Tutorial  Updated

How to switch from SX OS > Atmosphere or Atmosphere > SX OS without payloads

So I was on SX OS but wanted to play the latest Dreamcast emulator Flycast which only works in Atmosphere, so I found a way to switch back and forth through homebrew. I am doing this on latest fw 9.0.1 so it should work on any firmware.

You need
Fusee-STARTER https://github.com/Thomleg50/fusee-starter/releases/
Argon-NX https://github.com/Guillem96/argon-nx/releases
Atmosphere files and patches https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases https://gbatemp.net/threads/i-heard-that-you-guys-need-some-sweet-patches-for-atmosphere.521164/

Put Fusee-STARTER-1.0.1.nro in /switch folder
Put argon folder on root of sd card and argon-nx.bin goes in root of sd card
Put Atmosphere on sd card and the patches go in the same folder and will overwrite some file(won't cover this in detail here as it's covered other places)
Make a copy of your fusee-primary.bin and put in bootloader/payloads
Make a copy of your payload.bin from SX OS on your computer and put it in /argon folder

When you run Fusee-STARTER in homebrew you can now select fusee-primary.bin (or Hekate if you want to chainload) that gets you to Atmosphere from SX OS, if you want to go back just choose Argon-NX in Fusee-STARTER and it will boot SX OS. Done. If docked you can switch back and forth without getting up.

There may be other ways to accomplish this, that's fine. This is just the way I did it and will continue to do it.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for using Fusee-Starter I will update rapidly for 9.0 libnx and new features
keep listen!

Yeah I give you full credit. I just didn't think there was a guide out there that really explained how to properly swap between Atmosphere/SX OS I had to figure it out myself and just figured if I can help someone else it's worth making a guide. Appreciate your product it's great.

Reactions: ninja83

Xellos2099

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question, i managed to swap from sxos to Atmosphere with your method. However, when i tryu going back to sxos with choose Argon-NX i got a freeze.

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is argon-nx.bin on the root of your sd card?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I updated the tuturial to reflect argon-nx.bin goes on root.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why not just use Argon NX? Since when it boots you can click whatever you want to boot?
Argon NX (like any payload) is touchscreen and (therefore) handheld only.
Tbh I haven't checked Hekatebrew yet to see if it has button input but if it had, you won't have to get up when the Switch is docked.

There's this too which definitely does not involve the need of touch input:
https://github.com/suchmememanyskill/Payload_Launcher

Last edited by lordelan,
Reactions: Switch_Maniac

unsteadycarrot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
when i just tried this following the steps in the first post, atmosphere never showed in fusee starter and when i loaded hekate i had to use vol - and + to use the menu, when browsing payloads nothing was there so i had to reset and use my sxos dongle boot it all back up.

*edit* nevermind, i had to download the fusee-primary.bin and put it in the bootloader/payloads folder as well as the argon payload folder.

Last edited by unsteadycarrot,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
By the way I've been using HekateBrew for over a week now and it's indeed the best solution (in my opinion) to achieve this and it definitely does support controller input so you can easily jump between any CFW from your couch while keeping the Switch docked which is awesome and just super easy.

Since it's using the hekate_ipl.ini * just make sure to have everything you want in there.
Simply add payloads to it with the payload keyword like this:
Code:
[SX OS]
payload=bootloader/payloads/SX_OS.bin

[L4T Ubuntu]
payload=l4t-ubuntu/coreboot.rom
(obviously make sure those payloads are in the given folders and named like that)

* you can still launch payloads manually from within the app that are not defined in hekate_ipl.ini though.

Harriszilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way I've been using HekateBrew for over a week now and it's indeed the best solution (in my opinion) to achieve this and it definitely does support controller input so you can easily jump between any CFW from your couch while keeping the Switch docked which is awesome and just super easy.

Since it's using the hekate_ipl.ini * just make sure to have everything you want in there.
Simply add payloads to it with the payload keyword like this:
Code:
[SX OS]
payload=bootloader/payloads/SX_OS.bin

[L4T Ubuntu]
payload=l4t-ubuntu/coreboot.rom
(obviously make sure those payloads are in the given folders and named like that)

* you can still launch payloads manually from within the app that are not defined in hekate_ipl.ini though.

Where would I put my files on my SD card? I'm clueless lol

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...