Gaming how to rip savefile

PoKeMoNs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well im playing pokemon sapphire for gba. Is there a way to take my savefile and upload it to my computer? Ty guys!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Several options
1) Nowadays the most common is to use a DS and rudolph's dumping program. http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=3228
eepinator ( http://blog.davr.org/2007/03/31/eepinator/ ) is also worth having around although it can only do SRAM (the mainline pokemon series on the GBA uses flash) and some of the 3 in 1/expansion pack supporting programs have limited abilities in this arena.

2) If you have access to an old cradle they can dump saves and roms from carts.

3) chishm affords two options http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/SendSave/ and check the bottom of the page there. Will require either a specially made cable or a DLDI capable GBA slot card.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also if you have any sort of old USB-to-GBA cable (came with traditional NOR-based flash carts back in the day), FlashManager can most likely work with the cable to rip the save files from your game carts. Note that EEPROM saves will most likely need to have every 8 bytes flipped in order for VBA to recognize them.

Personally I use my F2A USB cable, hasn't failed me yet (though the day it dies I will be a sad panda)

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, back in the day you would flash your GBA flash cart by using a PC-to-GBA linker of some sort. On the computer side, it connected via either Parallel port or (later on) USB. On the GBA end, you'd either connect it directly to the GBA link port (in which case your PC software would send over a multiboot file that flashed the cartridge with the data supplied through the link port), or it would connect directly to the flash cartridge.

The F2A USB cable connects from a USB port to the GBA link port (image here), while for instance the linker cable for the EFA-linker connected directly to the cartridge(image here). In both cases, usually you'd use that company's proprietary flashing software to communicate over the linker cable.

FlashManager is a PC software program made by some guy named Mootan that allows you to communication with the GBA over tons of different linker cables by different companies. It just so happens that the F2A USB cable is supported. Once connected, you can copy over the ROM file of the GBA game currently inserted, or read/write the save data.

The difficulty of finding a linker cable nowadays is why I'd suggest you try another option first. I mostly made my post just to give a bit of historical background into the whole thing.

PoKeMoNs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang. Looks like i wont be playing my pokemon sapphire on psp thank you for that info dan
smile.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have any other homebrew equipment for the GBA or DS? You could still get the save file ripped, more than likely, unless all you have is just the GBA and the official games and that's it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: