Gaming How to transfer Wii wbfs to Wii U

laz305

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone tell me or link me to the best way on how to transfer my Wii games that are in wbfs format to the Wii U. So the Wii games are on a portable 500GB HD in wbfs and I want to use that same HD on the Wii U. So should I back them up as ISO's or wbfs? And then once I back them up will WUP install them? Cuz ISO's are 4.3GB and can't be put on my SD Card. Cuz if so then I can't do ISO's right? It'll install wbfs files?

Last edited by laz305,

gatorman420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they will work the exact same way they did on the wii, have you modded the vWii on your wii u ? dont hook up your portable hard drive intill you launch Wii mode , if you turn the wii u on with the hard drive hooked up it will want to format it ... the games stay in the same format and souce/ur portable as they did on the original wii

laz305

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O ok I'll try that lol well I was wanting to have both games on same HD but I guess that's not possible. No biggie will swap HD's then ;)

gatorman420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also ,if the hard drive it powered by USB , you may need a Y-USB cable --- the older wii didn't need a Y-USB, newer wii's had the USB power output lowered just a bit to combat piracy make a single USB cable not work , the Wiiu has the same lower then standard 5v USB output , a Y-usb plugs into 2 usb port on the console , if you hook up the hard drive and it clicks but never spins up you need a Y-usb cable

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also ,if the hard drive it powered by USB , you may need a Y-USB cable --- the older wii didn't need a Y-USB, newer wii's had the USB power output lowered just a bit to combat piracy make a single USB cable not work , the Wiiu has the same lower then standard 5v USB output , a Y-usb plugs into 2 usb port on the console , if you hook up the hard drive and it clicks but never spins up you need a Y-usb cable

HDDs are officially supported (for eshop games). The reason those ports have low power output is not to combat piracy, but simply an oversight on ninty's part.

Reactions: Codemastershock

gatorman420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you cant have both wii and wii-u games on the same drive yet , they possibility is being worked on and will be out soon, Wii-u games can not be on a FAT32 drive yet or NTFS for that matter , they need a certail format for now like wii used to need, it is already possible for FAT32 , its not been released yet tho , but it will be soon , after that you can have both systems games on one drive

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I didnt mention that since he's got a ways to go before he gets to that ..... he wants wii and wii-u games on the same drive

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

laz305 , I'm no pro ... but I know a couple things ... message me if you need help with some thing .. I'll point you to the right guides and help ya with what I know --- I'm no programmer , but I do have 16 years of console modding and I pay close attention to detail , as much as my mind can any way. Course back in the day I was the one who figured out how to make Mafia City of lost Haven run with out a disc, and thats the only version online to date, also found a major flaw in Direct Connect and DC++ that was never fixed ( thats old school file sharing program)

wg93589

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a video tutorial of this cuz I'm not sure if that's what I want. Also it's probably too late for me cuz I've already loaded 100GB of games onto my new HD so I'd have to format it and reinstall them again?
You don't have to reformat, all this does is changes something with the drive to keep the Wii U from detecting it but it lets Wii HB apps use it so you can keep ur drive plugged in. A down side though is that not all Wii HB apps support U-Stealth Drives but stuff like USB Loader GX does support it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: +1