How to translate a game from japanese to english using a mac?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by sleeping_forest, Sep 14, 2008.

1. sleeping_forest
    OP

Newcomer sleeping_forest Member

Canada
    ok... today i requested if someone would be kind enough to translate a game i wanted caled Twilight Syndrome Kinjirareta Toshi Densetsu. I realize that people probably do not have the time and i would have to get lucky if anyone wanted to translate this game, so i decided that i want to try and translate it myself. I've tried to google how to translate the game language but all the results come up for pc or i can't find any for mac. I do not own a pc and only have a mac, my parents are not gonna be buying me another computer so i'm stuck with a mac. I am wondering how do i do this for mac? (i'm a total noob at these kind of stuff) Please can someone teach me? If someone actually does teach me that would be awsome. please and thank you.

2. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    doesn't pc stand for personal computer? (or maybe not)

but if you are talking about a windows xp...

first of all, read documents in romhacking.net, grab yourself the right tools, and start translating.

I don't know if all of the programs that I use will work on a mac, but just get anything similar and hope it works [​IMG]

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    ndstool (the program behind the likes of DSLazy and DSBuff) has a mac port or two:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=95799

Hex editors are available for every system, I personally have several in common rotation so there is no need to really suggest any as it is a personal thing.

A tile editor might be a bit harder, can I suggest you dig around in the *nix ports of the GBA/DS development tools.

Emulators. I am not sure how well it works but:
    http://desmume.en.softonic.com/mac

Those are the main 4 tools of the trade, anything else is just a bonus.

4. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    for a tile editor use Tile Molester its written in java which shouldn't be hard to get working on a mac

5. sleeping_forest
    OP

Newcomer sleeping_forest Member

Canada
    @.@ doing this seems so confusing....