Hacking How to set Wii in JP mode for JP GC game with gibberish text

comokepa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I tried Homeland for Gamecube (original game disc) on my softmodded European Wii, but all text comes out as gibberish. From what I read, there were a few Japanese games that have this problem, and that happened also on the GC itself, when booted with a Freeloader, due to the game using fonts from the GC bios itself, but the GC not having access to Japanese fonts when its region was set to US/Europe.

Is there something (non-permanent) that I can do to my Wii so that that game disc displays texts in Japanese fine? If there is no way to play the original game with Japanese fonts, is there a way to patch an ISO of it so that it works fine and play that instead with DIOS MIOS?

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about booting with a real game disc. There was a Wii app like Riivolution (from the same developers?) early on in the Wii's life that supported various disc patches. I don't know if region patching was one of them.

Perhaps one of the GC disc loaders (normally designed for burned games) can launch a legit game? If so, I bet those have patch support.

DIOS MIOS definitely supports patched regions; the ISO does not need to be changed. Just set "language" to Japanese rather than Wii default.

comokepa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Loading the disc through WiiFlow opens the game with Japanese alphabet just fine, no need for changing any settings.

I installed Wiiflow as described in <https://sites.google.com/site/wiiflowiki4/installing-wiiflow>. Prior to that I had already hacked the Wii v.4.3E using LetterBomb, and installed Hombrew and BootMii, in case someone else stumbles onto the problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended