How to tell what modchip my Saturn has in it??

freestile

OP
Trophies
https://www.youtube.com/user/freestilesteve
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone whats up??? I was just wondering if theres a way I can tell which/what modchip my Sega Saturn has. All I know is its been years since it was installed. I had somebody do it for me that owed me some work so I just had them install it for me. All I can remember was that I purchased it from Racketboy site\forum.. It seems to work as it should so no problem there. Im using model MK80000A saturn as per the label on the back. Was there just 1 saturn modchip fits all, or was there certain/different models. I know there was a difference between the models and a model 2 with oval buttons instead of round or something. I,ll take some pictures, but Im just wondering if maybe somebody would know which one. I wanna say this was done 8-10 years ago if not longer but not much. Id say about 12 years max but its been quite a while. If anybody knows whats good let me know. Im wondering if theres been any updates to the chip firmware or would it be called software? Etc, etc. Or if it was just install and then thats it forever. Thanks for any info on this.

20210520_104525.jpg 20210520_104413.jpg

Last edited by freestile,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not going to rule out someone being well versed in Saturn chips around here (it is a somewhat noted game console and library people go back and explore a bit) but I can't say I have seen a great deal of conversation.

There might be someone that knows the rough timelines/availabilities of things, or has a test like "power on with ... open and .... held... burn this disc and... test this game and..." that gives the game away but if you could whip the case off and show at least some solder points if not the chip itself that would probably be what is needed here.

Reactions: freestile

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm only casual, but don't go by the buttons, but the actual drive/motherboard revision.

AFAIK the only changes in recent years has been the rise of ODDs and the Pseudo Saturn Kai carts.

Long term I'd consider getting an ODD emulator, save wear on the laser.

freestile

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey thanks guys. I actually went through my emails and found my login for the racketboy site. This was further back then I even thought.. Around May 4th of 2006. Apparently in one of my msgs the user told me this from the screenshot. I'm sure at the time I relayed this information to the person installing it.

Without actually opening it up that seems to be my best bet. If the ODD emulator is not hard I'll possibly do it. I may just pick up a Saturn Kai cart to have one. I probably need the action replay cart more so for the ability to save/transfer saves since I already have the modchip installed for my imports/backups, but I would think the kai carts have the same abilty to transfer saves to the cart like the atcion replay, although I'm not sure if thats even how the action replay works. I'm only assuming that. I know that interact/performance/ company made some too so I definitely have to do some homework. It seems like my save battery/cmos are whatevger its called still held up as I played a quick round of loaded and it seemed to let me save after the first level and once I restarted and power off I was still able to load my save. Thanks again. I def want to look into the ODD when I get a chance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-20 144519.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-20 144519.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited by freestile,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I installed an ODE in my Saturn last year and had to remove a modchip I had forever in it. I'm not 100% certain but I think the name was something like Phoenix or Phantom?

freestile

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I installed an ODE in my Saturn last year and had to remove a modchip I had forever in it. I'm not 100% certain but I think the name was something like Phoenix or Phantom?

I wouldn't want to exactly remove the modchip if I didnt have to. I'm wondering if the fenir one is going to be the same way when it comes out .Installation looks a breeze and I'm kind of leaning towareds something like that one for this Saturn.If not then ultimately I'd like to find another saturn to do it on.For some reason I really dont have any problem wearing out the laser, but I probably should because I cant really run across a saturn locally cheap. I see everything else all the time, and I have 3+ of everything else , but this one right here I'd have to resort to ebay for another and pay a little bit so I really don't want to wear it out/ruin it/mess it up either. Unless of course I came across another Saturn cheap. I've had this one for yeaes and I think I payed $20 for it and it looked new like it had never been used. I'm pretty sure I had it some time before I aquired the mod chip. Something tells me this modchip has to be the phantom or the phoenix. I really have no clue what else it could be, and being the fact I got it directly from Racketboy it seems like that was the name/s I vaugely remember. Thnaks for that. Now at least I have a name to go by.

Reactions: subcon959

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: collecting the coins, or wall busting through the game