How to tell if a PS2 will work with FMCB

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Mrevilbobguy, Feb 9, 2009.

Feb 9, 2009
  1. Mrevilbobguy
    OP

Newcomer Mrevilbobguy Member

United States
    I'm thinking of buying a PS2 at Circuit City's clearance sale, but I was wondering how to tell which ones are compatible with FMCB. The boxes are exposed, so checking the barcode is not an issue.

Also, Circuit City has both Satin Silver models and the regular slims. The Silver edition is about $15 less than the slim. Anyone got a reason not to pick up the cheaper slim?

Thanks

2. deatharch

Newcomer deatharch Member

United States
    "Note: Not all USB Thumb drives/hard drives/storage devices are compatible with the listed software. Also, on SCPH-7500x and newer, Sony has made changes to the USB hardware/software which can cause inoperability of the listed software with the majority if not all of USB storage devices.

Beware! Sony has created a new BIOS in the SCPH-9000x series PS2 models that negate any OSDSYS update using the DVD player hack. This means that after BIOS revision 230, Playstation 2 units will not work with FMCB!"

http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/

3. Mrevilbobguy
    OP

Newcomer Mrevilbobguy Member

United States
    So any PS2 with a model number under 7500 is ok for sure? None of the other numbers matter then?
    PS2 Barcode

Also, will Satin Silver work ok?

4. deatharch

Newcomer deatharch Member

United States
    I think so. The PS2 in the picture, for example, will not work with FMCB because it's 9000X. If you really want to ask someone who knows something about FMCB go here
    http://psx-scene.com/forums/