How to set up emunand on 11.2?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by tunip3, Nov 24, 2016.

1. tunip3
    OP

tunip3 [debugger active]

Oct 31, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Is it possible to set up an emunand on 11.2 and if so how do you do it

2. HuskyXD

HuskyXD Banned

Banned
    Nov 5, 2016
    Canada
    scionae, Zidapi, Kloklopfer and 2 others like this.
  3. Giodude

Giodude GBAtemp's official rock

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    You either need a second 3ds that's already modded or a hardmod. Also emunands are useless now, as everything can be done on sysnand now.

4. x3YukiLuix

x3YukiLuix Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2016
    Malaysia
    you sure emunand is useless? once you brick in sysnand... you need hardmod to fix it... this is the guide... and why ppl want to install emunand even they have sysnand
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-a-noobnands-guide-to-sysnand-and-emunand.410439/

Last edited by x3YukiLuix, Jan 6, 2017
  5. Giodude

Giodude GBAtemp's official rock

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Thats what i thought at first too, but tgen i realised that firm0 and firm1 write protection are on, meaning any way you could possibly brick would be restorable via a9lh. That's why they call it brick proof. There are only 2 ways to brick with a9lh, and that's updating a9lh and using somebody else's otp, or an mcu brick, which whether sysnand or emunand will nrick the console beyond a hardmod.

6. zac122

zac122 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    Emunand is currently a waste of time and SD space because we have a9lh which is a persistent hack that runs before most everything else. Which means that you can restore a nand backup before the bricked system loads up. The only reason we used Emunand to begin with is to avoid breaking sysnand which used to require a hardmod to restore every time. AFAIK right now the only thing that a9lh can't restore from is a corrupt bootrom(somebody correct me on that since I'm sure I'm missing something), without the need for the space wasting Emunand partition.

slaphappygamer likes this.
  7. Roomsaver

Roomsaver GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    Theoretically an MCU brick is avoidable by using a noscreeninit fork of A9LH and using a special payload to revert the firmware back to a previously not-bricked version, although there's no demand for such an app and therefore no supply.

8. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    useless . . . bypassing the game limit anyone . . .?

9. zac122

zac122 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    Do you really need more than 300 games? I struggle to believe someone could play that many actively on more than one system much less just a 3ds...

10. chaojimbo

chaojimbo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    California
    Be sure the check the dates of the threads as things are constantly changing and being outdated. You bumped a post from months ago. A9LH replaced EmuNAND.

11. x3YukiLuix

x3YukiLuix Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2016
    Malaysia
    because there is not much thread explain how those thing work on web... that's why i post the threads to confirm what i found is it right or wrong...

12. Roomsaver

Roomsaver GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    Necrobumping is against the rules.

chaojimbo likes this.
  13. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    Besides the slight necro bump, defending the concept of 'emuNAND' on gbatemp is akin to pissing into the wind. There's no point in even trying to convince these people that a whole extra layer of protection for the sacrifice of 1.8 gigs is a good idea.

MUH 1.8 gigabytes.

MUH updated sysNAND.

14. zac122

zac122 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    That's 1.8GB of redundancy not extra protection. If it makes you feel better then go right ahead and use an emunand, but it just isn't worth it imo.

Edit: it's worth pointing out that there's no reason to make fun of those who don't want to waste that space just because you do.

15. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    Yeah i agree 100%, each to there own of course. I actually don't use emuNAND either and it certainly doesn't keep me awake at night knowing others may use it. However, I just feel the need to even up the discussions by pointing out that aside from losing a staggering 2% of your SD cards capacity over 64 gigabytes for example, there isn't actually any notable disadvantages to running an emuNAND, from there the OP can make their own decision :)

16. GilgameshArcher

GilgameshArcher GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 1, 2012
    Brazil
    São Paulo