilight Menu++ and launch "fwtool.nds" (Nintendo DS firmware tool) then click "Restore nand_dsi.bin" You'll get an error, it just means it can't find it. Now click exit and power off. insert the sd card into your PC, where ever you put "fwtool.nds" there will be a folder called "FW************" (*=any number) put your NAND backup in there. If you have 2 files .bin and .bin.sha1 put them both in there. then boot up your DSI and go back into twilight menu, and run the firmware tool, and click "Restore nand_dsi.bin" this will take some time. when its done click exit and power off.
  5. And your Done! You can delete all files and folders except "DCIM" and "private" if you want to keep Twilight Menu++ Just don't delete the files and folders for it.
    • If you have a folder called "photo" this is just a backup of your pit.bin (Most likely the modified one, mine was). Also if your SD Card contains a "roms" folder it is (most likely) generated by Twilight Menu++, I would keep this as this folder also contains your saves.

Last edited by JohnB17,

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Some of this seems arbitrary, like deleting TWLM++ from your SDNAND via data management. It's not actually installed to the system memory. You also say You can delete all files and folders except "DCIM" and "private", which would also accomplish the same task.

Also, this is technically removing Unlaunch (which HiyaCFW uses) rather than just uninstalling HiyaCFW.

Considering that uninstalling Unlaunch and restoring your NAND is risky (I'm not very experienced with such things), why not just stop at step 2? Wouldn't it be virtually not there at that point? Or is this more about "virginizing" the system?

JohnB17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it is about virginizing the system. Also restoring from the NAND deletes HiyaCFW in turn uninstalling it from the system.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks. I've been kind of reluctant to install CFW on my DSi without having a clear idea on how to reverse the process.

I'm still not entirely clear on whether you need to install CFW at all in order to take full advantage of TWiLightMenu – or indeed if there's really much else you can do aside from run TWiLightMenu. Like, can you just use a compatible (i.e. not blacklisted) flashcart on stock firmware? Can I do something different if I have Flipnote installed?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Steps 3 and 4 are redundant or contradicting (depends):
  • If the NAND backup does not contain unlaunch, a restore will remove unlaunch.
  • If the backup has unlaunch, a NAND restore will restore unlaunch as well.
Note: Use the legacy version as the non-legacy version checks if the backup is bigger than the NAND which will not let you restore from the NAND backup.
This is a check which makes sense. Restoring a file bigger than NAND is not ideal. Some versions of fwtool created images exactly as big as NAND -- while replacing the last 64 bytes with nocash footer instead of appending the footer.

A good image is 64 bytes larger than NAND (and has to be truncated before restore).
============

Complete NAND restore is overkill for removing unlaunch. To minimize the risk it is a good idea to test the image you are about to restore with no$gba. I don't recommend using the restore function at all (outside testing accepting the risks).

===========
Since unlaunch is an optional step now on dsi.cfw.guide there is no real problem. Memory Pit and TWiLight Menu++ exist only SD and don't modify SysNAND at all.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since unlaunch is an optional step now on dsi.cfw.guide there is no real problem. Memory Pit and TWiLight Menu++ exist only SD and don't modify SysNAND at all.
So, does that mean that if you want, you can just launch TWiLight Menu from the photo viewer every time? And it can still do everything, including GBArunner2 and TWL clock speed?

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please delete this thread. You are not uninstalling hiyaCFW correctly, making people use unsafe tools and completely uninstalling Unlaunch, which is more than hiyaCFW.

JohnB17

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please delete this thread. You are not uninstalling hiyaCFW correctly, making people use unsafe tools and completely uninstalling Unlaunch, which is more than hiyaCFW.

Yeah, I was still new to this stuff. I will write a disclaimer at the top saying not to use this and I'll fix it at a later date.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...