How to run Windows 3.1.1 on SWITCH

Hello so i was able to get Windows 3.1.1 to run on Lakka OS here is a guide.
NOTICE:ME NOR THE LAKKA TEAM ARE RESPONSIBLE IF THE CONSOLE IS BRICKED IT SHOULDN'T BUT WHEN MESSING WITH LINUX (LAKKA) IT CAN HAPPEN
AND THIS HAS A WELL RIGHT TO EXIST BECAUSE THIS LINKS TO NO ILLEGAL FILES.

1.Install Lakka! You can get the install guide at https://lakka-switch.github.io/documentation/installation.html
2.Download DOSBOX to your computer. You need to do this so you can install windows 3.1.1 to a folder. https://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1
3.Download Windows 3.1.1 or use a CD to install. I can not link to any install files but make sure they are unpacked.
4.type the following commands into dosbox after placing the extracted windows installer to a folder
5. Let's mount our folder as a fake drive! Type the command "mount C C:\win311" or if you have for say a drive letter E do "mount E E:\win311" this will allow you to use that as a drive.
6.After that has been done type the following command "E:" or if you have a C drive "C:" etc.
7.So you wanna get into the installer so if you put it in another directory you are going to want to type the following command "cd replaceme" of course instead of replaceme you wanna put the directory of the installer files.
8.Once you are in the installer files directory type the following command "setup" yep! Thats just setup not setup.exe or setup.com just type setup.
9.install like normal
10.copy the whole virtual fake drive folder if you are following this guide it should be a folder named "win311" copy that to the directory "sdmc:/Lakka/Storage/" This is because Lakka will not read the "win.com" if its on the root of the sd card.
11.Insert the sd card and launch lakka!
12.Goto "Load Content > / > storage > win311 > WINDOWS > WIN.com"
13. Select win.com and load it with "DOS (DOSBox - SVN)" that is the one i find the most success with.
14. Don't be sad that it won't load!! You need to do an extra trick.
15.Wait at most 30 seconds on the black screen then tap the home button
16.Select "Restart"
17.If that does not work try again this can take a few tries.
18. Make sure after restarting you wait up to 30 seconds.
19.You won't have any apps this is because the file system is messed up for windows 3.1.1 i am working on fixing this

Thank you
-Midstor
oh yeah i have not tried but i assume mouses and keyboards work. Touchscreen works as a mouse.

midstor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to use the new RetroArch for Switch instead of Lakka. They have the DOSBOX core working for that as well, I imagine everything would probably work the same.

I'm going to have to play around a little bit with this. Most of my experience with DOSBOX is on a PC, and I know that at least on a PC you can use a virtual drive image instead of a "virtual fake drive folder." If your image file is formatted with FAT16 I think the file system should work fine.
Yeah i tried that but i didn't go too far into it because i didn't have enough time i will try that

midstor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to use the new RetroArch for Switch instead of Lakka. They have the DOSBOX core working for that as well, I imagine everything would probably work the same.

I'm going to have to play around a little bit with this. Most of my experience with DOSBOX is on a PC, and I know that at least on a PC you can use a virtual drive image instead of a "virtual fake drive folder." If your image file is formatted with FAT16 I think the file system should work fine.
Can confirm that it does work if you use Retroarch

Reactions: lordelan

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ah yes, did a bit of reading. You should be able to make a dosbox .conf file that uses the commands imgmount and boot to use a image file instead. This should get the file system working in Windows 3.1 if you use FAT16 for the image.

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/IMGMOUNT#Loading_a_bootable_hard_disk_image

Ah yes, did a bit of reading. You should be able to make a dosbox .conf file that uses the commands imgmount and boot to use a image file instead. This should get the file system working in Windows 3.1 if you use FAT16 for the image.

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/IMGMOUNT#Loading_a_bootable_hard_disk_image

Hambrew

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it working on my RPi, but with an entirely different method:
1: Dump or Download Windows 3.1 disk images
2: Extract the .img(s) that come with the disk images
3: Put the extracted disk images in a folder
4: Run DOSBOX
5a:
mount c sdmc:/(dos folder)
5b: c:
5c: cd (windows 3.1 install folder)
5d: setup
6: PROFIT
This should work with the switch if you have a USB keyboard and mouse handy to plug into the Dock.
I don't know, but I think it also applies to Windows 95 or 98 or something. I'll check later.

Last edited by Hambrew,

jrobertdobson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ran 98SE on a Rpi3 before and a few android phones, using Dosbox. Have not modded my switch so no help there, but DB can run it. Have fun setting up networking and stuff....

Edit: Also have an XP image, that i will try on Db, currently run it with limbo on android so dunno...

Last edited by jrobertdobson,

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
giphy.gif

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know how to bring up a keyboard in dosbox? esp when I ran a game exe?

Nevermind, I had to find my old keyboard and plug it in my switch dock.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BakerMan, his partner is Luke