upbumpo190

OP
Trophies
Website
ethericwarriors.eu
XP
Country
France
I've been struggling and messing around with this for weeks, and finally brewed up my own little thing. The point of this guide is to save you weeks of research and headaches, and allowing you to connect any console/pc in the house through a VPN (yes, you can connect you PS3/Xbox 360 through a VPN!) This is very usefull for people using Netflix in europe/people wanting to use Live in unsupported countries, SSL encryption etc... I get HD streaming in France on my Xbox now!

In this guide I use OpenVPN as an example, but with a little tinkering, you may be able to use the built-in Microsoft VPN (PPTP/IPSEC).

Requirements:

A PC connected to your home LAN + an extra Ethernet adaptor in your PC
A regular Ethernet cable to hook up your PC/Console to
An SSL VPN provider
The OpenVPN program with GUI (link at end of post)
A nice glass of cold water/cup of coffee
Some time

1st Step:

- Install Ethernet adaptor with correct drivers if not already done.
- Install OpenVPN with TAP Virtual Adaptor and make sure you have the correct config files from you VPN provider
- Open up the network connections manager (whether it be XP or Vista, it's all the same)

2nd Step:

- Highlight your LAN connection and 2nd adaptor (the one hooked up to your console), right click on either one (they must both be highlighted for this to work!) and click "Bridge Connections"
- Wait until the pop-up message dissapears, and verify your internet is working normally (you are able to access a web page)
- Right click on the VPN adaptor, click properties, and enable ICS (internet connection sharing), press ok.
- Right click on the new Network Bridge connection that has appeared in the network connections manager, and click properties
- Highlight Internet Protocol v4 and click properties
- Put the correct IP information for you computer (either DHCP/Auto or manually type them in)
- Click Ok

1.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

3rd Step:

- Configure your Console or PC you want to connect, with the following IP's
IP address: Pick one that is valid for your network ex: PC is 192.168.1.20 LAN range is 192.168.1.2-50 then choose 192.168.1.30, just make sure the IP chosen isn't already taken by another device on your LAN.
Mask: Use the same as for your PC - Default is 255.255.255.0
Gateway: Use the IP address of your PC ex: PC 192.168.1.20
Primary DNS: Use the PC's IP
Secondary DNS: Use your router's/internet modem's IP ex: 192.168.1.1

Apply settings

After that, you should be all done! Your console/PC has a direct connection to your router, it's own internal IP on your LAN, you can share media as if it was connected directly to the router, and you can have your OpenVPN connection be used on it as well. All you have to do is connect the openvpn client on your PC, and the console/PC (plus the pc acting as a gateway) that is connected uses the VPN.

Here is a diagram of it all setup:

4.jpg

I hope this helps you out! If you have suggestions for the guide or questions be sure to tell me/ask!

Links:
OpenVPN Setup File

Edit:
I highly recommend using at least a Fast Ethernet connection (100 Mbits), Gigabit if if you can. In order to check you're getting your router's full capacity, in ANY version of Windows, go to device manager, right click on the network adapter (both one used for bridge + one connected to router) and under "Speed and Duplex" check the speed, then verify in connections manager (right click - status). If it is on auto, and you still don't get the full, you can manually input your router's max, (for me - 100 Mbit Full Duplex) it should disable/re-enable (restart) the adapter, and you should notice a speed difference. Any modern router should get at least 100 Mbits.

Reactions: CaptainSodaPop

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for this, when I get around to properly writing up the new FAQ I will link this up. For others reading knowing how to do this sort of thing is fairly essential if you want to go further into computing and especially less than legit circles.
It might be worth expanding on the basics of networking though as I have dealt with many routers using odd ranges (usually VOIP being involved) or subnets.

Also I should mention that this method is essentially what xlink kai (mainly consoles) and/or Hamachi (mainly PC) does and if you plan to do this for a 360 using the local network link option of games then you will need a low ping meaning same town is more or less essential. Blame MS for this one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the...