Tutorial  Updated

How to setup a WEP hotspot on Ubuntu 19.10

So I've been looking around and I haven't seen any tutorials on setting up a WEP hotspot to use for the Nintendo DS connection. So I thought I'll make a little tutorial on how to do it.

So you will need:
  • A PC running Ubuntu (In this tutorial, I'll be using Ubuntu 19.10, but it should work on almost all Ubuntu versions)
  • An Ethernet connection running to the PC
  • A WiFi or USB WiFi dongle (Any USB dongle that supports broadcast mode will be able to be used for broadcasting a WEP hotspot.) (Thanks @PRAGMA for letting me know)
  • A device you want to connect to the WEP hotspot

Instructions:

First, you will need to make sure the hotspot is setup in the connection manager. I'm not sure if this is required but this is what I did.
To do that, open the WiFi settings and enable the hotspot.

1.png 2.png 3_real.png 3.png

Next, you need to turn the hotspot off and disable WiFi. You can do that by clicking the slider in the top of the window.

4.png

Ok, now open a new terminal with Ctrl + Alt+ T
Next, type
Code:
nm-connection-editor
and press enter.
It should bring up this window

5.png

From here, you can see the different connection setups you have. Double click the one called "Hotspot"
A new windows should open. From here, you can change the name of the WiFi hotspot, the password, and the security type.

6.png

Go ahead and change the WiFi name to whatever you want. Or you can leave it alone. It's up to you. Click on the "W-iFi Security" tab.
Next you want to change the Security to one of the two WEP types. The WEP 128-bit passphrase allows you to make a normal password. For example "password".
The WEP 40/128-bit key (Hex or ASCII) allows you to make a Hex or ASCII passkey. For example "12FA3"

7.png

Finally, make sure to click save and close the program. Next you need to go back and enable the WiFi again. And finally, turn the WiFi hotspot back on. You should see that it is now a WEP hotspot with the new password you made. Enjoy!

real7.png

EDIT: Don't mind the time changes in the screenshots. I missed a few steps along the way and had to go back and take screenshots lol.

Last edited by MrMcTiller,

abilaunken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
why bother with it since theres no one online .. i change de dns and find no one at mario kart , jump ultimate , tetris or anny game anymore. So sad...

Reactions: MrMcTiller

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
why bother with it since theres no one online .. i change de dns and find no one at mario kart , jump ultimate , tetris or anny game anymore. So sad...
For DS games, you usually have to set up scheduled times/arranged sessions, there are several Discord servers surrounding this idea for multiple games.

Reactions: MrMcTiller

malekmaroc7

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Actually I'm trying to use "Windows Subsystem Linux" Feature to use the Ubuntu Command line

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If that fails I may try the VM Thing but tomorrow then

D

Deleted member 513667

Actually I'm trying to use "Windows Subsystem Linux" Feature to use the Ubuntu Command line

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If that fails I may try the VM Thing but tomorrow then
Probably will fail, a subsystem will not be enough.
I recommend flashing ubuntu to a usb, then running it on your pc/laptop.

Reactions: malekmaroc7

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1