How to (safely) install viruses on your PC (aka using a VM) ((NOOB GUIDE))

Discussion in 'Computer Tutorials' started by ChaoticCinnabon, May 13, 2018.

1. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    I suggest NO ONE uses this guide for this. This guide haven't taken account for the network being on, so you could infect yourself and your network with a worm. Not only that but no one should really relate to Virtualbox when it comes to this kind of things. VMPlayer is much more secure if you wanna play around. Mind you, use another OS if you REALLY wanna do this. Linux is a lot harder to infect than a Windows machine.

And another thing, don't use Windows XP to "research a virus". It's too old to look at the new baddies.

2. DBlaze

DBlaze I don't know what i'm doing.

Nov 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    Points on why not to do this even to tests viruses are already pointed out.

If you really want to test it completely and "safely", you'd have to find a way to isolate (as in, its complete own network environment with nothing else connected to it) an actual (old) computer you have available to abuse and are willing to possibly toss out the window.
    And even then you'd have to be very careful.

@linuxares he was merely pointing out instructions you have to do in case you want to install xp, he's saying to use xp
    edit: oh nvm, it's actual installation of xp.
    No idea why anyone would do that

Last edited by DBlaze, May 14, 2018
  3. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Ay, I know. I read it.

4. uiaad

uiaad One smug guinea pig

Dec 23, 2008
    United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
    Point is these days there are plenty of youtubers testing viruses these days so you don't have to. And to be honest, when it comes virus payloads these days no one has any style any more it's all send me bitcoin crap ( other than the ones that make you play pubg or achieve a certain score in a certain game to get your files back these have been popular over the last couple of months ) There used to be some flair in older viruses but that is mostly gone these days baring the odd one.

5. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    Nintendo works for my dad
    I... don't really see the practical use for this tutorial. Is this only to grab +10 XP?
    There is no need for a regular user to ever purposely run a virus. This is something only professional security researchers should ever do.

Security researchers taking a - sorry for the term - half assed tutorial from a gaming site? 5/7, would trust that researcher again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice