How to restore NAND backup (I think that is what I want to do)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by markmanjd, Apr 28, 2011.

1. markmanjd
    OP

Newcomer markmanjd Newbie

United States
    I followed the excellent process from modMii 4.5.3 (custom guide)

Part 2 was to make a NAND backup.

After I followed all of the steps the Wii was working from the USB drive. I wanted to swap to a larger drive so I copied all the stuff from the working small one to a 300 GB one. When I fired up the Wii and tried to load via USB loader it acted like the drive was not a compatible one. No problem, I turned it off plugged in the old one and it did the same thing. Then I screwed around with a bunch of stuff trying the wad manager etc.

After all of my tinkering the USB still doesn't work right and now the Wii locks up on its main menu. So I went to restore the Nand backup figuring I could just go back to the state I was in after I first did the Indiana PWNS Exploit.

Well i am told something wasn't installed as boot2 and it isn't safe cause if the system powers of during the flash I will be screwed.... Well as I see it I am screwed anyway so I want to do it. But there must be a secret hand shake or button combo that I can't find....

Anyone know how I can "just do it"?

2. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    load bootmii. and go to the icon for the restore instead of backup. simple dude.

3. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    You don't need to remove mods to start over, since everything will just be overwritten if you mod it in your current state. Before you do that, please post a sysCheck using this.

Extract that to your SD card, run the sysCheck app (not the IOS Info one) and scan all IOS. Once it's done, exit and put your SD card in your computer. There will be a file called syscheck.csv. Open it with WordPad (not Notepad) and copy and paste the contents into a post on here.

Edit: DO NOT RESTORE YOUR NAND! You can't install bootmii as boot2, and it's not safe to restore it with bootmii as IOS.

4. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    Instead of doing a nand restore, you could just run ModMii's Wizard again and rehack your Wii as if it were a virgin, the only difference between the new guide and the one you already used will likely just be your current system menu version (if anything)

when u tried the 2nd drive, did u format it properly the same way you did the first drive? If so, it's possible it's just not a compatible drive, did u check the compatibility list mentioned in your ModMii guide? Anyways, u should rehack anyways since u musta messed something up when u "screwed around with a bunch of stuff trying the wad manager etc."

edit: as JoostinOnline suggested, providing a syscheck would be helpful to figure out what u did to your Wii when u were screwing around. But it's not necessary, cuz as he mentioned when u rehack you will overwrite whatever u screwed up anyways [​IMG]

5. JoostinOnline

United States
    It would save a lot of time. Besides, there is a chance he is trying to load his HDD with a cIOS that isn't compatible. I want to see what he has installed (including the bases). Resoftmodding won't necessarily fix the problem.

6. scooby74029

Member scooby74029 "fake coder"

United States
    really no safe to restore nand if you dont have bootmii at boot 2 i have restored my nand many times and no problems here

7. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    @Joostin... well, considering hard drive #1 was working initally after modding the Wii with ModMii, rehacking the Wii and using hard drive #1 again would definitely solve the problem. But you're right, the OP could potentially solve his problem faster by installing fewer things instead of repeating the whole softmod process. [​IMG]

8. JoostinOnline

United States
    That's my bad. I thought both HDD didn't work right after the ModMii process (and that this was a second mod), and the "tinkering" was after that. Some drives aren't compatible with new cIOS, so I was pretty sure that was the cause. Thanks for pointing that out.

9. scooby74029

Member scooby74029 "fake coder"

United States
    what i was saying is that i didnt know it wasnt safe to restore if you only have bootmii ios

i have restored my nand 3 times and i only have bootmii as ios and nothing ever went wrong

10. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    Restoring with bootmii as IOS is unsafe, but no one said it won't work, so that is why you were able to do it successfully those times.

We are telling the op not to take this route though, because if anything goes wrong (power outage, problem with bootmii, etc.) then you are almost guaranteed to have a bricked wii on your hands.
    And besides, the OP can fix his wii in a much safer way, all he has to do is remod with ModMii, or maybe something even simpler if he posts a syscheck.