How to run DS ROMs on Wii U?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by TrainerAbu, May 7, 2016.

1. TrainerAbu
    OP

TrainerAbu GBAtemp Regular

May 16, 2008
    United States
    ok so I got it so I can load the Wii U homebrew loader via the Wii U's internet browser.

That's all that I've managed to do so far.

ok so how do I, like, uhm, , rip DS titles from my Wii U and replace/inject them with custom ROMs of .nds files (I already ripped them from my DS carts) ?

I wanna play some Elite Beat Agents on meh Wii U, gosh darn it :O

2. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    You'd either:
    • Dump a DS VC game you bought with DDD
    • Or pirate one from the Internet
    Then you'd replace rom.zip with whatever you want to "inject" (but the .nds file needs to be renamed to SRL) and use Loadiine to boot it. If you're going to inject DS games, I'd suggest trying to get one with the most recent emulator RPX you can find ( refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_U_(North_America)#Nintendo_DS if you're looking for base games). If you're feeling bold you could even purchase Style Savvy, which should have the most up to date DS emulator from Nintendo (unlike some of the other emulators, Nintendo actually improves the DS emulator overall and doesn't game-specific hacks AFAIk).

3. TrainerAbu
    OP

May 16, 2008
    United States
    Wow so it really is called DDD huh ... I feel like I'm in a Kirby anime cartoon right now.

Gimmie dat DDD to clobber dat dere Kirby Super Star Ultra rom !!

anyways I dunno where these things are, but that's probably cuz its friday night and I'm drunk and lazy right now, I'll look more tomarrow.

after I replace the ROM with an injected rom or whatever, how do I bring it back to the Wii U?

Thankyou.

4. jon2491

jon2491 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2014
    Use nds2wiiu to convert a rom and then load it with loadiine, no need to inject anything.

5. DinckelMan

DinckelMan Your Favorite Water Mage!

Nov 4, 2013
    United States
    I would really appreciate if someone made a thread covering this topic from start to finish. Playing DS games on a WiiU (not vWii mode if possible) would be pretty sick

6. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    Nds2wiiu is very simple

halo5307 likes this.
  7. Robin64

Robin64 Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2009
    So I have been playing around with this and found some bits of a config file that refer to RenderScale. It was set to 1, so I set it to 2. Sure enough, it doubles the DS emulation's internal renderer!

Edit: As long as you don't touch other settings in there, the game is stable and full speed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by Robin64, May 7, 2016
  8. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

were is this cfg?please what if you set it to 4 ;)

VinsCool likes this.
  9. nintendbob

nintendbob Newbie

Newcomer
    May 7, 2016
    United States
    Anyone know what the best way to get Phantom Hourglass to a fully playable state, as it requires you to "close the lid" about halfway through. There was an EU release that presumably addressed this, but I haven't had access to the files here in NA.

10. 87 Psi

87 Psi Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2016
    Australia
    under your_game\content\0010\configuration_cafe.json
    open it with an text editor or similar :)

kingraa777 likes this.
  11. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    many thanks

12. 87 Psi

87 Psi Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2016
    Australia
    You're welcome :)

13. TrainerAbu
    OP

May 16, 2008
    United States
    That increasing the internal rendered thing is freaking awesome news.

Ok so did I screw myself over by not buying Brain Age and getting Style Savy instead ?? I just purchased Style Savy because I heard on here that it had the most up to date DS emulator for the Wii U. But then I browsed my favorite site NeoGAF and they mentioned

"
    1. Purchase 'Brain Age' from the eShop
    2. It is the cheapest Nintendo DS game and is the only one that allows ALL Nintendo DS games to work"

14. eddiejo6

eddiejo6 Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2016
    Norway
    You did not screw yourself, google nds2wiiu and use that piece of software. I've tried it on three games so far, Ouendan 1 and 2 plus Zero Escape 1. And aside for one hiccup (which could've been a break in the connection between the gamepad and wiiu) I've had 0 issues so far! :D

15. Laurent592

Laurent592 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 7, 2016
    France
    Hi All. Could you please teel me how to name the folder of the NDS Game .
    WiiU games should be name in a format "name [gameID]"
    What about NDS game ?

Thanks

16. DragarX

DragarX Member

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2016
    Aside from increasing the render resolution, has anyone tried PixelArtUpscaler? Could be handy for 2d games, but don't have any, or the time to try it right now.

17. soratheultima

soratheultima GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2008
    Gambia, The
    I will attempt to try that right now

[EDIT]

doing that did nothing for me on KH 358/2 days i first tried a value of 10 then 100 and added a reduction in fps (slowdown)

the game looks really sharp on the gamepad though due to editing with the renderscaling

Last edited by soratheultima, May 7, 2016
  18. kingraa777

kingraa777 boom!

Apr 17, 2015
    Same just make up a six digit I'd for example [NDSONE]

19. SleeplessKnight

SleeplessKnight Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2016
    Canada
    Changing my render settings makes my games graphics glitch, and when I exit the rom my system crashes.

20. DoctorKitsune

DoctorKitsune Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Has anyone had any luck getting Pokemon to work? I can get Heart Gold to load up and it seems to run properly, but after a few minutes the overworld graphics turn into a garbled mess if you open the menu or get into a battle. Resetting the game fixes it, but only until you open the menu again or get into another fight.

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.