How to translate nintendo ds roms

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by izclutch, Jan 4, 2010.

Jan 4, 2010
  1. izclutch
    OP

Newcomer izclutch Newbie

United States
    Hi I want to learn how to translate Japanese Roms to English. I already know the basics(unicoding, shift jis, hexadecimals) but I don't understand how to find the text in the rom. Or how to make a table. I search around the forum and found out that I have to unpack the rom but once I unpack the rom what do I do next
    also which rom should I start off with before i try something difficult
    Please help I really want to learn how to translate

2. jceggbert5

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
    Every game is different. Period... (except pokemon diamond/pearl-type scenarios where it's the same game with different characters, etc)

Chances are, alot of the text is compressed or encrypted so it will be hard to locate and modify the text.
    In some games, parts of the text are in an image, so you would have to (maybe decompress), find a suitable tile editor (personally, I like TileMolester) and use the right codec with the right palette to edit it, then re-insert it into the ROM and compress it if it was compressed before...

What game are you trying to translate? I would like to investigate this a little bit myself...

EIDT: I've never translated before, but I have investigated a little bit into a few ROMs (like NSMB (check my sig)) and have found this out...

3. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    I hear that there are some games with uncompressed text, try SEARCHING THE FORUM to see if you can find some.