FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A while back I wrote a little guide to it all
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-rom-hacking-documentation-project-new-2016-edition-out.73394/
As far as the level of Japanese you will need that varies (a kiddy anime game vs some in depth ancient Japanese historically accurate affair) but https://gbatemp.net/threads/densetsus-translation-toolbox.311523/ is a good start for things you will want to be able to do and handle.

Generally you are not going to have an easy in like you might with translating a document where you can put it on two screens/windows and get to it. There will be programming type activities involved. Technically there could be a tool that allows you to do something like the document model but those are rare on the DS (typically I only see them for the NES and SNES, maybe a few PC games as well, and when you do see them then they tend to be very popular franchises). Edit. No chance of that having a premade tool or likely even someone having cracked it open before to give you some hints.

Last edited by FAST6191,

wyattberryhill

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vinscool Is there a program for that?
PS: I can use google translate
Oh, and I want to know step by step to show the Japanese text to English text.

Last edited by wyattberryhill,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Vinscool Is there a program for that?
PS: I can use google translate
Oh, and I want to know step by step to show the Japanese text to English text.
No, google translate is awful and will not make anything resembling a good result.

I could spend the next 30 hours figuring out the game's text locations, encoding, pointer formats, font formats and everything else but it will probably still not help you unless I make a program too. At that point I might as well do it myself. You need to go learn something, possibly quite a lot, and then tackle the game. I tried to make the guide I linked earlier and which is in my signature instructive on how you might approach such things but there are other choices if that does not work for you, http://www.romhacking.net/start/ is one of them.
The short version is game creators can do anything they like to make a game and frequently do. If you want to play the hacker you have to have at least a grasp of all the things that could be involved, and then be able to figure it out. Such a thing works for translation as well.

If you needed an example of how bad it is then the stuff I just wrote sent to Japanese and then back again. If it was good it would still be good English. Instead

No, because Google translation is terrible, I will not create something similar to good results.

I was able to spend 30 hours to examine the text location of the game, encoding, pointer format, font format, everything else, but I will not be of assistance if I do not make a program. At that point I may do it on my own. You probably have to learn quite a few things and work on the game. I tried to make a guide that I linked earlier, but you can tell me how to approach such things but if there is not it for you it has other choices. http://www.romhacking.net/start/ of them.
A short version can do what gamers like to do games and do frequently. If you want to play hackers, you must be able to grasp at least everything that might be involved. Such things also work for translation.

Result is awful. Tenses gone, odd phrasing, timings, nature of actions to be done, nature of actions already done, subjects of phrases, concepts referred to... all broken and different. Do you think it will be any better for your game?

Reactions: VinsCool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.