How to uninstall .dols on Preloader, IOS trouble and Softmii inquiry

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Viro, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Viro
    OP

Newcomer Viro Member

United States
    So I was hearing how Preloader was a good program and decided to install it on my Wii. (3.2U) It worked great and I tried out Wiihome, which worked fine as well. Then I tried to install CrazyIntro with it. Seems CrazyIntro gave me problems and when I attempt to start the wii up, it gives me the error screen, so I got the 289.wad to uninstall Preloader. I figured that would've gotten rid of the problem.

So I reinstalled Preloader and when I try to load up, it still has the same files that I loaded onto it from the previous install and it goes back to giving me error screens. Is there a way I can completely remove the files I installed onto preloader? maybe I'm not seeing a certain option or something.

Now I've been having trouble with getting DVD movies to load on my wii. I attempt to install but the screen tells me I require IOS254 (I have a Wiikey v.1 chip) Now I saw that there's a patchmii-core.dol I need to install but I am unsure how to install it. I have tried to just load it up from the homebrew channel itself but it just gives me the first screen saying it's from bushing and it goes no further. Also, when I attempt to use my wii remote, the buttons just flash and thats it. Is there something I need to do with the patchmii-core.dol or rename it to something to get it to run. I have tried to read online but the explanations were very vague.

Now my last concern is Softmii. I am interested in making my own themes and boot up screens but one thing that turns me away is that it says it makes backups run at 3x. is there a way I can disable that feature as I have a chip in my system?

Thanks for reading this, I really hope some folks can lead me in the right directions.

2. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    The errors you got from an autoboot file in the preloader is just temporary... you don't need to uninstall preloader for that... you can always hold pressing reset on startup to get into preloader and install another dol...

Btw, yeah CrazyIntro just fails when jpg is not the right width and height or mp3 is really big... I'll possibly get rid of those problems in the next release..

Answer for the preloader part at least...

3. Viro
    OP

Newcomer Viro Member

United States
    Thanks for the reply dude. it helps on that front. Once I get the hang of your program I'll gladly use it. Props to your skills. BTW what is the proper width and height of jpgs? and what would be a good file size for the MP3s?

I did a silly thing and tried to load the patchmii-core.dol from the Preloader (figured that may have solved my DVD problem) but it gave me that same screen from as though I were loading it from the HBC. So I tried to install Crazy Intro again, but it still gives me the Patchmii screen and freezes up. I can still load the system if I do the reset+power way though or if I change the boot settings in Preloader.

Guess it's impossible to overwrite that file or delete that installation? Also, I'm assuming with installing Dols on Preloader I can only use ONE dol at a time? that'll make me more aware next time.

4. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    For SoftMii, I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure to change the system menu you ONLY havae to sue the SoftMii Tweaks app. That's what changes the systemmenu and the health screen and such.

5. Viro
    OP

Newcomer Viro Member

United States
    So if I were to install SoftMii, it would eliminate my problem i;m having involving Preloader? Also is there an option in Softmii that won't bother with the disc speeds?

6. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    No, don't you don't actually isntall SoftMii. SoftMii is a package of a few applications. Inside that pack there's an application called SoftMii Tweaks. Use that.

7. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    640x480 for PAL and 608x456 for NTSC I guess... at least what works for people... (those resolutions could change depending on video mode)
    For mp3 it's limited to the memory a homebrew program may allocate in one step.... I never made tests how much could be that... Since it will increase the boot time it's better to use small ones... Max 2MB...

For dvdx, in a chipped scenario , you should install ios249 or similar custom ios beforehand then you can use the normal installer and select the custom ios for dvdx to use in the installer... if that doesn't work, just uninstall and install again...

It works in my wiikey2ed wii... on the contrary it doesn't work on my other wii with d2ckey chip. Chip is incompatible I guess...

Yeah you can only use one autoboot dol at a time and there is no uninstall feature for the dol.

8. tarek93

Newcomer tarek93 Member

United States
    I need to uninstall .dol file I installed , can anyone help ?

* I tried to use AnyRegion Changer to install the 3.2 again but the file (& the preloader) are STICKY !!!!

9. Viro
    OP

Newcomer Viro Member

United States
    Thanks for the advice so far.

I'm still perplexed on installing patchmii-core.dol though. How would I go about the process of installing it properly?

10. SilverSurfR

Member SilverSurfR GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The issue I suspect you're having is from having updated to sysmenu 3.4 at some point. IIRC sysmenu 3.4 installs a copy of IOS9 to IOS254, blocking patchmii installation. I got around this by deleting IOS254 with AnyTitleDeleter, then running the patchmii_core installer.

11. Viro
    OP

Newcomer Viro Member

United States
    Thats good to know. Ill definitely use titledeleter when i get home. Thanks dude. Now when you mentioned this Shared2clean, if I use it, will it delete not only the preloader and the files I placed on it, but other things like homebrew channel as well?

Also, if I were to use Shared2clean, what order should I use the programs so It can be a clean install/uninstall?

12. Viro
    OP

Newcomer Viro Member

United States
    Ok I used Anytitle Deleter and deleted IOS254. I attempt to run patchmii-core.dol as a boot from the homebrew channel and it just hangs on the screen where it says "Patchmii core v0.1 by busing". Is there another way to load this file?

13. SilverSurfR

United States
    hmm... i'll try to find out more. not sure what's wrong.
    Edit: Got it... I deleted IOS254 and tried running patchmii_core and came up against the same thing you did... "Patchmii core v0.1 by bushing". Restarted, removed GC controller and memory card and tried again, successfully I might add. Let me know if this was your prob.

14. Viro
    OP

Newcomer Viro Member

United States
    yeh I took out my wavebird dongles and the install worked perfectly. heh weird.

Well that takes care of all that.

Now one thing that concerns me is Softmii. I attempted to load it into my Wii but I noticed that I was unable to load any of my homebrew. I ended up going back to what my wii was before that to keep safe but I'm wondering what I may have screwed up when installing it to cause my home brew to fail?

Also, I notice that people can make custom channels now. Can I be directed to where I can learn to make my own channels out of wads or be told the process?

Thanks again for all the advice!

15. SilverSurfR

United States
    No idea about your softmii issue. Any error messages? Was the install completely successful?

wadder.net for custom channels.

16. Viro
    OP

Newcomer Viro Member

United States
    What seems to happen was that any homebrew would just give me a blank screen and thats it.

I'm guessing I must have missed a step in the installation, but it's ok, i'll jus stick with the normal wii layout. I'd just rather have no health screen and custom channels [​IMG]

17. Viro
    OP

Newcomer Viro Member

United States
    Thanks again for the help and advice! I'm loving the wadder program and making my channels.

One thing though, when I tried to reinstall Preloader (for unbricking purposes) It says I need a certain file. (I'm not at my wii but it said I needed a IOS 38something I believe) and then the Wii goes corrupt. Thankfully, I used the 289.wad to restore my wii but I'm just wondering what IOS is needed to install Preloader properly.

18. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    Your IOS needs to be fully downgraded.

Have a run of IOS Downgrader.