Hardware How to tell if you have IPS vs Cheap nintendo screen new 3ds

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
How do you tell if you have an IPS screen vs a cheap nintendo screen on your new 3ds?
Turn the unit on, and look at the display at a slanted angle. If the colours look as vibrant as if you were looking straight at the screen, then it's an IPS display. If the colours appear washed out, then it's a TN display.

IMG_0667.jpg

Left: TN display, Right: IPS display​

Last edited by NekoMichi,
Reactions: Xenon Hacks

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
How do you tell if you have an IPS screen vs a cheap nintendo screen on your new 3ds?
What the guy above said plus if you have a reg sized n3ds it will be TN. In fact, almost all recently purchased n3ds(XL)s will be TN.
If you have to ask to figure out the difference, can it really matter?
Maybe if he hasn't seen both? I have and the difference is dramatic.

Last edited by zoogie,
Reactions: Xenon Hacks

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turn the unit on, and look at the display at a slanted angle. If the colours look as vibrant as if you were looking straight at the screen, then it's an IPS display. If the colours appear washed out, then it's a TN display.

IMG_0667.jpg

Left: TN display, Right: IPS display​

LOL Nintendo are some thiefs.

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really so my newer model isnt IPS? Only the initial models were ips? The bottom screen on mine changes colors from bright to dark on its own does this prove I have a good screen? The top screen looks pretty decent. Overall I am pretty dissatisfied with my purchase though.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Really so my newer model isnt IPS? Only the initial models were ips? The bottom screen on mine changes colors from bright to dark on its own does this prove I have a good screen? The top screen looks pretty decent. Overall I am pretty dissatisfied with my purchase though.
All lower screens are TN displays, only the top screen varies between IPS or TN. For the record, my O3DS has a TN display while N3DSXL has an IPS display.

Last edited by NekoMichi,

funnystory

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yay IPS display for me !

Pip'

Mine looks IPS too to the fullest. Hopefully I am not imagining it but my n3ds looks like pic on right.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

All lower screens are TN displays, only the top screen varies between IPS or TN. For the record, my O3DS has a TN display while N3DSXL has an IPS display.

So o3ds for sure has tn display?MAybe comparing the two would help me see the difference.

Although those pictures do speak 1000 words.

chemistryfreak

Trophies
XP
Country
Damn it, my MHX New 3DSLL have TN screen, no wonder I have this feeling that the screen/image looks washout after I did a system transfer from my launch day N3DSLL to MHX N3DSLL.

Reactions: cearp
D

Deleted-355425

i have launch day N3ds xl IPS and a newer N3ds xl with TN and the shoulder buttons on the TN are way nicer and the hinges dont make that crack noise when you open it lol. Its a nice trade off.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i have launch day N3ds xl IPS and a newer N3ds xl with TN and the shoulder buttons on the TN are way nicer and the hinges dont make that crack noise when you open it lol. Its a nice trade off.
im assuming you mean the clicking noise onces its fully opened, i prefer that it lets me know that the build is solid, at least i know when it starts to stop doing that my hinges will be well used lol and may need replaced

D

Deleted-355425

im assuming you mean the clicking noise onces its fully opened, i prefer that it lets me know that the build is solid, at least i know when it starts to stop doing that my hinges will be well used lol and may need replaced

no, one makes a crack noise when it moves from set angle to set angle and the new'er ones are silent doing the same thing. i have both... both are 'new'

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
no, one makes a crack noise when it moves from set angle to set angle and the new'er ones are silent doing the same thing. i have both... both are 'new'
yeah thats the sound of the hinges locking in place because if you dont lock the screen in place its really loose below that set angle, if those hingles fail your screen woould flop about lol.

The clicking really just means the connection is strong. Obviously with heavy use it will stop eventually but at least i know its gonna last longer than the none clickers.

My N3DS XL makes it and yes it has an IPS panel, im guessing the IPS models had a better build quality but the cost was more so thats why they are limited.
and yes my should buttons feel fine.

Also my DS Lite makes this clicking noise aswell when at the set angle and its just as load but hey i have had that DS since 2007 and its still looks new sept the spare styluse i chewed out

ThomasRobertWade

Trophies
XP
What the guy above said plus if you have a reg sized n3ds it will be TN. In fact, almost all recently purchased n3ds(XL)s will be TN.

Maybe if he hasn't seen both? I have and the difference is dramatic.
I got my New 3DS in January 2015. Will it be more likely to be TN or IPS?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol