How to set Wii in JP mode for JP GC game with gibberish text

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by comokepa, Jun 21, 2013.

1. comokepa
    OP

comokepa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2013
    Hi,

I tried Homeland for Gamecube (original game disc) on my softmodded European Wii, but all text comes out as gibberish. From what I read, there were a few Japanese games that have this problem, and that happened also on the GC itself, when booted with a Freeloader, due to the game using fonts from the GC bios itself, but the GC not having access to Japanese fonts when its region was set to US/Europe.

Is there something (non-permanent) that I can do to my Wii so that that game disc displays texts in Japanese fine? If there is no way to play the original game with Japanese fonts, is there a way to patch an ISO of it so that it works fine and play that instead with DIOS MIOS?

2. W hat

W hat Rhythm Heaven Fan

Feb 28, 2007
    United States
    I don't know about booting with a real game disc. There was a Wii app like Riivolution (from the same developers?) early on in the Wii's life that supported various disc patches. I don't know if region patching was one of them.

Perhaps one of the GC disc loaders (normally designed for burned games) can launch a legit game? If so, I bet those have patch support.

DIOS MIOS definitely supports patched regions; the ISO does not need to be changed. Just set "language" to Japanese rather than Wii default.

3. comokepa
    OP

comokepa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2013
    Loading the disc through WiiFlow opens the game with Japanese alphabet just fine, no need for changing any settings.

I installed Wiiflow as described in <https://sites.google.com/site/wiiflowiki4/installing-wiiflow>. Prior to that I had already hacked the Wii v.4.3E using LetterBomb, and installed Hombrew and BootMii, in case someone else stumbles onto the problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice