How to rip GB/GBC games from a GBA?

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by Insighted, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Insighted
    OP

Insighted Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2018
    United States
    I have been trying to find a way to rip Game Boy and Game Boy Color games from a Game boy advance and I haven't been able to find a way other than "using an old flashcart" which I can't find much documentation for. Is it possible to rip GB/GBC games from a GBA and, if so, what would be the best way to do it?

Apologies in advance if this is placed in the wrong thread, I didn't know whether this belonged in the GBA flashcard thread or this more general thread.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Not likely going to happen, especially not without any kind of additional hardware.

When a GB/GBC game is inserted into a GBA/GBA SP it effectively becomes a GBC by means of a hardware switch. GBA mode has no meaningful way to interact with GB/GBC carts (for starters there are rather different voltages involved).

You can build rippers easily enough
    https://web.archive.org/web/20160807211109/http://www.reinerziegler.de/readplus.htm
    https://hackaday.com/2013/05/17/reading-game-boy-carts-with-i2c/

Insighted likes this.
  3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Not really (well, not any more than creating GB/C backups on a GB/C - which would be inconvenient and inefficient)

The GB/C (and therefore, a GBA in GBC mode) have some internal executable RAM, but no way (multiboot/download play) to load something into it without using a game card; so while you could write an homebrew (that copies itself to RAM, waits for a button press allowing you to swap the card*, then sends the ROM/save** over the link cable), put it on a flashcard, and run it -- when the alternative is buying an Arduino Mega and a GB game connector (or a parallel port GB flashcard programmer), that's not too appealing anymore

* you can't hotswap GB/C games on a GBA without the console rebooting, if you don't bypass the mode switch

** different mappers, which are not trivial to positively identify (especially with some bootleg games), add significant complexity to the dumping program, which would otherwise be mostly obvious to write

Insighted likes this.
  4. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    Last edited by how_do_i_do_that, Aug 8, 2018
  5. hug0-a7x

hug0-a7x GBAtemp Fan

Jan 19, 2013
    Brazil
    If u have N64, Flashcard and Transferpak u can RIP saves and inject saves too.. and rip games.

6. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
  7. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    Mine is in a box somewhere, with the rest of the stuff for GB/C. I'll probably get around to buying another used GBC to mod with the backlight mod.

8. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Shame it's not possible to run gb/c games on a ds, that makes ripping gba games a breeze.