How to start over? Restoring back to a clean Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bozeefus, Sep 13, 2009.

Sep 13, 2009
  1. bozeefus
    OP

Newcomer bozeefus Member

United States
    Hi there.

I've been following the Wii hacking scene since summer but never got to actually doing anything.

Now, my friend who left for a job in a different country, gave me his Wii. It's been hacked with who knows what. I'll like to start over completely but not sure how to go about doing so.

From what I can tell, he has the following installed:
    -System Menu 4.0

-Backup launcher 0.3g
    -Homebrew channel 1.0.3 IOS 61 v19.26
    -I believe he has CIOS 36_rev10 installed

Coverfloader
    SD/USB loader 1.5-cfg
    USB Loader GX

It is an older Wii that is less than LU64

There is no hard mod. Only software mod
    --------------------------

Now my questions:
    -how do I go about deleting the stuff?
    -is it okay to update to system menu 4.1? or should i stick to 4.0?

I am okay if all saved data gets deleted as long as I can start fresh using the awesome stickies

2. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    What I would do is first run the cIOS rev14 installer and have it use IOS249 and do a network installation (assuming you have wifi). By doing this, you confirm that you had a previous cIOS and update it to the most recent one in the process. Make sure it actually completes and doesn't say like installation returned -1 or something.

Then run dop-IOSv7 and have that update any IOS's that aren't up to date to the most recent IOS's available (don't need to bother with stub IOS's like 30, 50, and 51, unless they are CIOSCORP IOS's, then you can just overwrite them anyways since you're on 4.0 already it shouldn't make a difference.) You can skip patching the sig hash check (trucha bug) in the IOS's, but just do it for IOS36 and IOS60, and patch ES_Identify into IOS36 as well.

Note that if you have preloader installed on the Wii, installing that IOS60 will cause a system menu is corrupt message. If you're not sure if you have preloader installed. Hold down the reset button and turn on the Wii, if you have it, it should boot into the preloader menu. If you do have it, and you install that IOS60 and it gives you a system menu is corrupt message, you will have to hold reset to boot into preloader, load the HBC and then load the preloader 0.29 installer and reinstall it (or if that doesn't work for any reason load the preloader installer directly as a file through preloader) Reinstalling preloader will reapply the patch to IOS60 it needs to properly function and will get rid of that system menu corrupt message.

Once you have all of your IOS's officially up to date with dop-IOS and an up to date cIOS installed, if you want to update to 4.1, you can run Waninkoko's 4.1 updater to do so. Again, if you had preloader installed, doing this would get rid of it, so if you want it back, you have to reinstall it again. If you had any system menu hacks enabled from preloader (or StartPatch), you may want to run NANDClean first to get rid of them before updating.

Then, if you want to delete the channels of those loaders installed, it would be best if you had the wad's that were used to install them, so you can use wad manager 1.4 or 1.5 and have it use IOS249 and uninstall them through that. If you just delete them through the Wii data management, it will still leave their tickets on your Wii. If you don't have the wad's in order to delete the tickets you would need to use AnyTitleDeleter, but you need to make sure you know what you're deleting when using that because you can really fuck shit up by deleting the wrong things there.

If you still want channels for your USB Loaders (if you are going to use them), you should install .dol forwarder channels instead so you can update the .dol files whenever new versions come out instead of having to reinstall new wad's every time. Also that backup launcher 0.3g channel should be replaced by NeoGamma R7 entirely.

If at any point in time the HBC stops working for any reason, try to run bannerbomb with the hackmii installer and reinstall the HBC, and check up on what of bootmii you can install. If you can do a boot2 install and haven't done so already, do so ASAP (before even starting anything else even) and make a NAND backup of your system with it.

Doing all of that should pretty much be enough for you to overwrite anything else that might have been changed so you know what is installed on your Wii and that it is up to date.

3. Yyhhggtt

Member Yyhhggtt GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I think he means that he wants a clean Wii like, if he just bought it, but as a LU64-, and it is SAFE to update to 4.1 through nintendo, but it is not reconmended.... he wants to virginise his wii... not over write the installed stuff...

4. Ilive2frag

Newcomer Ilive2frag Member

Canada
    Personally I wouldn't worry too much about starting from scratch cause it sounds like you have a good base to begin with. It's your wii but you'll probably save yourself a lot of headaches in the end.

5. Yyhhggtt

Canada
    I would want my Wii Virginised, and would to, he can EASIELY put that stuff back on his Wii but there might be other things that he might know what is installed... And might install something else and it might not work proberly because you can't have this installed or that kind of thing... But to Virginise your Wii, just use Anytitle deleter, and uninstall what you want, but dont delete and Wii IOS's, like 60, 30, etc, DONT DELETE ANY!! but if any IOS'es 200+ is installed, that is a cIOS, you could delete those... But NEVER uninstall IOS60... Is preloader or bootmii as boot2 installed? you should insatll either or both and make a NAND back just to be safe...

6. Yyhhggtt

Canada
    Sorry..... PLease delete....

7. Yyhhggtt

Canada
    Please delete...

8. Yyhhggtt

Canada
    Please delete this

9. Yyhhggtt

Canada
    And folo the guides on this place, like on the stickies and remod your Wii their way, so yuo know what you are doind and you know what is installed....

sorry for typepo's... damn keyboard...

woopss!!! sorry for flooding too... gbatemp is slow.... so a clicked lots of times to see if its responding... woops.... sorry....

10. nabster92

United States
    He clearly said he wants to "start fresh" which I feel is a stupid reason to try to completely virginize a Wii. There's no reason to do so as everything will overwrite anything anyways pretty much. Using dop-IOS will install the official latest IOS's over all of the IOS's currently on the system whether they are CIOSCORP'd IOS's or just out of date IOS's. This should be a lot safer to do than any full downgrading/upgrading process without knowing what is on the Wii.

Again it's one thing to want to just completely virginize your Wii and leave it like that (that I still don't believe there is a good reason for) and it's another to want to virginize it so you can "start over". The latter is useless and installing over things as I stated in the post above should be a lot safer and easier of a method than completely virginizing it.

Now if formatting Wii's was actually safe to do on softmodded Wii's and didn't have a chance to brick them or make them unsoftmoddable, maybe that would be an "easier" solution, but it isn't and so what I said above should be your best option if you don't want to leave it as is and actually know what is on your system.

11. idklol

Newcomer idklol Member

United States
    Might I recommend Betwiin?

Get a virgin Wii's NAND backup and copy it to yours using Betwiin. Then the only homebrew you'll have is BootMii, which can be easily uninstalled if you desire.

12. nabster92

United States
    Again, needlessly dangerous thing to be doing if it's not already bricked and he's planning on rehacking it himself anyways. What I told him pretty much should cover anything the other person would have done to the system and will bring it fully up to date with everything all the current guides would have him do anyways.

13. idklol

Newcomer idklol Member

United States
    ... Your point?

14. nabster92

United States
    That you recommended something that could work, but could also potentially brick him harder than anything else can when I already told him everything he could just do from where he is at to accomplish his eventual goal with much safer means to do so?

15. idklol

Newcomer idklol Member

United States
    That's what I thought it was.

16. Aucix

Newcomer Aucix Member

Afghanistan
    Great post, I've been trying to figure out how to start over on a friend's Wii so that I know what has & hasn't been updated/installed etc cause they have no idea. This should save me a lot of time. Only question though, is dop-IOS safe on LU64+?

17. nabster92

United States
    As long as you only install the most recent IOS's with it it should be. You DO need to have a cIOS installed for it to work though or at least the trucha bug in some IOS so that you can use the dop-IOS MOD. (but if you do have the trucha bug you might as well just use it to install a cIOS and use the regular dop-IOS)

He was certain he had a cIOS installed before so I told him to just use IOS249 to update the cIOS there, but otherwise if one isn't installed and you have no trucha bug, you'd have to possibly use the trucha bug restorer as well to get it back and then install the cIOS.

18. shrek02

Newcomer shrek02 Newbie

Singapore
    hi have almost the same settings with the thread starter, and for me I want to clean my Wii and start over. my wii is completely softmod, im using backup launcher 0.3 and installed some wad games and working fine. but I tried installing USB loader by geeko but it doesnt work, since im now lost what cIOS are installed on my Wii I want to start all over again and install them again one by one. hope anyone can help since im now confused of reading so many tutorials.

thanks

19. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    This is how to do it CORRECTLY:

These steps must be followed exactly:

1. Update the Wii through Nintendo (normal update)
    2. When update is complete, format the Wii memory

When it reboots, it will be as if you just took it out of the box. Do NOT format the Wii before performing the Nintendo update however. Done!

20. Digital1980

Member Digital1980 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    and then follow xzxero's guide to FREEDOM!!

correct me if I'm wrong on that.