How to set up hard drive for launching both GC and Wii backups (for use w/ CFG Loader)

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by hvsep, Jul 14, 2015.

1. hvsep
    OP

hvsep GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Hello all, forgive me for the really noobish question but I haven't touched my Wii in a long while until today. My old hard drive with backups broke a few years ago and I'm looking into getting a new one real soon to get back into my Wii. I was wondering how I should be setting up a hard drive (preferably using only a single partition) to launch Wii and GC iso's.

I downloaded CFG loader v70r78 which comes with Nintendont/Dios Mios support. Are there any special instructions for using either of those (I read that Nintendont > Dios Mios but I'd still like to hear what you guys think)?

By set up I I mean what format should the partition be and if I would be able to have two separate folders for "Wii" and "Gamecube" iso's on the root of the hard drive (I'm kind of OCD about that stuff).

I've also done a syscheck and used Modmii to see if everything is up to date and the only WADs it was telling me to install were 2 d2x v8 final cios's, if that matters at all.

Syscheck below:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    format it to fat32
    use wiibackup manager to copy the wii games
    use dios mios tool for the gamecube games
    both will stay on their folders

3. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Format the entire drive fat32

Put wii games in /wbfs/gamename/xxxx.wbfs

put gamecube games in /games/gamename/game.iso

If you need to split larger wii games, do it with wii backup manager

You can download Nintendont in the first link in my signature too.

4. hvsep
    OP

hvsep GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Thanks for the fast response :)

Do the wii games need to be converted to wbfs, because I think I recall using .iso before with CFG loader and it used to work fine. I just don't remember if I was able to have the iso's anywhere I want on the hard drive. My memory might be crappy though...

And do I need to have Nintendont on my sd card if the USB loader has a plugin for it? I thought having it on the sd card was to launch GC backups directly from Nintendont without using a different loader.

5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    wiibackup manager does that automatically

6. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    To use .iso format then your drive has to be formatted as wbfs. This is old and outdated

You can convert iso to wbfs in wiibackup manager too.

Nintendont is a stand alone application like cfg usb loader. You can launch the gamecube game through cfg usb loader and it will forward it to Nintendont!

7. hvsep
    OP

hvsep GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Okay, thanks everyone :) I'll give it a go once I get a hard drive and I'll post here in case something goes wrong