Tutorial  Updated

How to sync Retroarch Switch saves with Retroarch Steam Cloud

How to Sync RetroArch Switch with RetroArch Steam Cloud

What will you need?

Basic Steps
  1. Configure Retroarch on your Nintendo Switch and Steam.
  2. Use the same filenames and cores for your games on Steam and Switch to keep cross-saving working.
  3. Take note of your Switch's local IP Adresss so you can have ftp access to it.
  4. Install GoodSync on your PC and create a free acccount to use it.

Configuring GoodSync
Open GoodSync and create a new job. For the job type, choose Synchronize then click OK.

upload_2021-5-23_10-32-44.png

Right click your newly created job then go to the "Options":
upload_2021-5-23_10-33-53.png

On the General tab, make sure the Job Type is "Synchronize 2-Way". Remember to also disable baloon messages to avoid annoyance then the switch is turned off. (You will get a lot of timeout notifications).
upload_2021-5-23_10-34-54.png

On the Auto Tab, make sure to select to auto analyze and sync on file change and periodically (important to the switch side of the sync). You can set the period that suits you better. Personally, I like things fast and I use 1 minute for it.
upload_2021-5-23_10-36-48.png

When you're finished, just save.

Now, let's setup the synced folders.

upload_2021-5-23_10-38-8.png

Click the left one, then select "FTP":
upload_2021-5-23_10-38-33.png

and click to add a new ftp server:
upload_2021-5-23_10-39-4.png

Then insert your Nintendo Switch FTP IP address, credentials and Retroarch Switch save folder. Example:
upload_2021-5-23_10-40-27.png

When you're finished, click to test the connection. If everything is right (and your Switch is not turned off or sleeping) you'll see a connection success popup:
upload_2021-5-23_10-42-36.png

Save it then click on the next folder to set your PC folder.

upload_2021-5-23_10-43-12.png

Navigate to your Retroarch for Steam local folder by right clicking it on your library:
upload_2021-5-23_10-45-0.png

Copy the location of the folder and paste on GoodSync:
upload_2021-5-23_10-46-39.png

Make sure AutoSync and AutoRun are turned ON.

Next, click to Analyze, then click Sync and you're done.

AutoSync should sync your saves between Steam (which will save to the cloud automatically) and your Nintendo Switch automatically from now on.

OPTIONAL:
Go to GoodSync options and set it to start with windows and minimize to tray:
upload_2021-5-23_10-48-33.png

That's it!
The next time you open RetroArch on Steam it will sync your saves to the cloud.
I hope someone can find this tutorial helpful.

Last edited by phalk,

phalk

Handheld Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, that would be harder. I think it would only be possible if a save manager homebrew was made specifically for that, sadly.

Last edited by phalk,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: