How to softmod a PS2 with USB?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Westside, May 27, 2007.

May 27, 2007

How to softmod a PS2 with USB? by Westside at 2:07 PM (4,310 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Anyone know or can find a guide to softmodding a PS2 (by which I mean using a HDD to run games without originals) with a USB thumb drive? I know it's possible, I know many people at my school did that before.

2. slaydove

Newcomer slaydove Newbie

United States
  3. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Google 'ps2 mc exploit' for a wealth of links.

Basically, you trick the PS2 into booting from the memory card when you start up with a prticular PS1 game. You can then run a usb loader or whatever from the memory card and load games from the thumb drive.

Just a note though a) you will need a way of getting the apps/files onto a memory card (i.e. friend with modded machine or cheat device). b) the PS2 only has USB 1.1 ports - games take AGES to load!

[​IMG]

4. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    No, what i mean is that instead of using the MC exploit, is there a USB thumb drive exploit? For instance, drag and drop and then mod.

5. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    No. The only alternative to the MC Exploit is to buy an Action Replay Max which allows you to launch elf files stored on a USB drive, you can put the USB HD Loader/Ad elf onto your thumb drive boot that and then boot your iso.

[​IMG]