How to run save patch from http://bubbz.pocketheav

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by surfer1966, Jun 19, 2006.

1. surfer1966
    OP

Newcomer surfer1966 Newbie

United States
    I have a GBA with Supercard and I have a save problem with Pokemon Firered and Emerald. I was told to run a patch from http://bubbz.pocketheaven.com/?system=gba&section=patch

Can someone give me instructions on how to run the patch? I downloaded the Firered patch, unzipped, and I am not sure what to do with the files.

2. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    okay, so here we go:

- first download GBATA from: http://www.gbadat.altervista.org/tools.htm
    - then open the rom with it, open the 'ips patcher' tab and select the .ips patch
    - then click on 'apply patch' or something similar (i can't recall it right now and sitting at a mac won't make it easier [​IMG] )

that should be pretty much it ... [​IMG]

3. ebcubs03

Member ebcubs03 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well now I just seem silly for making the topic right above this. (Right below it now.)

4. ebcubs03

United States
    Do I apply the IPS patch before or after I run it through the supercard client?

5. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    before

6. ebcubs03

United States
    Still doesn't seem to work for me...

7. ebcubs03

United States
    What am I doing wrong? I tried 2 different patches for Ruby, a patch for emerald, and they still won't work. Here's what I'm doing:

Patch the rom with the IPS patch
    Put in the supercard software (No compression, enable save, enable saver patch, enable restart)
    Put it on my SD
    boot with supercard
    Play and then save, turn off
    Turn on, save is gone

What am I doing wrong? Anyone? [​IMG]

8. Hunter

Former Staff Hunter i'ma stuffup the board

Australia
    . Normal Save: L+R+A+SELECT. Press A confirm, B Cancel. You need to backup the save into CF/SD flash card after save in the game. And Supercard will load save auto next time when loading game. You can have FOUR normal save slots, if select Enable more saver option when coverting game.

9. ebcubs03

United States
    Not sure what exactly you mean.

10. retrohead

Member retrohead GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    When you save a GBA game, in game on SuperCard, it does not save it to anywhere that you can retrieve the save file from. It infact saves to RAM temporarily allowing you to backup the save to SD/CF once you have finished playing the game. The reason for this is that SD/CF media only has a certain number of times that you can write to it and using this method prolongs the life of your media.

The way to save your games into a .sav file so you can use it as you want is as Hunter described above. Use that key combination to save to a .sav file. Alternatively to this you can use what is known as the power cycle method:

- Once you have finished playing your game and have saved (to temporary RAM), quick reboot and turn your DS back on and go back into the SuperCard menu.
    - Select the SAVER option, choose your save game file and then select backup.
    - You're now free to turn your DS off and your save game will be kept.
    - The save gaem will automatically load next time you fire up the game.

Hope this helps, it's a bit of a strange process but perhaps you can now see why it is like this. Njoy!

11. 5uck3rpunch

Member 5uck3rpunch Surf Monster!

United States

You explained that well FunkySkunk! [​IMG]

12. ebcubs03

United States
    Okay, okay, I understand now. But I still have one problem. When Diamond and Pearl come out for the DS, will I still be able to transfer my pokemon to the Diamond/Pearl Cart or rom? Sort of like how castlevania DS detects the Castlevania GBA games and unlocks rings and stuff.

Thanks for the help guys!

13. ebcubs03

United States
    [​IMG] I can get it to work 2 or 3 times, but every once in awhile it says it deletes my save due to corruption. Is this even worth it to play on supercard? Will this work on EZ4, G6, or M3?

14. surfer1966
    OP

United States

So the GBATA is a universal patch that fixes all the games with save problems and I should use that instead of running the save patch for Pokemon Firered at http://bubbz.pocketheaven.com/?system=gba&section=patch

15. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    close, but still, no [​IMG]

gbata is the patching-program. you can apply the patch to the rom with it. in order to do so you'll need all three of the following things:
    - game-rom
    - the .ips patch
    - and finally GBATA.
    then unzip/unrar the patch and the rom put them in one folder (not really necessary but easier to locate then) and follow the above mentioned steps.

edit: i got things wrong here, pokemon uses eeprom to save (if i remember correctly) so gbata should be able to patch it without the need of an .ips file ... i don't know why but i was somehow thinking of the rtc-patch [​IMG] sorry, dude!

16. surfer1966
    OP

United States
    I followed the patching instructions and started a new game in firered. After I played a bit I did L-R-CTL-A and restarted. In the saver menu I found a firered.sav file. I'm suppose to click A and save to SD? After restarting I see a pokemoo fire(in card), clicking on it I get a white screen. I also have firered.gba, clicking on it I have to start a new game of firered.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?