Hacking how to rip gba games?

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello i wanted to know something.Is it possible to delete the game data from a gba cartidge like say I have the original Pokemon Emerald i bought from gamestop and i wanted to erase everything in the cartidge to make it blank is it possible plz help me

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@mercluke cory1492's 3 in 1 tool should be able to do it and I think rudolph also made something for it.
Saves are a different matter.

One of the early DS dumpers (WRG's tweak as I recall) designed for GBA slot also featured a 2 megs and swap approach. It requires some early hardware though.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rudolph's GBA Backup Tool seems to have the same capabilities for GBA games that his NDS Backup Tool has for DS games. If that's the case, you could use it to write a blank 128KB file to the Emerald cart's save memory, erasing any save data currently on the cart. That would require a slot 1 flashcart though.

If you have a GBA flashcart, you could use that and Chishm's cart_save utility to write a blank file to the GBA game's save memory.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey ya i used the rudoplh's gba backup tool to rip my gba game it worked but know i have another question is it possible for me to overwrite the gamw with another game ?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You mean write a different save to the cart? You can do that.

If you're trying to put an entirely different game on the cart, replacing Pokemon with Megaman for example, that is impossible with official game packs. You can only do that with a flashcart.

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It just is. It's not possible. The flash memory on the real carts is read-only. It's not possible for the same reason you can't use a retail purchased movie to burn an ISO on your comp.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok hey what the latest rudolph's gba backup tool cause i cant find one and also has anyone tried writing another rom ?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and also has anyone tried writing another rom ?
There is no need to try when it will never work!

If it was that easy to reprogram official GBA cartridges, why would anybody spend hundreds of dollars on slot-2 devices to play GBA games? Official games use ROM that cannot be rewritten. Flash devices use NOR flash or fast RAM to emulate this ROM, and NOR and RAM can be rewritten/overwritten. ROM cannot. If it could be done, we would have heard about it before now.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright thanx but do you know where i can download the latest gba backup tool cuase i checked rudolph's site and he doesnt have it on there anymore?

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh ok ya i tried what i said if anyone had tried but it didnt work and what was the other tool you guys said other then rufolph's tool?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1