Tutorial  Updated

How to setup a WEP hotspot on Ubuntu 19.10

So I've been looking around and I haven't seen any tutorials on setting up a WEP hotspot to use for the Nintendo DS connection. So I thought I'll make a little tutorial on how to do it.

So you will need:
  • A PC running Ubuntu (In this tutorial, I'll be using Ubuntu 19.10, but it should work on almost all Ubuntu versions)
  • An Ethernet connection running to the PC
  • A WiFi or USB WiFi dongle (Any USB dongle that supports broadcast mode will be able to be used for broadcasting a WEP hotspot.) (Thanks @PRAGMA for letting me know)
  • A device you want to connect to the WEP hotspot

Instructions:

First, you will need to make sure the hotspot is setup in the connection manager. I'm not sure if this is required but this is what I did.
To do that, open the WiFi settings and enable the hotspot.

1.png 2.png 3_real.png 3.png

Next, you need to turn the hotspot off and disable WiFi. You can do that by clicking the slider in the top of the window.

4.png

Ok, now open a new terminal with Ctrl + Alt+ T
Next, type
Code:
nm-connection-editor
and press enter.
It should bring up this window

5.png

From here, you can see the different connection setups you have. Double click the one called "Hotspot"
A new windows should open. From here, you can change the name of the WiFi hotspot, the password, and the security type.

6.png

Go ahead and change the WiFi name to whatever you want. Or you can leave it alone. It's up to you. Click on the "W-iFi Security" tab.
Next you want to change the Security to one of the two WEP types. The WEP 128-bit passphrase allows you to make a normal password. For example "password".
The WEP 40/128-bit key (Hex or ASCII) allows you to make a Hex or ASCII passkey. For example "12FA3"

7.png

Finally, make sure to click save and close the program. Next you need to go back and enable the WiFi again. And finally, turn the WiFi hotspot back on. You should see that it is now a WEP hotspot with the new password you made. Enjoy!

real7.png

EDIT: Don't mind the time changes in the screenshots. I missed a few steps along the way and had to go back and take screenshots lol.

Last edited by MrMcTiller,
D

Deleted member 513667

Nvm, @malekmaroc7 here's my tutorial.

1. Go and download Rufus
2. Go and download the Ubuntu Image
3. Plug in you USB drive
4. Open Rufus.
5. Put Device as your usb drive, and boot selection to the ubuntu image that we dowloaded
6. Press start, and once its done, turn off your computer.
You have Ubuntu on your usb, BUT to boot...
1.While your usb is plugged in, turn on your computer.
2. Usually, there are a bunch of key combos that you can do before OS starts, find the one called Boot options (IF YOU DONT HAVE THE OPTION GOOGLE "How to boot from usb")
3.Select boot from usb or removable drive.

You should now be in Ubuntu. Press "try ubuntu" so that you can fully use ubuntu without it touching windows 10.

Done.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: malekmaroc7

malekmaroc7

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
WSL will probably work for this after the next big feature update, since WSL2 will be coming out, with a full, native Linux kernel.
That are great news!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nvm, @malekmaroc7 here's my tutorial.

1. Go and download Rufus
2. Go and download the Ubuntu Image
3. Plug in you USB drive
4. Open Rufus.
5. Put Device as your usb drive, and boot selection to the ubuntu image that we dowloaded
6. Press start, and once its done, turn off your computer.
You have Ubuntu on your usb, BUT to boot...
1.While your usb is plugged in, turn on your computer.
2. Usually, there are a bunch of key combos that you can do before OS starts, find the one called Boot options (IF YOU DONT HAVE THE OPTION GOOGLE "How to boot from usb")
3.Select boot from usb or removable drive.

You should now be in Ubuntu. Press "try ubuntu" so that you can fully use ubuntu without it touching windows 10.

Done.
Thank you much!! I will try that out today!

Reactions: banjo2

malekmaroc7

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
@PipeWarp
So,.. I installed Ubuntu on my USB and it boots almost perfectly (sometimes it hangs that I need to restart it again), but there is a small problem: Ubuntu doesn't find any Wireless Networks (seems that it doesn't recognize the WiFi module). Do you have a solution?

D

Deleted member 513667

@PipeWarp
So,.. I installed Ubuntu on my USB and it boots almost perfectly (sometimes it hangs that I need to restart it again), but there is a small problem: Ubuntu doesn't find any Wireless Networks (seems that it doesn't recognize the WiFi module). Do you have a solution?

Option A: Google is your friend, google your problems/make a post on askbuntu.com to fix it.

Option B: Install Ubuntu alongside Win10

You can install Ubuntu alongside windows in the installer BUT apparently that might not work in the installer
See this guide for reference and what to do
In case something goes wrong, grab another USB drive and download this. Run it, it will detect the drive, and install the windows 10 media creation tool.
' Its safe, but if you in any doubt, use the "Something else option" on the installer ' - Person who replied to the thread linked.
If your computer somehow messes up, i take no responsibility. In the event that it does:
Plug in the other usb that i mentioned (the one with the windows tool) and when presented with the install option, press in the corner "repair" "troubleshoot" or something like that.
You can use options like Pc wont start and it will scan the HDD and fix it. If it says nothing found, try restarting it, it may have already got it as this has happened with me before.

If all else fails, reinstall windows 10
Note: If you’ve already successful activated Windows 10 on the PC, including if you upgraded by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer you won't need to enter a Windows 10 product key. You can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will automatically activate later.
(from this forum in the comments)

Good Luck!

Last edited by ,
Reactions: malekmaroc7

Senadistik

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Anyone know if this works with the TPLink TL-WN725N dongle? I've tried setting up the hotspot on ubuntu, but when trying to start the hotspot, it gives back a connection failure after 30 seconds. Does anyone have experience with the same dongle or could anyone tell me if it is maybe incompatible for setting up a hotspot?

Reactions: MrMcTiller

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know if this works with the TPLink TL-WN725N dongle? I've tried setting up the hotspot on ubuntu, but when trying to start the hotspot, it gives back a connection failure after 30 seconds. Does anyone have experience with the same dongle or could anyone tell me if it is maybe incompatible for setting up a hotspot?
Honestly, I have no idea. You did all of the steps correctly?

Senadistik

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, only unusual thing I do is have Ubuntu installed in dual-boot alongside Windows 10, although they are on seperate hard drives. I'm starting to think maybe the dongle doesn't support "broadcast mode", as you described in your post?

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, only unusual thing I do is have Ubuntu installed in dual-boot alongside Windows 10, although they are on seperate hard drives. I'm starting to think maybe the dongle doesn't support "broadcast mode", as you described in your post?
Are you trying to use the dongle for only broadcast mode? Or are you using it to connect to WiFi as well?

Senadistik

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are you trying to use the dongle for only broadcast mode? Or are you using it to connect to WiFi as well?
I have an ethernet connection, so when I try to start the hotspot, it should use that. The WiFi gets disabled automatically. Outside of that I don't use WiFi anyways. I've also attached a video showing the error message.

Edit: I just realized I filmed it in canvas mode, sorry lol

Last edited by Senadistik,

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty! Thank you for replying!
This is natively supported on Windows 10 now without additional software, BUT you can only create a WPA2 hotspot so for our purposes of connecting legacy hardware that doesn't support that protocol, it's still kind of useless. When configured, it looks something like this in your Windows 10 settings app.

EfiRUGF.png

malekmaroc7

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
This is natively supported on Windows 10 now without additional software, BUT you can only create a WPA2 hotspot so for our purposes of connecting legacy hardware that doesn't support that protocol, it's still kind of useless. When configured, it looks something like this in your Windows 10 settings app.

EfiRUGF.png
Well, I already know that. I solved the issue by buying a cheap Wi-Fi router
Thanks for the information!

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

J0nSn0wsGh0st

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question for anyone who can help with this (note : I have already tried asking on the discord server, but I have not found a solution). I followed all the steps in this tutorial, and everything works great (thank you for that). I can run Ubuntu from my laptop, and I can put out the hotspot as WEP just fine. My 3DS connects to the internet in the system settings, but I cannot connect Pokémon HeartGold to the WFC. I’ve tried both of the DNS settings that support GTS usage (that’s what I’m trying to use), but to no avail. Ubuntu runs perfectly fine, the hotspot works (I’ve connected my iPhone to it as well and it works fine when I do), but I always get wrote code 20110. Anyone else run into this issue?

Also note : I understand that for Gen 4 Pokémon games that the Nintendo WFC settings are to be done in-game and not in the system settings. I have done this but I continuously get error 20110. Again, any help would be great

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a question for anyone who can help with this (note : I have already tried asking on the discord server, but I have not found a solution). I followed all the steps in this tutorial, and everything works great (thank you for that). I can run Ubuntu from my laptop, and I can put out the hotspot as WEP just fine. My 3DS connects to the internet in the system settings, but I cannot connect Pokémon HeartGold to the WFC. I’ve tried both of the DNS settings that support GTS usage (that’s what I’m trying to use), but to no avail. Ubuntu runs perfectly fine, the hotspot works (I’ve connected my iPhone to it as well and it works fine when I do), but I always get wrote code 20110. Anyone else run into this issue?

Also note : I understand that for Gen 4 Pokémon games that the Nintendo WFC settings are to be done in-game and not in the system settings. I have done this but I continuously get error 20110. Again, any help would be great
If you are using a ROM, try patching it

malekmaroc7

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
You might use the wrong DNS. Do you use this one: 164.132.44.106 ? Do you run any Action Replay Code to connect to Wiimmfi? (Probably not). Do you experience the same issue maybe on other DS games as well?

Last edited by malekmaroc7,

DoctorDinkleDong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I wanted to try out this method but unfortunately the adapter I got doesn't support broadcasting or ap mode. Is there a way to tell ahead if an adapter will have what I need, or does anyone have any recommendations on adapters that they know that supports broadcasting mode?

xafor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been looking around and I haven't seen any tutorials on setting up a WEP hotspot to use for the Nintendo DS connection. So I thought I'll make a little tutorial on how to do it.

So you will need:
  • A PC running Ubuntu (In this tutorial, I'll be using Ubuntu 19.10, but it should work on almost all Ubuntu versions)
  • An Ethernet connection running to the PC
  • A WiFi or USB WiFi dongle (Any USB dongle that supports broadcast mode will be able to be used for broadcasting a WEP hotspot.) (Thanks @PRAGMA for letting me know)
  • A device you want to connect to the WEP hotspot

Instructions:

First, you will need to make sure the hotspot is setup in the connection manager. I'm not sure if this is required but this is what I did.
To do that, open the WiFi settings and enable the hotspot.

View attachment 197559 View attachment 197560 View attachment 197561 View attachment 197562

Next, you need to turn the hotspot off and disable WiFi. You can do that by clicking the slider in the top of the window.

View attachment 197563

Ok, now open a new terminal with Ctrl + Alt+ T
Next, type
Code:
nm-connection-editor
and press enter.
It should bring up this window

View attachment 197564

From here, you can see the different connection setups you have. Double click the one called "Hotspot"
A new windows should open. From here, you can change the name of the WiFi hotspot, the password, and the security type.

View attachment 197565

Go ahead and change the WiFi name to whatever you want. Or you can leave it alone. It's up to you. Click on the "W-iFi Security" tab.
Next you want to change the Security to one of the two WEP types. The WEP 128-bit passphrase allows you to make a normal password. For example "password".
The WEP 40/128-bit key (Hex or ASCII) allows you to make a Hex or ASCII passkey. For example "12FA3"

View attachment 197566

Finally, make sure to click save and close the program. Next you need to go back and enable the WiFi again. And finally, turn the WiFi hotspot back on. You should see that it is now a WEP hotspot with the new password you made. Enjoy!

View attachment 197567

EDIT: Don't mind the time changes in the screenshots. I missed a few steps along the way and had to go back and take screenshots lol.
will this all work on a virtual box from a windows 10 computer?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.