Hacking Question how to transfer games from HD to SD using SX OS

chrisnasah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have managed to get my external HD working with switch and can see the games and play via the HD but is there a way i can transfer this to SD now without having to remove the SD?

I can see the games in the installer folder and not sure how different is it to to when i move it to SD card manually? Installing a game seems to take an age from there hence was hoping there was a easier way to transfer to SD from HD.

Thanks

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
not understanding why you want to move the files to SD, then install.

use SX Installer v1.52 (NOT the built in installer - download it from the SX OS web site) and then INSTALL direct from the HDD to the SD card. Don't copy.. install.

You're saving a step then.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you mean XCI files on the HDD - then the SX Installer v1.52 also allows you to copy the XCI file to your SD card from the HDD.

But if it's something you're going to play regularly.. just install the game from XCI to SD card (like you would do if it were an NSP file).

But best to do it that way ONLY if you're using emuNAND - then you won't be banned.

If you're NOT using emuNAND then you run the risk of banning your console when you install anything to SD card (and go online, even if checking for updates).

chrisnasah

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

use SX Installer v1.52 (NOT the built in installer - download it from the SX OS web site) and then INSTALL direct from the HDD to the SD card. Don't copy.. install.

If you mean XCI files on the HDD - then the SX Installer v1.52 also allows you to copy the XCI file to your SD card from the HDD.

But if it's something you're going to play regularly.. just install the game from XCI to SD card (like you would do if it were an NSP file).

But best to do it that way ONLY if you're using emuNAND - then you won't be banned.

If you're NOT using emuNAND then you run the risk of banning your console when you install anything to SD card (and go online, even if checking for updates).

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. i am using emuNand so not an issue.

So yes this are XCI files which are in HDD, i am confused on what is the difference between installing this or just sitting on the SD card. Will it save on space? I mean its just easier to move games if required and installing takes longer.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. i am using emuNand so not an issue.

So yes this are XCI files which are in HDD, i am confused on what is the difference between installing this or just sitting on the SD card. Will it save on space? I mean its just easier to move games if required and installing takes longer.

As I said.. if you're going to play the game regularly then you may as well just either copy the XCI to the SD card, or IF you use emuNAND then install it to the SD Card.

The benefits of XCI on HDD are you can pick and choose what you want to play, rather than copying them all to the SD card.

As for not using emuNAND when you have SX OS? The whole purpose of emuNAND is so you can play backups offline, while not risking your Switch being banned when you go online with your sysNAND. Unless you were a really early adapter of SX OS before emuNAND was introduced then I cannot reason why you wouldn't use it for protection f your sysNAND (and also to protect you from malicious brick software).

mickthestud

Trophies
XP
Country

Just curious why don’t you recommend using sx built in installer did a few xci and nsp last night from my 1 tb hdd worked a treat

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just curious why don’t you recommend using sx built in installer did a few xci and nsp last night from my 1 tb hdd worked a treat

the built in installer seems to have problems if you upgrade your firmware to 8.0.1 - the tickets or something from the old installer are not recognized and you need to re-install everything again.

the built in installer hasn't been upgraded since it was first included, better to use the newer (but still hasn't been updated in a while) SX Installer v1.52 which is on the SX OS web site.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I personally don't see the point in installing xci's since they are playable just by sitting on your SD card or external HDD. Unless you wanted the said game on your internal Switch drive.

mickthestud

Trophies
XP
Country
the built in installer seems to have problems if you upgrade your firmware to 8.0.1 - the tickets or something from the old installer are not recognized and you need to re-install everything again.

the built in installer hasn't been upgraded since it was first included, better to use the newer (but still hasn't been updated in a while) SX Installer v1.52 which is on the SX OS web site.
Ok my switch is still on 7.0 probably why I don’t have issues

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: