Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
the sad day has come im going to unstick this thread

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-install-psp-6-61-pro-c-infinity-custom-firmware.468844/

^ check this thread instead for more modern info ^

How To Softmod (Hack) Your PSP

This guide will show you how to softmod your PSP if it has a firmware that's 6.60 or below.

Not sure what you're doing here? I advise you check out this link first!
icon11.gif
PSP hacking/modding F.A.Q. (Start Here!)

What do I need to hack my PSP?
  1. A PSP of the right firmware/model (see the FAQ).
  2. If it's a 1000/2000/3000/E1000, a Memory Stick (the Go has it's own internal storage).
  3. Some way to read the memory stick or internal storage. The PSP itself will connect to the computer through a USB cable with the appropriate ends (generic USB-Mini for the 1000/2000/3000/E1000, and a special one for the Go). If it doesn't automatically connect when you plug it in (there's a setting for that) you can go to the very left-hand menu and there's the USB connection option. Once it's connected the PSP will act as a memory stick reader (or let you access the Go's internal storage).

If you are currently on an older CUSTOM/HACKED firmware...
If you are currently on an older custom firmware (such a 5.x or 3.x) then you might just be able to run an official update and jump right to the hacking steps, but if the PSP gives an error when you try then you will need to flash-install a clean original firmware before you can upgrade to 6.20 or 6.60. This is done via Hellcat's Recovery Flasher and a copy of the original firmware to flash.
  1. Download Hellcat's Recovery Flasher, and add the RECOVERY folder to your PSP's GAME folder.
  2. Download the Official Firmware 5.00 firmware file (search google for this), rename EBOOT.PBP to 500.PBP, and stick it in the root of your memory stick.
  3. Run Hellcat's, and hold L+R+Select while it's loading. When it runs it may warn you if you have GAME plugins enabled, and it will disable them, simply run Hellcat's again.
  4. When it loads, confirm your choice to enter advanced mode.
  5. At the second (garbled) warning, Select I AGREE, now take me to the program!
  6. At the main menu, make sure that Target FW is on 5.00, then go down to /! Install clean ORIGINAL FW (DANGEROUS!!!)
When the process is done you should be on a clean version of 5.00. This will ensure that you can properly upgrade to the latest firmware you want to hack.

A video of the process is located here.

Q - Permanent or temporary hack, what's the difference?
A - The main functional difference is that with the temporary version, you need to run a 4-second or so file to re-hack the PSP after each time you shut it down. Some people may care, others may not.

Q - 6.20 or 6.60, what do I choose?
A - The main difference to be concerned with is the compatibility of the permanent patch.
  • 6.20's permanent patch will work on every PSP model that 6.20 can be installed on.
  • 6.60's permanent patch only works on the 1000 models and earlier 2000 models. If you have a 2000 and you're not sure if it's an early or late model, you can try the permanent patch, and if it tells you it's not supported you can downgrade to 6.20 and use the 6.20 permanent method (or if 6.20 is not supported, stick with the default temporary version).

6.20 PRO (permanent) installation.
If you are not already on Official Firmware 6.20...
  1. Download the 6.20 official firmware for your PSP model (there's one for 1000/2000/3000 series, and one for the Go). You'll have to google for this.
  2. Copy the UPDATE folder to /PSP/GAME/. If the eboot.pbp file is not in a folder named "UPDATE", then re-name (or create) the folder.
  3. Launch the 6.20 update on your PSP, and tell it to update.
Now to install the 6.20 hack!
  1. Download 6.20 PRO (Latest Version).
  2. Copy the folders in there straight onto your PSP's memory stick. If you're asked to merge the folders, say yes.
  3. Run the 6.20 PRO Updater on your PSP and when it runs press X to install and launch the temporary 6.20 hack.
  4. After the PSP restarts, run the 6.20 PRO Permanent Patch.
  5. Press X once to choose to install, then press X again to choose to test it.
  6. If your PSP successfully rebooted after the test then it worked, run the permanent patch again, but this time press X and then Circle to install.

If your PSP did not successfully test, remove your /seplugins/ folder from your memory stick and try again (because not all 5.x plugins work on 6.x).
When you're done, you can delete the files off of your memory stick, since the hack is stored on the PSP itself.

6.60 PRO (temporary or permanent) installation
If you are not yet on 6.60...
  1. Download the 6.60 official firmware for your PSP model (there's one for 1000/2000/3000 series, and one for the Go). You'll have to google for this.
  2. Place the UPDATE folder into /PSP/GAME/ on your memory stick (or the Go's internal storage). If the eboot.pbp file is not in a folder named "UPDATE", then re-name (or create) the folder.
  3. Run the 6.60 update on your PSP and allow it to install.

Now to install the hack!
  1. Download 6.60 PRO (Latest Version)
  2. Copy the folders in there straight onto your PSP's memory stick (or Go's internal storage).. If you're asked to merge the folders, say yes.
  3. Run 6.60 PRO Updater on your PSP, and press X to install.
  4. Your PSP should restart into hacked mode. This will last until your PSP is shut fully off (sleep mode is okay). To hack it again quickly, run the Fast Recovery to get back into 6.60 PRO.
  5. (OPTIONAL) To test or install the 6.60 permanent patch, run the CIPL Flasher on your PSP. Again, remember that this only works on the PSP 1000 and earlier 2000 models.
When you're done, you can delete the update off of your memory stick, since the hack is stored on the PSP itself and you only need to keep the fast recovery to re-activate it when needed.

Downgrading a 6.60 PSP to 6.20
If your PSP is on 6.60 right now but has had 6.20 or less installed at any point in it's life (meaning it's a 07g motherboard line or below) then you can use this to downgrade it to 6.20. If your PSP came with 6.60 installed out of the box then you can still downgrade, but there's potential risks. While workarounds have been found for issues that arise, you should still be careful about doing this if your PSP came with 6.60 out of the box.
  • Download ChronoSwitch Downgrader.
  • Go into the /Chronoswitch_version(x)/ folder in the download, and drag the PSP folder onto your memory stick. If you're asked to merge the folders, say yes.
  • Download the 6.20 official firmware for your PSP model (there's one for 1000/2000/3000 series, and one for the Go). You'll have to google for this.
  • Take the EBOOT.PBP file from the 6.20 firmware and put it in the /PSP/GAME/UPDATE/ folder on your memory stick, creating it if needed. For the Go it needs to be on the internal flash, not the M2 card.
  • Run the Chronoswitch Downgrader on your PSP to start the process, and it will use the official Sony update process to "update" you to 6.20.

Updating PRO to the latest version.
  1. Launch the version of the PRO updater/installer that's currently installed and press Triangle to uninstall it. If you have a permanent patch installed (the 6.60 cIPL patch or the 6.20 vshmain.prx patch) run the installer for that to uninstall too, if needed.
  2. Run the new installer for the latest version of PRO, press X to install.
  3. If you want the permanent patch again, just run it again.

Changelog
11/24/2012 - Changed the guide to point out that we can't host the OFW files anymore and you need to google.
10/30/2012 - Fixed up the formatting due to the forum move.
7/22/2012 - Typo, formatting.
7/4/2012 - Fixed some wording in the 6.20 perm line.
7/3/2012 - Finally added the 6.60 permanent and downgrade methods since it seems the major issues with those were fixed.
6/16/2012 - Fixed 6.20 PRO-C link, fixed the folder names.
6/13/2012 - Changed the PRO links on filetrip since PRO graduated from B to C (and so future updates will be to the C branch). Also clarified some of the beginning wording to note on why the 6.60 patch is not suggested in this newbie guide.
1/25/2012 - Clarified on the UPDATE folder bit.
12/23/2011 - Added mention of the E1000, also removed the 6.x downgrader as it has drawbacks that are bigger than PRO's temp versions, and fixed a bbcode list issue.
8/26/2011 - Added info on the PSP's ability to be it's own memory stick reader.
8/24/2011 - Updated guide to reflect PRO-B9 and it's support of firmware 6.60, switched the temporary path to 6.60 from 6.39. Also added the little bit to help a user decide whether to go permanent or temporary.
8/8/2011 - Cleaned up the 5.x upgrade section and added a video showing that the process works.
7/31/2011 - Updated guide to point to the latest PRO versions, as suggested by Terminator02.
6/27/2011 - Added short snippet about updating currently-installed PRO, as suggested by Arm73.
6/20/2011 - Updated links and guide to PRO-B7.
6/8/2011 - Added note about deleting the files when done.
6/7/2011 - Typo in the subtitle.
5/30/2011 - Changed temporary section to 6.39.
5/29/2011 - Updated for PRO-B6. Since there's a version for 6.39 now, there's no need to downgrade to 6.35 which doesn't give any benefits, so I reduced the downgrading section down to just 6.20.
5/25/2011 - Added PSP Module Checker.
5/25/2011 - Added link to PSP firmware date chart.
5/24/2011 - Updated downgrading step to refer to the three latest 6.x firmwares, since 6.39 is not available via a separate download just yet.
5/24/2011 - Added 6.38 download step.
5/23/2011 - Initial rewrite from prowler_'s to account for 6.38 downgrading (instead of just 6.35), and for people on older custom firmwares.

Last edited by Flame,

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bought my black friday bundle used with 6.38 already installed, probably by the previous owner.
which version do I use?

should I just use the 6.38 to 6.35 to be safe?

Reactions: 1 person

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
You can use either. It'll exit out if you have a 07 or 09G and try to go to 6.20.

By all means start with 6.35 and hope it doesn't work. Then try 6.20.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Black friday was two days after 6.35 came out... but there was also 6.31 and 6.20, so yeah I wouldn't risk it.

Once you can run the 6.35 hack you can see your motherboard info anyways so you can know if you can go down to 6.20.

Posts merged

machomuu said:
Thanks, Rydian. I'll probably ask for a PSP on my birthday (in October) or for Christmas, this'll be helpful
smile.gif
If you get one later it's going to have a later firmware (or even a later motherboard), and is unlikely to be hackable.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
You can use either. It'll exit out if you have a 07 or 09G and try to go to 6.20.

By all means start with 6.35 and hope it doesn't work. Then try 6.20.
QUOTE(Rydian @ May 23 2011, 03:19 PM) Once you can run the 6.35 hack you can see your motherboard info anyways so you can know if you can go down to 6.20.

thanks, I'll try it later tonight when I get home from work.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
machomuu said:
Thanks, Rydian. I'll probably ask for a PSP on my birthday (in October) or for Christmas, this'll be helpful
smile.gif
If you get one later it's going to have a later firmware (or even a later motherboard), and is unlikely to be hackable.
Well I'm shooting for used, I'll see if I can get 6.35-, and if it's not I'll just return it and try again.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Supposedly all PSP Go systems as of right now can be downgraded to 6.20 regardless of what they originally came with, at least according to the person who released the 6.38 downgrader. This doesn't apply to the PSP 3000 series though, just the PSP Go.

mad567

D. Gregar
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Greece
I'm on 5.50 Promitheus-4..And I have to questions.
Should I upgrade on 6.20??
Will my custom themes work on that version?

Sorry if these questions already asked..
Also Raydian thanks for your guides they are very helpful

mad567

D. Gregar
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Greece
QUOTE said:
The 6.x hacks are better for PSP games, but they lack some PSX/PS1 and homebrew/plugin compatibility. Custom themes won't instantly work, you'd need to see if anybody's ported the theme to 6.x.

And you're welcome.

Is there a list for Ps1,plugins and homebrew that work on 6.20 TN..?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ran into a problem
here's what I did

0. I was on 6.38
1. run downgrader
2. got to where it says to update to 6.20(wrong ofw??), that was a problem because I wanted 6.35 so I cancel.
3. went and got ofw 6.35
4. ran downgrader, here's the problem, it says something about mismatch md5 or something like that. than it reset to menu. Can't get past this point.

next, I deleted everything to start over, updated to 6.39
grabed downgrader 3.1 and ofw 6.35...got the same result.

any way to fix my mistake?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
RoMee said:
ran into a problem
here's what I did

0. I was on 6.38
1. run downgrader
2. got to where it says to update to 6.20(wrong ofw??), that was a problem because I wanted 6.35 so I cancel.
3. went and got ofw 6.35
4. ran downgrader, here's the problem, it says something about mismatch md5 or something like that. than it reset to menu. Can't get past this point.

next, I deleted everything to start over, updated to 6.39
grabed downgrader 3.1 and ofw 6.35...got the same result.

any way to fix my mistake?
A mismatched MD5 sum could mean you don't have the right file or that it is corrupted. Maybe try downloading the ofw from a different source?

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just tried a different ofw and same result, that makes 3 different 6.35 ofw all from different source.

is the downgrader correct when it says my psp is a o4g?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
RoMee said:
I just tried a different ofw and same result, that makes 3 different 6.35 ofw all from different source.

is the downgrader correct when it says my psp is a o4g?
If it's a 4g then I think you have to downgrade to 6.20 --could be wrong though. Wouldn't hurt to try it. Then upgrade to 6.35.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over