ROM Hack RELEASE How to run Sonic Mania mods for PC on Switch

Knucklesfan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys! So recently I figured out how to run mods from PC for Sonic Mania on Switch! It's a quite simple process.
  • Step 1.
Download any mod for Sonic mania, it doesn't matter, as long as it doesn't replace any .exe files or anything of that sort. (I don't believe a mod currently exists along those lines, so you should be good.)
  • Step 2.
Next, go to your Sonic Mania folder, typically installed to
Code:
 C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sonic Mania
if installed via steam.
Or, if you dumped mania, the same file should be in romfs.
Now, there is one file in this directory that you actually care about, and this file is "Data.rsdk" this file contains all data information for Sonic Mania. Copy that to a safe place (i.e your desktop)
  • Step 3
Next, go and download RsdkPack.exe (included as an attachment). Place this in the same folder as Data.rsdk. Next, open a windows terminal by pressing shift and right clicking and picking "Open powershell window here"
Once you have this window opened run this command.
Code:
 ./RsdkPack.exe Data.rsdk Path/to/your/folder/with/Data
Make sure that you make the path have one more directory to it. So say this is your directory structure: C:/Users/Bob/Desktop/RsdkPack/, add Data to the end, making this: C:/Users/Bob/Desktop/RsdkPack/Data/
  • Step 4
Now, copy all the files inside of your Data folder from your mod into the Data folder inside of the Data folder. (Confusing, i know.)
Now you are ready to compile. Now run this command.
Code:
 ./RsdkPack.exe Path/to/your/folder/with/Data Data.rsdk
  • Step 5
Now you are ready for LayerFS. If you haven't set up LayerFS, I won't teach you here, but there's plenty of other tutorials on GBATemp. Now, create a folder inside of Atmosphere/Titles/ named 01009AA000FAA000 and then create a folder called "romfs". Copy the file Data.rsdk (if the tool worked, just copy the same file you started with into the romfs folder.)
  • Step 6
Boot into Hekate with LayerFS and enjoy!

Attachments

• RsdkPack.zip
    14.5 KB · Views: 813

Knucklesfan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And to stop the "where's the proof" train, here's the proof mate.
IMG_20180618_174853008.jpg

Here's more proof from someone who isn't me.
https://twitter.com/_Mizumi/status/1008893974466187264
I'll update as more proof comes out

Last edited by Knucklesfan,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mm, while I'm inclined to believe you, that could be faked via screenshot generator, login browser, etc.

Knucklesfan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mm, while I'm inclined to believe you, that could be faked via screenshot generator, login browser, etc.
It's not fake, try it for yourself, it works. I can record a video if nothing else. Also, if you Google "Sonic Mania romfs structure nintendo switch" you will see that the romfs structure set up in this video is identical to the one from the original. If you are still skeptical, try it yourself, it'll work.

Reactions: DarthDub

RetroGamer732

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My problem is I boot up the game, press any button to continue, and then the game says "Select a track", I press okay and the game crashes. I'm using the RSDK that I extracted from the Switch version, but I doubt that matters.

Knucklesfan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My problem is I boot up the game, press any button to continue, and then the game says "Select a track", I press okay and the game crashes. I'm using the RSDK that I extracted from the Switch version, but I doubt that matters.
2 questions: Firstly, is the version of the game you are running the latest? Second, What mod are you trying to run? If it does serious changes to the game (assembly changes, etc.) it more than likely won't work unless you want to go in and change the exfs.

RetroGamer732

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 questions: Firstly, is the version of the game you are running the latest? Second, What mod are you trying to run? If it does serious changes to the game (assembly changes, etc.) it more than likely won't work unless you want to go in and change the exfs.
1.) Just remembered that it's version 1.0 files, have to figure out how to extract my update now lol.
2.) It was just Shadow over Sonic, should've been fine as all files were in the data directory.

Knucklesfan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.) Just remembered that it's version 1.0 files, have to figure out how to extract my update now lol.
2.) It was just Shadow over Sonic, should've been fine as all files were in the data directory.
I would recommend using a PC dump, it's much easier to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol