Hacking [How To] Transfer system data from original 3DS to Gateway 3DS

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm posting this to confirm and let others know that doing a system transfer from original non-Gateway 3DS to gateway 3DS, totally works! (For those who don't know already)

Whenever someone asked about it on other sites, users respond saying that they aren't sure and have never tried it. Only a very few users know that it works, and I wonder why there isn't an official tutorial or confirmation that this is possible. (If there is anything on this on an official Gateway guide, my apologies.)

With all this done, your Gateway 3DS and original non-Gateway 3DS will be fused together and become one, and your original 3DS will become a blank slate. Your old Gateway Data will be wiped out, so only the data from your original 3DS will exist on the Gateway 3DS.
You'll never have to keep switching between both 3DS to access your data.

After doing the system transfer, here are the results:

- Everything can only be seen and accessed from emunand (Eshop purchases, etc)
- You're free to download any previously purchased Eshop games (Or just transfer the Nintendo 3DS folder from the original 3DS SD card and everything will automatically be on the menu)
- Save files are still intact
- Friends list from original 3DS is imported
- Mii's are all here (Good for when Smash Bros comes out, which I plan to buy)
- Almost all virtual console games working (NES, GB, GBC, 3D Classics are working perfect)
- DSIWare and Ambassador GBA games not working, black screen (The ONLY issue here, everything else works flawless)

How To:
Caution: If you just got your Gateway and you're new to Gateway usage, I suggest learning a bit more about Gateway before attempting this.

This FAQ will help you understand more about Gateway!

You do NOT want to transfer the system data to the sysnand! This process only involves the emunand, so everything you do, it must be from the emunand. Read these instructions carefully and be sure that you've entered emunand before each step. There's absolutely nothing you need to do in sysnand, PERIOD. Besides going to settings to launch emunand.
As Gateway users, we should all know that we must enter emunand in order to do anything with the 3DS. You'll know when you've entered emunand, when you've went to settings and loaded "DS Profile".
Considering that you'd be on the latest 3DS firmware on emunand, you will see the miiverse icon on the top right. Something you can't possibly have on sysnand when on 4.5.
I looked over my guide and tried my best to make this noob friendly. It's hard to mess up on this, but there's a slim chance that you will if you're fairly new to Gateway.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

v Click the spoiler below to proceed to the instructions

1.) Update your original non-Gateway 3DS to the latest firmware, and also update your Gateway 3DS FROM emunand to the latest (ONLY IF you've read that Gateway supports the latest firmware. 8.1 Being the latest as of now, which Gateway supports.)

2.) Backup the "Nintendo 3DS" folder from your original non-Gateway 3DS to a computer (Just in case, not sure if it will format the SD card) Also backup the DCIM and Music folder.

3.) Now launch the system transfer on the original non-Gateway 3DS. On the Gateway 3DS, load up emunand and launch system transfer from there. Follow through with the instructions on-screen.

4.) When it asks to delete the data from the Gateway 3DS SD card, click no (You need emunand, as this transfer is going purely to the emunand.)

5.) Once the transfer process finishes, it will tell you that the system will be restarted. This is when you hit the wireless switch off before continuing.

6.) The system will restart and try to connect to the internet (You will be in settings automatically), just load up emunand like usual, by going to "Other settings", then "Profile", then "DS Profile".

7.) Once again, settings will automatically be loaded, this is when you should enable the wireless switch and let it connect to the internet (Considering that you're in emunand, you can check the firmware to be sure it says GWDS 8.1)

8.) After the process is done, I believe it will bring you back to sysnand. Just power off the 3DS and get ready to transfer the original "Nintendo 3DS" folder to the Gateway 3DS SD card.

9.) Turn on the Gateway 3DS and you will notice that sysnand has nothing new. Launch emunand and behold, all your original games and everything else is on the menu. You can now use your original 3DS data from emunand!

Optional) You'll want to backup your emunand, in case you lose your SD card, or it gets corrupted. If this were to happen, you'd have to install another 4.5 emunand on your SD card, and update to the newest firmware from emunand. What if the newest firmware isn't what Gateway currently supports, you'd be stuck without Gateway.

What you can do to backup your emunand, is to make an image backup of your SD card. This will convert the contents on your SD card into one file that you can backup and restore at a later point. You can use Win32DiskImager to create your backup. Thanks to Quicksilver88 for this useful tip!

Drawbacks:

There are no drawbacks so far, no reason to regret ever doing this transfer. Besides the lack of working DSIWare and Ambassador GBA games. Also having to go to emunand (With the Gateway card inserted) to access your virtual console/other Eshop games.

The only thing I can think of, is Nintendo updating the firmware and we'll be locked out of eshop until Gateway releases a new update. There's nothing I really need from the eshop anyways, I have everything I need from there. Almost no reason to ever need to go to eshop. Unless a time comes when a famous indie game like Shovel Knight is released, we wouldn't be able to buy it for a while. So if Eshop is important to you, keep hold of your original 3DS.

Also not being able to access your eshop games from sysnand. You can't download them from eshop either, or else you'd update your sysnand. So it's entirely forced on emunand itself.
Just know that if emunand is deleted in any way, you can simply recreate it and you should still have all your games there. Since emunand is a copy of the sysnand, so don't worry about losing your system data if your SD card were to be lost. It's tied to the 3DS itself, emunand or not.

The inconvenience of always needing your Gateway card to boot into emunand to play your virtual console/other Eshop games, or to boot into Classic mode for retail cartridges can be another drawback if you plan on getting rid of your original 3DS. You'll really need to get used to booting into either mode. Others wouldn't be able to use your 3DS unless you taught them how to boot it up (No kids allowed)

My usual plan to get a Gateway 3DS, is to sell my original 3DS first. But luckily I was able to sell old N64 games instead. Now that I see that my original 3DS is useless, I'll end up selling it anyways. Considering that my Gateway 3DS is brand new from the box.

Nobunaga

Empty
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I don't think you need to update your 3DS to the latest firmware as you will lose the ability to boot the exploit. Overall nice guide. ^_^

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you need to update your 3DS to the latest firmware as you will lose the ability to boot the exploit. Overall nice guide. ^_^

Which 3DS are you thinking of? :ohnoes:

I mentioned updating the original 3DS, then updating the Gateway 3DS on Emunand. Leaving sysnand untouched. I'm not sure if it's required to have both on 8.1 for the transfer to work. I'd need confirmation from someone who tried this while having their original 3DS on 7.0.
In the end, I was able to keep my Gateway 3DS on 4.5, while having my original 3DS on the emunand.

marcoz9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
so in theory i can transfer from mi original 3ds to the emunand make a backup of the emunand ,then transfer back to the original and load the backup to emunand would it be possible ?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
so in theory i can transfer from mi original 3ds to the emunand make a backup of the emunand ,then transfer back to the original and load the backup to emunand would it be possible ?
yes, but it will delete the data when you connect to the internet...so you would have to keep restoring it whenever you connect online

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
ok i mainly ask it because if i may keep mi legal backup of pokemon before i sell mi 3ds to mi cousin thanks
well its not really a legal copy if you have cloned it, they license is transferred to the other console , that why it gets deleted when you connect to the internet....also meaning you loose your save every time you connect to the internet for some eshop games unless you are constantly backing up and restoring emunand every time you want to go online

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Man this sounds a dodgy guide and really should be took down asap, Gateway users may read it and think they can update there 3DS to the latest firmware! I'm not sure this guide is a good idea to read.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man this sounds a dodgy guide and really should be took down asap, Gateway users may read it and think they can update there 3DS to the latest firmware! I'm not sure this guide is a good idea to read.

Come on its not that hard......maybe he should refer to the Original 3DS as the OFW unit but it is pretty clear. You have to have both units on the same firmware. If you have 4.5 units then you want to run them on EMUNAND but if you dont' then your OFW unit needs the SYSNAND to be updated to latest to match the GW machine.

I am getting ready to do a transfer myself as I have 2 XL units (one OFW, one GW) and I too want to sell my OFW XL to get some coin going to buy the N3DS when it releases next year. I wish the GBA/DSi stuff worked but it sounds like GW is addressing it so hopefully in the next update they will get at least the GBA stuff flying.

An added point and that is after you do your transfer you might want to either backup your EMUNAND with the tool (and then the folder files), or better yet just win32diskimager and make an image of your entire memory card. If it corrupts and you have no backup then you will have an easy offline restore method, because if it corrupts and you have to create a new 4.5 EMUNAND and you can't update or get in eShop then you will have to wait until a new GW release to get you back online to re-download your purchases. I keep backups of all my EMUNANDs just in case.

Reactions: MattKimura

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Come on its not that hard......maybe he should refer to the Original 3DS as the OFW unit but it is pretty clear. You have to have both units on the same firmware. If you have 4.5 units then you want to run them on EMUNAND but if you dont' then your OFW unit needs the SYSNAND to be updated to latest to match the GW machine.

I am getting ready to do a transfer myself as I have 2 XL units (one OFW, one GW) and I too want to sell my OFW XL to get some coin going to buy the N3DS when it releases next year. I wish the GBA/DSi stuff worked but it sounds like GW is addressing it so hopefully in the next update they will get at least the GBA stuff flying.

An added point and that is after you do your transfer you might want to either backup your EMUNAND with the tool (and then the folder files), or better yet just win32diskimager and make an image of your entire memory card. If it corrupts and you have no backup then you will have an easy offline restore method, because if it corrupts and you have to create a new 4.5 EMUNAND and you can't update or get in eShop then you will have to wait until a new GW release to get you back online to re-download your purchases. I keep backups of all my EMUNANDs just in case.

Yeah maybe for you and me but others that are not so clued up with Gateway methods may just go and update reading this thinking its OK to go and do it and trust me there will always be someone out there that will read this and then will go and do it and then blame the OP when it goes wrong and it will be his/her responsibility for posting the thread!

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I completely agree with this, I admit that I wrote my guide without any noob consideration. I didn't concentrate on any details or special looks.
I just looked over the entire guide and fixed things here and there to make it more noob friendly. I've added a caution to warn them before attempting this.
Thanks for the input, it really helped me look back at my guide.

@ Quicksilver88
Thanks for the encouragement and letting me know about the term I should use for "Original 3DS". I highlighted it blue and decided to name it "Original non-Gateway 3DS", so hopefully there's no confusion now.

Anymore input would be helpful!

SlCKB0Y

Trophies
XP
Country

A simpleton could follow this guide.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I am confused, I assumed everyone already knew, that this works? this is absolutely nothing new and has been done a myriad of times already....
guess, it was a good thing, that a guide was made, if people actually didn`t know it
but it has been discussed and done alot of times already, so yes, it does work

xtreme1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am confused, I assumed everyone already knew, that this works? this is absolutely nothing new and has been done a myriad of times already....
guess, it was a good thing, that a guide was made, if people actually didn`t know it
but it has been discussed and done alot of times already, so yes, it does work

Source?

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

this forum
I will not search the posts for you
even the OP states, that this is nothing new and people already know this, but apparently many new users don`t

edit: this has been done alot in the past, but during the time that gateway had to work on the 7.x encryption for emunand, of course, it wasn`t possible, so newer people apparently tend to not know it, but older members know about it

edit2:by the way, nothing against the OP or his guide, I was just surprised, that someone even asked, if this would actually work... yes of course it works, it worked in the past and now, that the 7.x encryption is broken and emunand supports the latest firmware version again, it obviously works again

Reactions: MattKimura

SlCKB0Y

Trophies
XP
Country
this forum
I will not search the posts for you
even the OP states, that this is nothing new and people already know this, but apparently many new users don`t

edit: this has been done alot in the past, but during the time that gateway had to work on the 7.x encryption for emunand, of course, it wasn`t possible, so newer people apparently tend to not know it, but older members know about it

edit2:by the way, nothing against the OP or his guide, I was just surprised, that someone even asked, if this would actually work... yes of course it works, it worked in the past and now, that the 7.x encryption is broken and emunand supports the latest firmware version again, it obviously works again

I actually went through the procedure outlined in this guide a few weeks ago.

It was not a well documented process at all with numerous search results claiming it would not work.

I can confirm this works as long as the source 3ds is running the latest firmware. The target, gateway enabled 3ds needs to be booted into emunand which is also updated to the latest version.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I actually went through the procedure outlined in this guide a few weeks ago.

It was not a well documented process at all with numerous search results claiming it would not work.

I can confirm this works as long as the source 3ds is running the latest firmware. The target, gateway enabled 3ds needs to be booted into emunand which is also updated to the latest version.

like I said, it`s probably good to have an easy tutorial around now, but its an easy procedure, which has been known for a long time already, so probably noone really considered lining it out step by step until now ^_^
although I think there have been some smaller tuts about this before, but hidden in some old threads about nand backups and emunand
I can`t really understand, why or where you read, that people wouldn`t be sure about this to work... maybe you misread some posts of people saying it theoretically works, but currently doesn`t (it didn`t work for a period of time, while the 7.x encryption wasn`t cracked yet)

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
Good guide. I always want to do this but I don't want to transfer all my purchases on just emunand. If bad luck kicks in, I could lose all my purchases and that would hurt a lot. Got 28 digital full titles and lots of other downloadables. Its a hassle bringing 2 XL's all the time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.