How to turn the Nintendo 3DS into the best retrogaming device? Flashcards? Custom Firmware?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Cristagally, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Cristagally
    OP

Cristagally Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2018
    France
    Hello everyone,

I already ask this into the "noob" sectioin on this forum, but I didn't receive many answers (only one, to be honest).
    I'ml not interested at the moment playing 3DS game. I use mainly my 3DS for retrogaming. Right now i'm playing through Virtual Console and it's quite fun, and easy to play (Zelda, Metroid etc...). I would like to use my 3DS for playing Sega Genesis/Master System/Game Gear, or Nintendo NES, SNES, GB or GBC game, or even Mame and Neo Geo games.

I would like to know if the easiest way to play "old" games is to install a custom firmware, or if a flashcard can do the same. (Price is not important). What guy do you think?

PS: I'm a bit lost with all this flashcard, is a one better than the others and support emulators?

Have a nice day everyone!

2. Bullseye

Bullseye GBAtemp Fan

Feb 22, 2016
    Retroarch, snes9x, GBA injects, VC injects, just start looking for those.

zacchi4k and TurdPooCharger like this.
  3. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    DS flashcard and CFW.
    But if you don't care about DS and 3DS games at all, CFW is all you need (then VC and emulators).

Last edited by Kubas_inko, Dec 12, 2018
    TurdPooCharger likes this.
  4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ definitely not Lilith

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    The best flashcart for emulation was the DSTWO, but they are extremely pricey and tend to be rather rare nowadays.
    I have tested several of those and I personally suggest using a CFW with VC injection along with Retroarch on a New3DS(XL)/New2DSXL. The New3DS(XL/n2DSXL) hardware has the best hardware support for emulation with 3DS hardware.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Dec 12, 2018
    TurdPooCharger likes this.
  5. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    @Cristagally, here's a quick & dirty list that covers most emulators and loaders.

6. jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer Neato Burrito!

Aug 24, 2018
    United States
    in ur orbit
    both are great, because with a flash cart, you can play all of the ds games you want, plus with cfw you can make vc injects on a pc, then install and play them on your system! (You'll need the roms tho)