Hardware How to transfer Windows 10 from HDD to SSD?

fossda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a 1TB HDD with Windows 10 and a few games installed on it, and a 240GB SSD with nothing on it. The HDD is about half full. How do I transfer just the OS from the HDD to SSD, so my PC boots quicker but still has all my games and files on?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I recommend a clean install onto the SSD, then reinstalling any apps you had. If it's Steam, you can just point it's library to where they're already installed and it'll integrate seamlessly (may require copying save files, but otherwise that's it). Other games are more case by case.

Other methods would be cloning or user state migration tools, but they tend to leave a bit of a mess when it comes to files and registries since the target is smaller than the source.

Reactions: LucaSmash

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
When you've installed Windows onto a new drive (I.e. the SSD) and backed up all the files you want to keep (e.g. my Documents), you can simply delete the old Windows folder (and by extension, Program Files and Users folders too).

fossda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've installed Windows 10 on my SSD, how do I now get everything from my desktop, all my settings, etc to appear when I boot from SSD?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Settings aside, to get everything else on your new Windows install, just copy and paste Program Files to Program Files, Program Files (x86) to Program Files (x86), Users/<your account> to Users/<your account>. Then reinstall your apps and configure any missing settings to how you like it.

fossda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
But I don't want to transfer EVERYTHING because there isn't enough space. I only want my desktop and taskbar to look the same, but with the actual apps stored on the HDD.

AlicePhoebe

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There is a Microsoft utility called Windows Easy Transfer (WET), try it. EaseUS has also entered the market with an alternative Windows 10 Easy Transfer Tool, which is also a free download for home users. I haven’t used it, but I have used EaseUS’s free backup and partition management utilities.
Zinstall Easy Transfer is a commercial program that does the same thing for $59. It comes with support, which can be expensive.
In general, it’s better to re-install programs from scratch.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
When you reinstall the apps, you can make it install to the HDD instead of the SSD. That way most files are stored on the HDD, with only some configuration files stored on the SSD.

Edit: also of you do it this way, you don't have to copy the Program Files folders over, saving you space.

Last edited by Originality,

fossda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So if I reinstall apps on the HDD, will the desktop icon appear on the desktop when I'm booted on the ssd?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Going.