Hacking How to unbrick using A9LH?

Lycan911

wolf boi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
(Just to make it clear, I didn't brick my console, I'm just curious.)

Now that that's out of the way, here's the question: How exactly does one unbrick a 3DS using A9LH without a hardmod? I've seen that in the "pros" section of pretty much any MenuHax vs. A9LH fight, but that's pretty much all everyone says: "Hurr durr you can unbrick without a hardmod.".
But NO ONE says how exactly is that unbrick possible, how to do it, what are the steps... Nothing!

So could someone please explain this to the peepz who might be interested in this?

Thanks.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can load a payload before the system boots up. So as long as you have a backup of your sysnand or emunand you can flash it and have it fixed again. Decrypt9 is what is used

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I would think it's for example with AuReiNand if you followed the OTP Guide.

If you hold L+R it will autoboot Decrypt9. From there you can restore a Xnand (emu/sys) without need the help from an exploit on the system itself. Since all is on a sdcard. Sure if the firm0 and firm1 gets FUBAR, they our out of luck. But then your system would be a brick anyway from a hardware failure rather than a software issue.

Conn0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an important message I'd like to share. If you are installing A9LH or updating it, you are not protected from a brick. You are only protected from bricks relating to (un)installing cias to the nand.

Source: me ;(

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an important message I'd like to share. If you are installing A9LH or updating it, you are not protected from a brick. You are only protected from bricks relating to (un)installing cias to the nand.

Source: me ;(
Well yes, flashing a dump to say, a fried nand chip would do nothing. Hardware failure cant be fixed by dumps... idk why you would think that?

Conn0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well yes, flashing a dump to say, a fried nand chip would do nothing. Hardware failure cant be fixed by dumps... idk why you would think that?
I didn't say anything about a hardware failure. I was just saying if something goes wrong in the install process then it would be a permabrick (of course you could always hard mod)

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say anything about a hardware failure. I was just saying if something goes wrong in the install process then it would be a permabrick (of course you could always hard mod)
Ahh, sorry about that then. I am really tired atm. xD And yea, I think most guides warn of risks.

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have always wondered can you always recover with a hard mod? (Short of hardware failure of the flash on the unit)

Are there any circumstances other than hardware failure that you could put your NAND into a state that even a hardmod cannot fix?

Thanks

Conn0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have always wondered can you always recover with a hard mod? (Short of hardware failure of the flash on the unit)

Are there any circumstances other than hardware failure that you could put your NAND into a state that even a hardmod cannot fix?

Thanks
Misuse of hammer and motherboard.

Maybe bricking and not having a backup.

Nandmods fix because it overwrites "the everything" including the possible mismatched firm partitions and whatever system cias you may or may not have deleted.
Edit: AKA: Hardmods fix yo shit.

Last edited by Conn0r,

Lycan911

wolf boi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So wait, even if the A9LH SysNAND bricks, it's still possible to access Decrypt9 using R+L (or whatever your shortcut is) on boot? I thought that would brick too?

RealityNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So wait, even if the A9LH SysNAND bricks, it's still possible to access Decrypt9 using R+L (or whatever your shortcut is) on boot? I thought that would brick too?
If you corrupts firm0 or firm 1 partition, your 3ds is bricked! (also a9lh). With an hardmod, you can access the NAND in order to repair the sysnand, so the 3ds.

Last edited by RealityNinja,

Raylight

Paranoid Temper
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Once you get a9lh installed, dont try to update it or touch it. Unless something super new comes out that makes it crucial to update it, the risk for many people just outweighs the benefits.
wait till safea9lh installer gets finished then we can update safer then what we currently can. what more can be done anyways.

Lycan911

wolf boi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Once you get a9lh installed, dont try to update it or touch it. Unless something super new comes out that makes it crucial to update it, the risk for many people just outweighs the benefits.
What do you mean by "update"? Updating the SysNAND's firmware, updating AuReiNand, or updating A9LH itself?

I already have A9LH with updated SysNAND and AuReiNand, so knowing which of the three is the most dangerous to mess with would be helpful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1