Transfer emuNAND to another SD card. Working on New3DS!

EDIT: The emuNAND Tool has been updated and now works again!

Since right now the emuNAND Tool doesn't work, I've come up with a workaround:

Programs you will need:
Both these programs are free.

PLEASE NOTE: Doing the following method will make a 1:1 copy of the source SD card and put it on the target SD card. It will transfer everything, not just emuNAND.

How to:
  1. Plug the source SD card into your PC, this is the card that you want to transfer emuNAND from.
  2. Run USB Image Tool
  3. Click on the SD card and then "Backup"
  4. Remove the source SD Card and replace it with the target SD Card.
  5. Click on the new SD card, locate the backup image and then "Restore"
  6. Run EaseUS Partition Master and click on "EaseUS Partition Master Free"
  7. Right click on the SD card's partition with data on it, it should be in between two Unallocated partitions and choose "Resize/Move Partition"
  8. Click on the MIDDLE PARTITION, the one that has the data on it and expand it TO THE RIGHT (VERY IMPORTANT)
  9. Click OK
  10. Click Apply on the top left, then OK
  11. Done!
Important Information:
Currently with Gateway 3.1.0 there's a (visual?)bug with higher capacity microSD cards. When running emuNAND it doesn't show the "GW3D" in settings, before the version number telling you if you're in emuNAND or not, because of this its very risky to update emuNAND.
With my guide you can use a 4gb microSD card (where the visual bug doesn't happen) to format emuNAND, update to the latest firmware and transfer it onto a higher capacity microSD card.

Don't panic! - When the transfer is complete and you run the updated emuNAND on your new 3ds it still wont show the "GW3D" prefix before the version number. It'll just say 9.5.0-22E or something along those lines.

Any questions, feel free to ask :)

Anton299

Trophies
Website
www.shedevr.org.ru
XP
Country
Ukraine
Thanks for tutorial.
Successfully transferred Palatine CFW 4.5 from 8 GB micro-SD card to 16 GB SD card. (But used Win32 Disk Imager instead of USB Image Tool).
Everything works perfectly on new card.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I have not read up but I gather then I can extract my 9.5x emunand from my old 3DSXL sd card and transfer it onto the Micro sd card for the New NintendoXL and it will work?

tipsytoto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not read up but I gather then I can extract my 9.5x emunand from my old 3DSXL sd card and transfer it onto the Micro sd card for the New NintendoXL and it will work?
You cant because that emunand is tied to the base console. My suggestion would be, crete a new 9.5 emunand onthe n3ds. Then do an emunand to emunand system transfer. Not 100% sure this would work though so dont take my word for it.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You cant because that emunand is tied to the base console. My suggestion would be, crete a new 9.5 emunand onthe n3ds. Then do an emunand to emunand system transfer. Not 100% sure this would work though so dont take my word for it.
Won't work. System transfer requires an internet connection and will update the nand to the latest version. The new 3DS does not yet support 9.6, updating the emunand to that will cause a black screen.

Reactions: tipsytoto

StarOfDoom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to Necro post (don't know the rules on Necro posting here) but just wanted to say thank you so much haha, worked perfect!

arcangelnew

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Follow your guide but rxtools doesn't detect my emunand anymore, anyway to fix it??? already verify issue and it looks like the offset is the problem, but can't find any tools to repair the offset (reformating emunand is not an option).

starly396

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait... does this accomplish the same thing as unlinking your sysNAND and emuNAND? I haven't unlinked mine yet, and I was thinking of formatting my sysNAND. Where does this fit in?

EDIT: JK my question doesn't make sense, of course it's not the same thing.

undercoverjamil

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I have a old 3ds firmware 6.2, with rxtools on it. it has a 2gb SD card, emunand on latest one and mariokart cia running perfectly on the emunand.

i want to exchange the 2gb SD card with a 32gb one, so that I can fit more games on.

I want everything as it is, just want to swap the SDs

Is this the tutorial I follow for this? I don't need to format my emunand (don't know how to do that) or anything complicated do I?

thanks

hremerald

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

I have a old 3ds firmware 6.2, with rxtools on it. it has a 2gb SD card, emunand on latest one and mariokart cia running perfectly on the emunand.

i want to exchange the 2gb SD card with a 32gb one, so that I can fit more games on.

I want everything as it is, just want to swap the SDs

Is this the tutorial I follow for this? I don't need to format my emunand (don't know how to do that) or anything complicated do I?

thanks

Yes, it is, and it works perfectly :D

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone have luck with a 128 gb card on N3DS? I transfered mine, but most of my CIAs won't install because the installers (I've tried a few) say they're invalid when they install just fine on my O3DS 128 gb card. So I think the installers need to be updated to handle large cards on N3DS.

adambomb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a feeling this method is causing me to fail installing CIAs somewhat randomly. I get the invalid CIA msg and it gives me error code 0xc960454c. I transferred from a 8gb to a 16gb and it's on the same o3ds. Just kinda happens randomly, large games are near impossible to install. If I keep trying I can get CIAs to install that previously gave me the invalid CIA msg.

Pleb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
someone please correct me if i'm wrong as i'm nothing more than a filthy pleb. Anyways essentially what this allows me to do is copy my emunand and the rest of the contents on my 32gb micro sd card from my N3DS Xl to lets say a 64gb micro sd card which i will then be able to use again on the same console?
are all my CIA's still present on the emunand or would i have to reinstall everything again?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
someone please correct me if i'm wrong as i'm nothing more than a filthy pleb. Anyways essentially what this allows me to do is copy my emunand and the rest of the contents on my 32gb micro sd card from my N3DS Xl to lets say a 64gb micro sd card which i will then be able to use again on the same console?
are all my CIA's still present on the emunand or would i have to reinstall everything again?
If you transfer both the emuNand partition and the contents of the FAT32 partition, you should have all your CIAs present and functioning. It worked perfectly fine for me upgrading from the 4GB included card to a 32GB card.

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you transfer both the emuNand partition and the contents of the FAT32 partition, you should have all your CIAs present and functioning. It worked perfectly fine for me upgrading from the 4GB included card to a 32GB card.
Is it possible to transfer to a 128 GB microsd on N3DS?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to transfer to a 128 GB microsd on N3DS?
As far as I know, it should be possible. But I don't have a N3DS or a 128GB card to test with. I know that only a rather small number of cards are listed as "officially supported", though that just means the ones that Nintendo has done thorough testing on. You were having issues earlier, so I'd be hesitant to recommend it to someone. It could be an issue with the SDXC instead of the SDHC cards. Unfortunately, I don't have enough information to be able to say.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs