How to reset the RTC in GBA Pokémon games after replacing the battery

Note: I put this in NDS - Tutorials since a DS is required to do this, even though it is for GBA games. There are methods to do this without a DS, but that's not what I'm covering here since this is probably the easiest way to do this if you do have a DS and a Slot-1 flashcard.

When you replace the battery in GBA Pokémon games to fix the RTC clock that unfortunately isn't enough to fully get the clock working again. The RTC will begin again from 0 with the new battery while your save will remember that it was many days further than that when the save was created. In this tutorial I'll explain one method of resetting the save's RTC start time back to 0 so that your clock events will start working again.

For this method you will need:
  • A GBA Pokémon game
  • A Nintendo DS or DS Lite
  • A Slot-1 DS flashcard
  • pkmn-chest
Now, lets begin:
  1. If you haven't already done so, download pkmn-chest from the link above and copy it to your flashcard
  2. Turn on your DS, open pkmn-chest, and insert your GBA Pokémon game
  3. From pkmn-chest's top menu choose "Slot-2: [whichever game you're using]"
    1.png
  4. Press "X", then click on your trainer's name
    2.png
  5. Scroll down to "RTC initial time:", click A, then type "0" and press enter four times to set the day, hour, minute, and second all to "0"
    3.png
    • Note: If you care about the time being accurate you can adjust so that the time matches in game, you'll want the day to be "0", and by moving the hour back by one hour/minute/second it will move the in game time forward by one hour/minute/second or vise versa
  6. Scroll down to "RTC elapsed time:" and set this to all "0" too
    4.png
  7. Back out of the trainer menu and click "Exit"
    5.png
  8. You can say "Discard" to changes to the chest, but say "Save" to changes to the cartridge
    6.png
  9. You're done, time based events will work again!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice. I guess we could call this a programming oversight in the 3rd gen Pokémon games. If the initial time is reset to zero (and the "battery has run dry" message is triggered) the games should set a flag in the save – and do such a reset automatically once a new battery is detected.

That said, I hope my batteries will last for the next years… and I hope to remember pkmn-chest when they give up.

Fixed a flaw in the games. Thanks for this.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Another option (arguably the most technically correct one) is to use a cheat device or save editor* to enable the clock reset flag and variable, then boot the game and press L+B+Select on the title screen to use the official clock setting tool

* Full disclosure - I contributed this feature to PkHeX a year ago or so :)

Reactions: Ketchup901

amanpanman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS. It has been such a saga of trying to figure this out (from trying to fix the berry glitch by connecting it to XD which actually doesn’t work, then FR/LG/E but still didn’t work b/c of this RTC issue aaaaaa). I wanted to cry seeing my berry trees growing!!! But ok, now there’s a different issue, which I haven’t found much people talking about and I wanted to ask you if you had found a fix for this also, or anything. So the berries grow, but now the other daily events don’t work (Lilycove Lottery, berry gifts) and I saw on a Reddit thread that someone kind of mentions this issue:

r/pokemon/comments/lo4i7n/internal_battery_replacement_pokémon_emerald/

“What I have found is that, in order to get time events WORKING AGAIN, you will have to wait for 999 DAYS: In Pacifidlog Town there's this guy that will give you a TM based on the frendship of your Pokémon every 7 days. Until you replace the battery, if you speak to him, he will tell you to wait for 999 days, however after replacing the battery the countdown will begin on 999 instead of 7!”

It seems like if I restarted my game, time-based events should work again but I don’t want to lose my save data, which is why I found your tutorial and pkmn chest EXTREMELY helpful. But then I also ran into this issue (as I mentioned, the berries grow but other daily events don’t work), and although my elderly gentleman doesn’t tell me I have to wait 999 days, he tells me I need to wait 140 days (in my copy of Sapphire) and 127 days (in my Ruby), which is not forever, but I wonder if waiting will actually even work. I did mess around with the RTC some more and got the days down to 8 in Ruby but I don’t particularly know what I’m doing so it feels like I just lucked out lol. (I inputted the RTC initial time as like 410 days and the RTC elapsed time at smth like 380 days. I wasn’t sure if I had to set it all forward past 366 days to not encounter the original berry glitch. But yeah I’m super confused about how to properly manipulate either of the RTC values LOL. I’m not even sure if changing the RTC value will bring back the daily events??)

H e l p xD and THANK YOU <3

Reactions: banjo2 and Pk11

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
OP
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS. It has been such a saga of trying to figure this out (from trying to fix the berry glitch by connecting it to XD which actually doesn’t work, then FR/LG/E but still didn’t work b/c of this RTC issue aaaaaa). I wanted to cry seeing my berry trees growing!!! But ok, now there’s a different issue, which I haven’t found much people talking about and I wanted to ask you if you had found a fix for this also, or anything. So the berries grow, but now the other daily events don’t work (Lilycove Lottery, berry gifts) and I saw on a Reddit thread that someone kind of mentions this issue:

r/pokemon/comments/lo4i7n/internal_battery_replacement_pokémon_emerald/

“What I have found is that, in order to get time events WORKING AGAIN, you will have to wait for 999 DAYS: In Pacifidlog Town there's this guy that will give you a TM based on the frendship of your Pokémon every 7 days. Until you replace the battery, if you speak to him, he will tell you to wait for 999 days, however after replacing the battery the countdown will begin on 999 instead of 7!”

It seems like if I restarted my game, time-based events should work again but I don’t want to lose my save data, which is why I found your tutorial and pkmn chest EXTREMELY helpful. But then I also ran into this issue (as I mentioned, the berries grow but other daily events don’t work), and although my elderly gentleman doesn’t tell me I have to wait 999 days, he tells me I need to wait 140 days (in my copy of Sapphire) and 127 days (in my Ruby), which is not forever, but I wonder if waiting will actually even work. I did mess around with the RTC some more and got the days down to 8 in Ruby but I don’t particularly know what I’m doing so it feels like I just lucked out lol. (I inputted the RTC initial time as like 410 days and the RTC elapsed time at smth like 380 days. I wasn’t sure if I had to set it all forward past 366 days to not encounter the original berry glitch. But yeah I’m super confused about how to properly manipulate either of the RTC values LOL. I’m not even sure if changing the RTC value will bring back the daily events??)

H e l p xD and THANK YOU <3
Hmm, it's been a while since I worked on pkmn-chest but if I remember correctly "RTC Initial Time" is what the RTC was at when you started your save file and "RTC Elapsed Time" is what the RTC was at when you last saved.

I did a bit of testing and it looks like lowering the "RTC Initial Time" (wrap around to 65535 to go below zero, and you just need to change the first number, you can press enter to skip the next three) reduces the amount of days the gentleman wants you to wait as you're making the game think you started your save a longer time ago, I'm not sure the affect this has on other RTC things though. When I first moved it to 0 that got the gentleman to give me the TM but seemed to be triggering the berry glitch so I went to 65535 and then just tried going down a hundred or so a few times and after a couple tries it appears that berries are growing and the gentleman is giving TMs. Not sure if this is the best way to go about it, but with a quick bit of testing it seems like it works(?)

Alternatively maybe you could try what Ryccardo said above, I didn't realize that was a thing when making this and haven't tried it myself, but it may work better.

amanpanman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, it's been a while since I worked on pkmn-chest but if I remember correctly "RTC Initial Time" is what the RTC was at when you started your save file and "RTC Elapsed Time" is what the RTC was at when you last saved.

I did a bit of testing and it looks like lowering the "RTC Initial Time" (wrap around to 65535 to go below zero, and you just need to change the first number, you can press enter to skip the next three) reduces the amount of days the gentleman wants you to wait as you're making the game think you started your save a longer time ago, I'm not sure the affect this has on other RTC things though. When I first moved it to 0 that got the gentleman to give me the TM but seemed to be triggering the berry glitch so I went to 65535 and then just tried going down a hundred or so a few times and after a couple tries it appears that berries are growing and the gentleman is giving TMs. Not sure if this is the best way to go about it, but with a quick bit of testing it seems like it works(?)

Alternatively maybe you could try what Ryccardo said above, I didn't realize that was a thing when making this and haven't tried it myself, but it may work better.

Sorry for my late reply; and thanks for testing this out!! I tried that and you're right, the TM gentleman in my Ruby now gives me TMs on the correct countdown time (every 7 days) but other RTC events haven't been fixed unfortunately :( like the daily lottery or berry gifts. I'll look into what Ryccardo mentioned, but in the meantime I guess I can also let the 140 days count down in my Sapphire just for funzies and see if what that other guy was saying in the Reddit thread will work (actually waiting the amount of days and RTC events resumed...) ; since I also dug up my old Pokemon Platinum and have now been preoccupied with that xD

Thanks again for your help!! <333

Reactions: Pk11

FerMora

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Another option (arguably the most technically correct one) is to use a cheat device or save editor* to enable the clock reset flag and variable, then boot the game and press L+B+Select on the title screen to use the official clock setting tool

I want to move my save file between my OG Emerald cartridge and gba emulator, so when I took my save file and boot it up in my mobile and take it back to my cartridge, all the berries disapear.

In many post I saw this metod but, in non of them explain which day should be selected (you can select from 1 to 9999) and thats the main reason for not working in my mobile (the game has an early 2000´s date and my mobile is in 2022, so I can´t use the same save file because the game thinks that I altered the time forward and, if I save in the emulator and take it back to the game, the game thinks is a problem because is "the future" and shows the time in the clock setting as ?####). Would you explain me how to fix this problem?

FerMora

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I want to move my save file between my OG Emerald cartridge and gba emulator, so when I took my save file and boot it up in my mobile and take it back to my cartridge, all the berries disapear.

In many post I saw this metod but, in non of them explain which day should be selected (you can select from 1 to 9999) and thats the main reason for not working in my mobile (the game has an early 2000´s date and my mobile is in 2022, so I can´t use the same save file because the game thinks that I altered the time forward and, if I save in the emulator and take it back to the game, the game thinks is a problem because is "the future" and shows the time in the clock setting as ?####). Would you explain me how to fix this problem?

CreamOWheat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've followed these exact steps but nothing happens. I have tried this without any firmware (blank screen) and with Ace3DS on my DS Lite. The Ace3DS menu opens but there is nothing there to do anything with. These steps say nothing about what firmware to use and I'm very confused.

Ketchup901

Trophies
XP
Country
Moving the elapsed time back and forth did not fix the time of day for some reason. Worked when I changed the initial time though.

Pumpernickel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I just did that. After doing so, the "elapsed time" still is what it was before (about 18 minutes sooner actually), but the "initial time" is now 64437 days and change (was 0 days and change before your process above). Am I supposed to change the initial or elapsed times after following your steps above or leave them alone?

Last edited by Pumpernickel,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: He's right behind me, isn't he? +1