how to unbind a hardcover book

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by lum, Nov 12, 2008.

Nov 12, 2008

how to unbind a hardcover book by lum at 2:01 PM (2,568 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. lum
    OP

Member lum Hunter lvl

Australia
    i recently got a hardcover artwork book, and would love to make some posters out of it. but i figured unless i get the pages out perfectly, the picture won't meet. this is similar to when reading manga, u never see the bits closest to the spine.
    however, i realised when reading scanlations, there's never this problem, only possible if the spine was removed and each page scanned flat individually. I was wondering if unbinding it was a simple task or I shouldn't waste money on buying an artwork book (around A4 in size) just to ruin it and not get any decent pictures out of it.

Thanks!

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There are many ways by which such a book is made. Usually though it is glue and a "cotton" mesh and the pages are threaded in by section (about 30 pages usually).
    Cut down the creases in the spine to remove the back and then you can pick out what you need.

3. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    usually, to unbind a book, they use a large guillotine to cut off a small part of the spine

4. Ducky

Member Ducky QUACKJECTION!

Israel
    Look in the back of the book , Some books have a little metal piece that holds them together in the middle of the book from behind.